Carpentry

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by thereverend, Apr 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone any good with a chisel? I'm in the process of building a swing/slide/jungle gym style thing for me nephews first birthday and wondered if there is any experienced chippies about that would allow me to bend their ear about a few things!?

2. Rev

What are you using to make it and what kind of design do you have in mind?

3. Basically not sure what's going to be the best joints to use for the main frame of the swing which is going to be triangular. Was thinking of using mortise and tenon joints but not sure if it's the best idea with them being at an angle. Will there be any strain on the joints with them being at an angle?

The main frame for the slide is going to have a big square platform. With it being right angles I'm going to use mortise and tenon joints alongside lap joints and am happy enough knowing that it will be strong enough.

4. Are you going to create a special surface beneath it, just in case he slips off?

5. Nah, it's going on the lawn so he'll be alright.

6. Make sure your wood is very smooth - you don't want any splinters in his little fingers.

7. Oh aye, gonna give it all a good sanding. Got until August to get it built like so will have plenty of time to make it child friendy with rounded edges and corners and the such.

8. There's bound to be a Rum Ration grandad around soon who's a dab hand at this kind of thing.

9. Bugger, forgot that we're in Lil's......

You'd be better off with one of these:

[​IMG]

10. Heh, cheers fellas. I did think when Soliel said special surface if she meant bear pits with sharpened bamboo.

As for that swing, would go well next to the big cross and special chair in my.......*ahem* study

11. Is Soleil allowed to say things like that? I didn't think such gutter language passed her lips/fingertips 8O