Career Progression

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by flymo, Oct 20, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

:)One way to settle the "more captains than ships/more brigadiers than tanks" argument would be to have an independent audit conducted. Admirals ain't going to suggest we need less Admirals, nor Chief Stokers less Chief Stokers.

My organisation has reduced manning by 25% but needs to increase output by 40%. The solution? Employ another couple of Commanders.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  2. What the RN really need is for all these surplus Captains to take their turn in the barrel:D
  3. How is the daily mail still in business when they just churn out this utter shit.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Because it quoted on here daily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. 260 officers at Captain rank is just a little toppy for 79 warships.

6. They don't just Command ships. Defence is somewhat complicated these days....
    • Braindead Braindead x 1
  7. Theres these things called submarines even.
  8. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Apart from that was a year old - what do people NOT get about the Navy and Defence being significantly wider than just driving a ship?

You want to influence a country and act sensibly there (no offence) -appoint an LET(ME) as the Naval Attache! Apart from he/she probably really not want to do that - are they equipped?

Want to generate a future Admiral....I know lets throttle all promotion back to the barest numbers of SO1/OF5...Oh wait that won't work???

We need people with post command experience at DE&S, NATO, EDA, in the US....oh no, horror!

Naff, lazy, sensationalist reporting by people with an agenda..
    • Like Like x 3
  9. wave_dodger

Really - and the OF5 in charge of Raleigh, BRNC... it just goes on. Think about how wide Defence is, the influence you want to exert. How you want to generate and use the experience of people. 260 in 31,000 is a drop in the ocean.

Ships in this context are an irrelevance!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Until Pusser obtains the same PR team that the RAF use then people will not get the full picture.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Why use logic, facts and accurate information when you can put across an incorrect and skewed version to cause outrage? Bless the media.
  12. Simple, money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Just as a matter of interest, in the past few years of redundancies how many Officers of Commander rank and above have qualified?
  14. Once you get so high you don't get redundancy you just don't get another appointment.
  15. Around 42% of 230 ish officer redundancies. Only 1/3 of those could be Capt RN or Cdre (where the redundancy stopped) but many of those said any rank.

The bigger question could be why we have needed to go from 14% of the RN being officers in 1980, through a long period at 17-18% but have now crept up to almost 21% officers at a time when we have fewer ships than ever really. see page 7
  16. Jointery.
    • Braindead Braindead x 1
  17. Ok. That'll probably explain why the Army and RAF have gone up 4.5 and 6% respectively since 1980 too. Thought we were meant to be being more efficient these days.
  18. wave_dodger

Jointery and the need to fill posts in NATO and EDA and in Allied Defence Forces, to operate with the FCO (Das and NAs) etc etc
  19. Wah wah oops. Try again. We were in NATO and had DAs and NAs in the 80s. I'm pretty sure the EDA and Allied Defence Forces wouldn't need a 7% rise in Officers or even the 3% in the last 4 years.

Here's another query for you. Officers were 18% of the RN in 2010. Why did they only see 12% of the redundancies. Answers on a post card please ........