Careers Help

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Sam7, Apr 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As you might have gathered from the title I'm applying to join the Royal Navy this year, I went to the careers office wanting to be a warfare officer but was talking into applying to be an officer in the marines and was told by the advisor that I ought to join the RMR in the mean time because it would take a long time to process my application. I have since been designated cp4 colour blind and cannot join the marines as an officer and I have switched, yet again and my application is now to join as a logistics officer. The problem is that the original application is going through to reserves rather than to be a logistics officer and I was hoping to start training as soon as possible so I didn't end up sat on my arse doing nothing for weeks. I don't really know whats going on, I've told them that I'm switching to Logistics but when I went for the pshychometric test they seemingly knew nothing about it and when I mentioned it, just suggested I change the application from RMR to RNR. The upshot is that my application seems to be very mixed up and I'm confused as to what to do or who to ask about whats happening, I also don't know if my score on the recruitment test was high enough to join as a logistics officer or not. Can someone give me some advice please. Thank you.
  2. I think you need to talk to your AFCO officer and stop your application then simply reapply. Stops the confusion and is a fresh start. Just make sure your new application form is correctly filled in.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hmmn, what reason was given for considering the Royal Marines rather than Warfare? Was it to do with Visual Acuity (Not Colour Perception) standards? ie: Are you below VA2?

Likewise, you are too late to apply as an RM Officer for this years single intake in September I'm afraid. Closing date for RM Officer applications for Sept 08 entry was 31 Dec 07.

Correct, with Colour Perception graded at CP 4 you cannot be a Warfare Officer either unfortunately- Board of Trade rules, not RN. For warfare officer (Apart from Aircrew & ATC) you need to be VA2 CP1.

You are perfectly entitled to make a dual application for Other Rank and Officer at the same time, however, there's little point joining the RMR if you intend being a Logistics Officer in less than a year as it will take you a year or more to finish RMR training. If you insist on a dual application, you have to submit two application forms- one for each, so as both the ACLO & the AFCO can process seperate applications simultaneously.

The advice is to ring your nearest AFCO tomorrow (link below) speak to the Careers Adviser, give him/her your details and ask if you scored high enough for Officer in the Recruiting Test

If you did, and assuming you are eligible to apply as an Officer, you will need to collect, complete & submit an Officer Information Form (Your other application forms are not valid if you've made an application as a Rating/Other rank). You will then be called forward for SIFT interview & need to tell your AFCO that you no longer wish to join the RMR & withdraw that application.

If you didn't pass high enough for Officer, but did for either RMR or RNR, you have several choices:

1. Re-sit the Recruiting Test for Officer in 12 months. In the meantime, you're probably better off joining the RNR if you meet the eyesight standards. The RMR seems a little pointless if you cannot complete training.

2. Join the RN as a Rating or RM as an Other Rank and apply for officer at a later date once serving. Be aware you can only join RM other rank, Logistics or Engineering trades (except AET) with CP4.

Hope that helps & good luck in your aspirations