Carrier Killers.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I would also imagine that a large slice of their export economy relies on the West, much aggression could cause serious harm to their pockets.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Anyone read Tom Clancy's 'The Bear and the Dragon'? OK, it's fiction and from a few years ago, but describes the (alleged) political Chinese mind-set.

And, apart from making a few noises, nobody REALLY tried to stop them building the huge military island/airstrip on the Spratly Islands.

Stirlin

War Hero
Hypersonic glide vehicles , traveling at 8 x the speed of sound would they just pass through the many bulkheads of a carrier and out the other side without detonating ?. Exocet about 700 mph.
Only a stoker and would like an opinion from you ballistic experts.......or am I just being thick as
pig muck and the answer is quite simple.

Waspie

War Hero
Hypersonic glide vehicles , traveling at 8 x the speed of sound would they just pass through the many bulkheads of a carrier and out the other side without detonating ?. Exocet about 700 mph.
Only a stoker and would like an opinion from you ballistic experts.......or am I just being thick as
pig muck and the answer is quite simple.
I would GUESS the detonation would be down to how the weapon was set up! Proximity, direct contact or a timed fuse, (nano seconds).

However, I would really like to add I don't have a hoofing clue!!!!

Interesting question. Think it must have been asked/answered in a few threads. Defo not an expert but my understanding is that, despite some newer steamers reportedly being “coke can thick” in certain areas, modern complex warships have various armoured compartments which mean there are large areas of a steamer that would detonate a warhead.
That said, I suppose the point is that if you end up wearing something moving at Mach 8 (or probably even Mach 4) then it’s going to hurt even if it doesn’t go bang. I’m pretty sure the shockwave travelling through the ship’s structure would probably incapacitate most matelots and systems onboard. There again - controlling something moving that fast and vectoring it onto a moving target must also be unbelievably difficult.

Latest Threads