Careers office

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Matt88, Mar 5, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, does one still apply for the navy by going to the armed forces careers office. Talking to an advisor and getting an application form for the navy which you fill in and post back to the office. And later I would receive a letter informing me of when my recruitment test is?

2. So you no longer get a form from your armed forces careers office? I purpose to attend my local office next Friday as I had the day off. I also have a few questions to ask.

3. Then go in and ask!

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Applications are completed & submitted online however you can call into an AFCO if you wish (mon-fri 0800 - 1600 usually). Alternatively, you can can just give an adviser a ring and have a chat to sort out any queries you may have and save yourself a trip 03456 07 55 55 (mon-fri 0800-2000, Sat: 09:00–18:00, Sun: 10:00–16:00).

5. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

Who is the duty adviser over the weekend Ninje? Civvie?

6. Thanks, can you just pop in the AFCO, or do you need an appointment?

7. Ninja_Stoker

You're advised to give your local AFCO a ring to check someone is available to discuss career options. Contact details on the AFCO link in signature block.

The telephone enquiries line, is manned by a contracted company.

8. Thanks so if I ring the 03456 07 55 55 number, it won't be navy careers advisers I'd be talking to?

9. Could I also ask how long from applying is it till you sit your recruitment test? Do you get the practice booklet for this test sent to you?

10. Will they be able to discuses the waiting lists for various jobs over the phone?

11. Make the effort to go along to your AFCO, dress smart, make a good first impression and have a face to face conversation with someone in uniform who will be able to answer your questions. Contrary to popular perception, you will get more information in person than you will gain from a series of single questions on the Internet.

That's not a critique, just a constructive suggestion. All the best.

12. Thanks, I will ring up and see if I can see someone at my local AFCO on Friday, as got it off work.

13. Ninja_Stoker

Why not simply ring the number to find out?

If your questions cannot be answered we don't make a selection decision based on an enquiry, if you subsequently wish to visit.

The vast majority of applicants nowadays visit the AFCO for the first time when attending to sit the recruiting test.

14. Trainer

So this is TPUK on that line as well Ninje?

15. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, TPUK.

16. TPUK?

17. Trainer

Don't start me...

• Like Like x 1
  18. No wonder the recruitment process is so slow.

19. Ninja_Stoker

Once the applicant is "handed-off" to the AFCO we normally test them in two weeks and interview within a further two weeks, or that's the target.

By and large the hold-ups tend to be at the medical stage if the applicant doesn't provide copies of their medical notes relating to any conditions listed or perhaps doesn't take & pass the PJFT within the prescribed timescale.

Entry date allocation tends to be governed by numbers required, number of training place vacancies versus number of applicants.