Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carrier Queens, how pathetic

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
mancitymick said:
Sounds like your are a carrier queen

Nope, never served on one, only visited 2 in over 16 years! In fact only done T22 batch 3's.

Not in a spec that normally goes to sea too often, sadly. I just see the reason for a short deployment and understand a little bit about the capability/force generation programme. And I stress little.

dickhead

Banned
SELJUK said:
A whole six weeks! What was the bloody point of leaving the wall?
It keeps the harbour tugs busy I 'spose!
But after 6 weeks foreign service will there be sufficient Counsellors to deal with their and their wives and their partners emotional problems after such a prolonged absence?

6 weeks! Bloody hell!
No wonder the navy is having such recruitment problems

SELJUK

War Hero
What bugs me more than anything else is the prominence they give to these movements. It's as if they are achieving something exceptional everytime they leave the wall and return!

Get 'em to sea and keep 'em there!

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
SELJUK said:
What bugs me more than anything else is the prominence they give to these movements.
Why not, I can't quite see why you are so animated about this. So they posted a story in the local rag and some other papers to announce the carrier was coming back in and this time, it was with a new captain. Why not?

SELJUK said:
It's as if they are achieving something exceptional everytime they leave the wall and return!

Perhaps they did, do you have any idea what they did when they were away?

SELJUK said:
Get 'em to sea and keep 'em there!

Doing what? Buring fuel needlessly, keeping ships company away from families for no real need? Creating more defects onboard....

They go to sea when there is a need, a point - which is what I'm afraid your posts lack.

paulb1912

Midshipman
6/7 weeks thats all the MOD can afford on fuel etc ffs

I used to love going away for 6/7 months

and yes I was on a carrier too Invincible

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
paulb1912 said:

Who said thats all the MOD can afford on fuel? - read it again, I said they went for that period because that was what the task required, and in response to SELJUK I asked what was the point of going to sea for the sake of it if it was just going to burn up fuel for no reason.

scouse

War Hero
paulb1912 said:

I used to love going away for 6/7 months

and yes I was on a carrier too Invincible
Try 2 years 125,000 nautical miles 10,000 deck landings :thumright: 6/7 weeks Luvely/Jubley :thumright:

I can't believe all this crap after just 7 weeks. To read that the new Captain wanted his brother to fly a Harrier during the fly past beggars belief. You could just imagine him pulling his pud and saying I'm bloody marvellous me.

SELJUK

War Hero
wave_dodger said:
paulb1912 said:

Who said thats all the MOD can afford on fuel? - read it again, I said they went for that period because that was what the task required, and in response to SELJUK I asked what was the point of going to sea for the sake of it if it was just going to burn up fuel for no reason.

Many apologies I had no idea I was replying to the font of all knowledge - Flag Officer Movements - and that all replies to this forum had to have a point.

Maybe Wave Dodger considers six weeks at sea as achieving something....I don't!

dickhead

Banned
wave_dodger said:
paulb1912 said:

Deary deary me! A darkened room beckons. The task requires? Another darkened room looms.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
SELJUK said:
wave_dodger said:
paulb1912 said:

Many apologies I had no idea I was replying to the font of all knowledge - Flag Officer Movements - and that all replies to this forum had to have a point.

Clearly you had nothing of consequence to add to that post either?

I am, of course, nothing like the font of all knowledge, but its obvious what little I did know about the Carriers movements was significantly more than yours. All you were trying to do was jump on the bandwagon belittling the Navy.

I still have yet to see anything material in your posts, you obviously cannot even grasp that going out to do a six week task may actually achieve something. Is it that difficult to grasp?

SELJUK

War Hero
wave_dodger said:
SELJUK said:
wave_dodger said:
paulb1912 said:

Clearly you had nothing of consequence to add to that post either?

I am, of course, nothing like the font of all knowledge, but its obvious what little I did know about the Carriers movements was significantly more than yours. All you were trying to do was jump on the bandwagon belittling the Navy.

I still have yet to see anything material in your posts, you obviously cannot even grasp that going out to do a six week task may actually achieve something. Is it that difficult to grasp?

Why do I get an image of Captain Mainwaring in my minds eye?

Chill out you pompous so and so. You may have to go to sea one of these days...getting through a kidney hatch with an inflated ego will be difficult!

scouse

War Hero
Just looking through my Commissioning book. HMS Victorious did 2x 6 week sea trials/flying station trials. Before deploying to the Far East,on the order"Let go head rope" :thumright:

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
SELJUK said:
Why do I get an image of Captain Mainwaring in my minds eye?

Looking in a mirror perhaps?

SELJUK said:
Chill out you pompous so and so. You may have to go to sea one of these days...getting through a kidney hatch with an inflated ego will be difficult!

Very droll, you have managed to add nothing of any value in your posts. Lashed out at something you clearly didn't understand then have a schoolboy pop at someone who gave a perspective you don't agree with.

From a long time back and my sea time on carriers --lots of sea time --
with fixed wing and rotary aircraft on board

The only fly pasts the FAA squadrons ever did was when they disembarked to shore at sea prior to the carrier
coming into harbour.

As previously mentioned ----6-7 weeks -- at sea was more like 6-7 months ---- Mediterranean or East of Suez. Home and in harbour time was minimal.

Happy days

:nemo: :nemo:

lsadirty

War Hero
Methinks that SELJUK may be referring to extended trips in Northern climes that many of us "Cold War warriors" did in SSNs without fanfare, without families on the jetty, and without much thanks from anyone, before they sent us back North to do it all again - or did I just dream the 70s ?

