Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Career Transition

kanchana

Interested in some thoughts on Career Transition
1. is enought time given to prepare for resettlement/career transition
2. is the £534 resettlement allowance anough to book courses needed
3. If you attend a carrer transition workshop it opens access to righ job and linkedin groups but these are blocked by DII and cant be accessed when deployed is there any advantage to an early workshop
4. At what point prior to leaving is it safe to book courses without having them cancelled for service reasons
5. At what point can an employer reasonably look at employability ie 2 months or final month

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
You don't state your rate/rank, branch or background or how long until your terminal date, which may help with replies.

It is never too early to start thinking about things, though obviously if you are two years away, then actively seeking a job is a bit daft!!

I was sent to sea for my last 18 months but promised all courses etc would be available and given to me when I was later free to attend. Guess what? Nada! So be prepared to be upset.

I would say you are 100% eligible to take up a new job the day you commence terminal leave - that way there can be no disappointment on either side.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best! Good luck!

scabz

Lantern Swinger
1. With 5 years notice and plenty of graduated resettlement time in there for paperwork and planning, worked OK, but start early
2. Resettlement allowance is enough to book some courses, you might want/need more. You can fund them yourself.
3. Advantage of an early CTW is that it starts getting you into the right frame of mind to make the move outside.
4. Depends on your unit.
5. Start working on day 1 of terminal leave, if you want (or take terminal leave then unpaid time off and chill out).

Sumo

War Hero
depends as said above, where you are in the process I started to look about 7-8 years in advance, looked at jobs saw what qualifications were asked for, most wanted degrees, I went and studied for one with the OU, mainly at RN expense, if you are literally weeks away, good luck.

kanchana

Should realy have stated 2 reasons for asking. 1 For my own transition. 2. For a research project so i am interested in peoples experiences and thoughts on this good or bad as not evryone gets the same treatment or luck with drafts

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS News story: Veterans encouraged to sign up for career transition events MoD News 0
dapperdunn Career Transition Partnership The Quarterdeck 8
BFRS BFRS Career Transition Event The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
MoD_RSS Personalised career support for hundreds of military spouses MoD News 0
C ME career stream Joining the Royal Navy 6
MoD_RSS Career Insight: Kyle, Senior Lawyer, Government Legal Department MoD News 0
jrdmd Career Discussion Joining the Royal Navy 7
MoD_RSS Analysis Function Career Story: Charlotte O'Brien MoD News 0
A OR2 full career pension rates 1998 Finance & Pensions 8
MoD_RSS Veterans offered second career in Defence Science MoD News 0
0 Studied law - hated it, now want to pursue a career in engineering with the navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Career Insight: Mass, Legal Trainee, Government Legal Department MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Career fair for people with disabilities in Dashoguz MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Career Insight: Jake, Legal Trainee, National Crime Agency MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Career Insight: Chantal , Legal Trainee, Competition and Markets Authority MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Working as a part-time teacher after a career change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Up to £35k bursary and early career payments for new teachers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DIO shares construction career opportunities with local school MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Career Insight: Milan, Legal Trainee, Competition and Markets Authority MoD News 0
C Marine Engineer Officer Career change Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Career boost for almost half a million frontline NHS staff MoD News 0
L Joining the Navy as a Dual National and Career questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
C Joining as AET - Career Options The Fleet Air Arm 2
MoD_RSS News story: Career Framework MoD News 0
L MA Career Progression UPO/Careers Office 2
O LSO Career path RFA 2
M FAA Pilot career progression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS Speech: Career Fair for Persons with Disabilities: speech by Jemima Gordon-Duff MoD News 0
R Marine Engineering (Technician) qualifications and career path Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
D would joining the navy police be a good career choice? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
N Can political affiliations affect your career? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
D 'Career Discussion' Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
T Career change. Mechanic to Royal Navy. Thoughts? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
A Does RNR help a future RN career Joining the Royal Navy 5
S Branch/Career Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 39
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp ...I have never seen anything like it in my career.” Diamond Lil's 2
D The career of a royal navy pilot. Joining the Royal Navy 19
D How could they mess my sons Navy Career up !!! SO VERY SAD Joining the Royal Navy 21
Simon - Quest Magazine New QUEST: essential course and career information for serving and ex-Service personnel Current Affairs 0
I Medical Assistant and Mental health student nurse career timeline/progression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
BoatyMcBoatFace ET-(WE) career questions Joining the Royal Navy 0
W Career advisor withdrawing application = permanent ban? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
S AET future career prospects Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
S Career as a Nurse in the Navy at 27/28?... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
D Career path sea spec/mw Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
BaldRik RFA career in the event of Scottish independence?! RFA 28
P Advice on career path Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
T Warfare Officer Training Pipeline & career progression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
C Looking into RN career Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
ToonPatriot Logistics Officer Career Pipeline Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22