CARRIER BASED WAFU's

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by THEONLYGASMAN, Feb 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :evil: AS A LONG SUFFERING STOKER FROM THE REAL ARK ROYAL BACK IN THE 70's. IT NEVER CEASED TO AMAZE ME THAT THE AVERAGE WAFU SPENT MORE TIME IN BED THAN ANYBODY ELSE. MOST OF THEM HAVE REACHED DIZZY HEIGHTS OF "SENIOR RATESHIP" WITHOUT EVEN GOING TO SEA. NOT THAT I AM IN THE LEAST BIT DISGRUNTLED (SOD IT, YES I AM) WHY OH WHY DO THEY CALL THEMSELVES MATELOTS THERE IS MORE SIGNS OF SEA LEGS ON TRAINEES THAT CROSS THE TORPOINT FERRY. ANYWAY GOOD TIMES HAD BY ALL EVEN THOUGH IT WAS MANY YEARS AGO. 28 YEARS IN THE ANDREW AND STILL GETTING OUT TO SEA DIVING. MORE THAN CAN BE SAID FOR THE AVERAGE WAFU.

2. ALL THOSE ENGINES MADE YOU DEAF, SHIPMATE?

Turn down the Caps Lock key and stop shouting....... Personally, I think that Carriers should not be used as first sea drafts for anyone - far too cushy, give people the wrong impression of life at sea. You know you are pampered when your biggest problem is not getting a clear Sky signal at sea....

3. "Why do they call themselves Matelot's"... because they don't want to be called "Crabs"... nuff said I think?

4. If you Fishheads had worked harder at school, you could have been WAFUs as well.

5. We need the extra pay since we spend all that time ashore...

6. 8 about till i die.............................does that ring any bells

7. Don't get the Fisheads talking about 8 and Bells, they'll never shut up!

8. As a long suffering wafu on the real Ark Royal we had to spend more time in bed,cause coal shovellers like yoo were blowing so much crap out of the funnel we were getting poisened every time we went on the roof.you are aptly named gasman!Kind regards sir.

9. At least fishheads had a trade when they left the RN - Painters and Decoraters.

10. Funny you should say that

11. it was in the rules

couldnt work on the dinky toys unless well rested

12. I recommished on 809 on Ark. On rejoining for my final trip in '76 a young stoker tiff was having a go about WAFU's and the fact that they didn't do much sea time, so I put him in the picture.
    The conversation went something like this.
    "OK son, let's get this sorted, it's the first evening at sea of a long deployment. I was on Hermes 66-68, Bulwark 69-72, been on 809 on Ark Royal since 73 and it's now 76. Just how much more f***ing sea-time do you think I could fit in?....
    He bought me a beer (Courage Sparkling) and never spoke of such things again!

13. But Tim in all them years how much time was spent onboard at sea????????????? and not in some RNAS while the carrier was in Guz/Pompey/Singas etc.

Nutty

14. WAFUs and seatime. Two words that do not deserve a mention in the same phrase.

1. Last on, first off for every deployment.
    2. One flight only and its always OFF.
    3. Sat around at air stations thinking it counts as sea time!
    4. Doing 8 hours about (The same as the MCO always do during an exercise) but the woos never have to get up for action stations etc coz its all 'safety' Get a grip.
    5. Everyone hate them.
    6. Thinking the flight deck is 'their' recreation area. As if.
    7. FOD only applies on a flightdeck and not in the jungle.
    8. Wearing flight suits even though some of the pilots have not actually flown for years.
    9. Telling everyone how 'important' they are and how else would you get the mail onboard (We have email now lads!)
    10. Thinking they had a Field Gun Crew. How many times did you win it boys?!?

15. funny how all the fisheads end up in faa forum your sites boring lads !!

16. Na! its just so simple to wind up airey fairies we pop in now and again just to keep the muddy, bottom of the RN Pool stirred, before returning to the upper waters of the main pond to meet real sea going folk be they Skimmers or Boat People.

Nutty

Tim's not taking the bait then and giving us a break down of his sea time. Can we now form our own opinions on how much that was then.

17. Do I see a bit of jealosy and envy here? :( Of course most of what you listed is true,but not all!Lee on solent was a definite sea duty,you could see the sea from the control tower. 8) The flight deck was our playground,so there! :wink: The only 'E' males in my day were stokers,anyway the best dear johns came in an envelope. :( As for the field gun I'm sure we won a few,maybe ex members of the F.A.A field gun crew can give us the true picture.Surely not 'everyone' hated us? :(

18. can we please clear somthing up i was never a squadron aircraft handler always ships co ispent 3 yrs on ark royal 76/79 2 1/2 years on invicible 80/82 2 1/2 yrs on new ark royal 83/85 71/2 yrs at sea pompey/guzz out of 14 not bad eh ! one of the reasons i left the mob was due to being drafted to daedalus main gate and was told no more sea time for 5 to 7 yrs points syrtem clogged up so left :roll:

19. Spike we must have been on the Invincible at the same time mate. Were you onboard down South 82? Hangar or F/d?
    RoofRat

20. I was a squadron Handler on 819, 702, 815 & 801 & Couldn't believe the attitude to the squadrons when embarked.
    When part of the line crew, as a NA, I had to refuel, Marshall, spread & fold rotors as well as corrosion work, I enjoyed this much more than being ships coy.
    It can in usefull when we had a lynx on Hermes as I was the only one who knew about the brakes/locks etc & brakes on seakings. Shocking really.
    On Invinc, I had a good barny with Lt Cdr Bevan but luckily Bill "Thumper" Hookins managed to seperate us without incident on the deck. But afterwards he (bevan) wanted it pushed further but I was backed up by my squadron CO, SP, AEO who had to explain the priority of getting an engine over the fwd lift.

All the AHs were spot on but like I said the attitude to embarked squadrons, the only reason we have carriers stunk.