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
lsadirty said:
Methinks that SELJUK may be referring to extended trips in Northern climes that many of us "Cold War warriors" did in SSNs without fanfare, without families on the jetty, and without much thanks from anyone, before they sent us back North to do it all again - or did I just dream the 70s ?

I took my Grandson on a visit to the Submarine Museum a couple of weeks ago, well worth a visit if you haven't been. During the tour of the Alliance (at the start of the tour of the boat the guide asks if there are any Submariners in the group, normal form is not to own up, but knowing that 10 year old Grandson would pipe up I coughed to it).

We get to the Control Room and the tape of the depth charge attack is played, after it finished a woman in the group asked the guide if he had been depth charged by the Germans, no says he but I was by the Russians, but we are not allowed to talk about that. The woman then turned to me asks the same question. I was depth charged by the Royal Navy says I. (live aim off firing of either Squid or Limbo off of Portland).

Exit stage left one very confused lady.

YouAreHavingALaugh

Lantern Swinger
The initial point of my post was not that they had only been away for 6 weeks.

The point being made was;

Yes it is only six weeks so WHY do they want a flypast, 6 months fair enough.

It fits in with the we are a through deck cruiser and we are very special.

I and many others have encountered ex carrier ratings joining a FF or DD and then finding out what the real navy is really like without lots of manpower and stores.

I also know many that have joined carriers after many years of FF/DD and found out how easy it is on one.

I could go on and on.

But, carrier queens. Ha Ha they do not know what the real navy is.

brigham600

War Hero
Geepers said:
I can't believe all this crap after just 7 weeks. To read that the new Captain wanted his brother to fly a Harrier during the fly past beggars belief. You could just imagine him pulling his pud and saying I'm bloody marvellous me.

Could not agree more Geepers and it very much sounds like; "Look at the size of my toy, its much bigger than those other train sets the other boys have"

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil BBC: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: On board The Royal Navy's New Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
soleil "Carrier Sailors Lead Naval Involvement In VJ Day Commemorations" History 4
MoD_RSS Plastic carrier bag sales slashed by more than 95% since 5p charge introduced MoD News 0
Waspie USN Carrier fire Current Affairs 3
soleil FB: Forces News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth Sails Back Into Her Home Port Of Portsmouth As A "Fully Trained" Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
soleil Portsmouth News: "34 Great Old Photos Of The Famous Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Hermes" The Fleet 1
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Prince Of Wales To Carry Out Investigation After Flooding Onboard" The Fleet 16
soleil Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity - Build Your Own Aircraft Carrier Charity 2
MoD_RSS Indian parliamentarians tour UK's largest aircraft carrier MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Britain's second carrier sets sail for sea trials MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Finishing touches put to £30 million project to prepare Portsmouth for second aircraft carrier MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: £500 bill for unlicensed waste carrier MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Vehicle seized and waste carrier to pay almost £5,000 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: £3,000 penalty for illegal waste carrier MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Plastic carrier bags: Gove sets out new measures to extend charge MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Russian carrier ship which ran aground off Cornwall is refloated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Uncooperative illegal waste carrier fined after getting his wish for day in court MoD News 0
RabC Carrier News The Fleet 29
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Minister welcomes first of new carrier-ready helicopter fleet MoD News 0
soleil FlightGlobal: "Analysis: UK Gets Ready To Rejoin Aircraft Carrier Elite" The Fleet Air Arm 2
L Carrier Roles and General Questions? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 46
MoD_RSS News story: Queen to commission namesake aircraft carrier in just three weeks, Defence... MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: F-35 jet and new batch of UK pilots cleared for Carrier take-off, Defence... MoD News 2
MoD_RSS News story: Britain's second aircraft carrier named in Rosyth MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: How Dstl helped launch the HMS Queen Elizabeth carrier MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Britain’s flagship Carrier could arrive home as early as next Thursday, Defence... MoD News 7
MoD_RSS News story: Portsmouth hosts US carrier strike group ahead of multinational exercise MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Jetty completion marks major milestone in Carrier works MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Minister visits a hub for Queen Elizabeth Class Carrier Programme MoD News 0
F Aircraft carrier with peeled back flight deck. History 13
B That time the yanks dropped three greased pigs on a aircraft carrier and flew away. Diamond Lil's 0
MoD_RSS News story: First sailors join new aircraft carrier in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Early completion of carrier crew accommodation is celebrated MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER Hercules (yes HERCULES!) landing on carrier The Fleet 22
MoD_RSS News story: HMS Defender joins French carrier on counter Dash operations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: More beds completed for carrier crew MoD News 0
Stirlin A look inside Queen Elizabeth Carrier. Current Affairs 26
MoD_RSS News story: British warship set to support French carrier group on ISIL mission MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: DIO welcomes Caledonia carrier crew to new rooms MoD News 1
MoD_RSS News story: US Navy Vice Admiral shows commitment to combined carrier strike MoD News 0
Seaweed New Jap carrier .. Current Affairs 7
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary gets update on aircraft carrier project MoD News 0
Topstop New Carrier Transport Aircraft? The Fleet Air Arm 4
soleil Western Gazette: "Somerset Museum Restores World's First Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet Air Arm 2
T Happy April Fools: Government orders a third carrier, HMS Princess Diana Nautical Jokes 0
scouse Hitlers aircraft carrier The Fleet Air Arm 6
T start in june, air craft carrier? The Fleet 28
soleil E/Standard: Navy’s New Carrier So Large The Crew Need An App To Find Their Way About The Fleet 59
N Is Illustrious an aircraft carrier or not? The Fleet 26
soleil Waikato Times: "Happy 21st, Here's The Keys To An Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 3