Career Progression

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
:)One way to settle the "more captains than ships/more brigadiers than tanks" argument would be to have an independent audit conducted. Admirals ain't going to suggest we need less Admirals, nor Chief Stokers less Chief Stokers.

My organisation has reduced manning by 25% but needs to increase output by 40%. The solution? Employ another couple of Commanders.

:)One way to settle the "more captains than ships/more brigadiers than tanks" argument would be to have an independent audit conducted. Admirals ain't going to suggest we need less Admirals, nor Chief Stokers less Chief Stokers.

My organisation has reduced manning by 25% but needs to increase output by 40%. The solution? Employ another couple of Commanders.
What the RN really need is for all these surplus Captains to take their turn in the barrel:D

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
Apart from that was a year old - what do people NOT get about the Navy and Defence being significantly wider than just driving a ship?

You want to influence a country and act sensibly there (no offence) -appoint an LET(ME) as the Naval Attache! Apart from he/she probably really not want to do that - are they equipped?

Want to generate a future Admiral....I know lets throttle all promotion back to the barest numbers of SO1/OF5...Oh wait that won't work???

We need people with post command experience at DE&S, NATO, EDA, in the US....oh no, horror!

Naff, lazy, sensationalist reporting by people with an agenda..

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
260 officers at Captain rank is just a little toppy for 79 warships.
Really - and the OF5 in charge of Raleigh, BRNC... it just goes on. Think about how wide Defence is, the influence you want to exert. How you want to generate and use the experience of people. 260 in 31,000 is a drop in the ocean.

Ships in this context are an irrelevance!

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Just as a matter of interest, in the past few years of redundancies how many Officers of Commander rank and above have qualified?

cjg375

Lantern Swinger
Just as a matter of interest, in the past few years of redundancies how many Officers of Commander rank and above have qualified?
Around 42% of 230 ish officer redundancies. Only 1/3 of those could be Capt RN or Cdre (where the redundancy stopped) but many of those said any rank.

The bigger question could be why we have needed to go from 14% of the RN being officers in 1980, through a long period at 17-18% but have now crept up to almost 21% officers at a time when we have fewer ships than ever really.

http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn02183.pdf see page 7

G

guestm

Around 42% of 230 ish officer redundancies. Only 1/3 of those could be Capt RN or Cdre (where the redundancy stopped) but many of those said any rank.

The bigger question could be why we have needed to go from 14% of the RN being officers in 1980, through a long period at 17-18% but have now crept up to almost 21% officers at a time when we have fewer ships than ever really.

http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn02183.pdf see page 7
Jointery.

cjg375

Lantern Swinger
Wah wah oops. Try again. We were in NATO and had DAs and NAs in the 80s. I'm pretty sure the EDA and Allied Defence Forces wouldn't need a 7% rise in Officers or even the 3% in the last 4 years.

Here's another query for you. Officers were 18% of the RN in 2010. Why did they only see 12% of the redundancies. Answers on a post card please ........

Latest Threads