Career possibilities after career as an aircraft controller

matth1997

I’m wondering if there’s any aircraft controllers out there who have transitioned into civilian life and could give me some information on what career paths being an aircraft controller has helped onto. The reason being I know you can do your JATCC but I believe if you wanted to transition into civilian ATC you’d have to go about it as if you were a newbie so what are prospects like after being an aircraft controller? Thanks for any information you can offer.

Waspie

War Hero
Can't help directly. BUT!! Have you looked at jobs on the periphery of ATC?
Running flight simulators etc. Airport admin? Flight Operations? (Preparing flight plans for pilots).
I wasn't AC, I was a aircrewman. I went down the Flight Operations route. They required a minimum of CG7282, Flight Operations and Flight Dispatch and some management qualification. Also, offshore use HLO's. Helicopter Landing Officers on the rigs but the courses are mega expensive and they expect you to be qualified. You need an Sea Survival Qual and the HLO's course to work offshore as a HLO.
The problem was, then as now, aviation seems to down size, with personal being the first to be shed. There are loads of jobs out there but you will find you will have to do most of the digging and research yourself. The civil Job Centres haven't even heard of half the jobs in the aviation business. Oh, by the by. I never ended up in the aviation world. I wrote to every Oil company, airline and airport in the UK and a few abroad with buggar all success.
Good luck, hopefully @Alfacharlie will be more use. He still works at height - albeit in the roofing trade!!!

Alfacharlie

War Hero
The closest you’ll get to ATC on leaving is either starting out from scratch, getting a sought after job in Flight ops or air traffic assistant.
The MOD have a deal with NATS saying JATCC isn’t civvy recognised. Although, the same job. The MOD would have lost everyone after they completed JATCC, as they would go to a higher paid job.

matth1997

Can't help directly. BUT!! Have you looked at jobs on the periphery of ATC?
Running flight simulators etc. Airport admin? Flight Operations? (Preparing flight plans for pilots).
I wasn't AC, I was a aircrewman. I went down the Flight Operations route. They required a minimum of CG7282, Flight Operations and Flight Dispatch and some management qualification. Also, offshore use HLO's. Helicopter Landing Officers on the rigs but the courses are mega expensive and they expect you to be qualified. You need an Sea Survival Qual and the HLO's course to work offshore as a HLO.
The problem was, then as now, aviation seems to down size, with personal being the first to be shed. There are loads of jobs out there but you will find you will have to do most of the digging and research yourself. The civil Job Centres haven't even heard of half the jobs in the aviation business. Oh, by the by. I never ended up in the aviation world. I wrote to every Oil company, airline and airport in the UK and a few abroad with buggar all success.
Good luck, hopefully @Alfacharlie will be more use. He still works at height - albeit in the roofing trade!!!
Thanks for your post there’s some good ideas in there, I’m just torn between something I think I’ll enjoy during my time in the navy which is the aircraft controller and something that will directly set me up with some good prospects in the future such as aircraft technician when I eventually leave the Navy. I don’t want to feel like I have to go back to the bottom of the ladder after several years in the Navy.

Waspie

War Hero
Thanks for your post there’s some good ideas in there, I’m just torn between something I think I’ll enjoy during my time in the navy which is the aircraft controller and something that will directly set me up with some good prospects in the future such as aircraft technician when I eventually leave the Navy. I don’t want to feel like I have to go back to the bottom of the ladder after several years in the Navy.
You’ll be seriously lucky if you find a job after the mob where you won’t be back at the bottom.
Civvie interviewers have a loverly leveller!!
“What civilian experience can you bring”. It’s a killer question.
Just choose wisely.
I saw chief tiffs at Bournemouth airport doing basic maintenance with spotty civvie youths doing the techie stuff.
It’s life. You just have to accept, overcome and crack on.

matth1997

You’ll be seriously lucky if you find a job after the mob where you won’t be back at the bottom.
Just choose wisely.
I saw chief tiffs at Bournemouth airport doing basic maintenance with spotty civvie youths doing the techie stuff.
Oh well that’s a bummer! Appreciate you taking your time for the detailed replies stuff to go think about now..

Dusty70

War Hero
Just choose wisely.
Totally disagree mate - I spent my terminal grant on a Management Diploma at Plymouth Uni (then College) and haven't looked back - I got a management job whilst I was on terminal leave as what civvy street is desperate for are good management skills - I ended up with a 6 figure salary and have not been out of a job since the day I left the mob

Waspie

War Hero
Totally disagree mate - I spent my terminal grant on a Management Diploma at Plymouth Uni (then College) and haven't looked back - I got a management job whilst I was on terminal leave as what civvy street is desperate for are good management skills - I ended up with a 6 figure salary and have not been out of a job since the day I left the mob
I do know a few who have been lucky to do what 'you' have achieved. My son for one. But in general I have found them to be the minority. You only have to look at the numbers on the streets after service life. Many surrender to the post service industries, police/prison service/ military security, (MGS/MPGS) etc. All good steady jobs.
Most leavers try to progress in their trained field but from my observations, the few who succeed though seem to be the ones who look outside their military field.
My son was SE (Survival Equipment) He is now on an embarrassing salary working as a coder in the 'E' currency game!! It too meant going back to school/Uni gained the degree etc and never looked back. (In fact most of his 'inducements' to stay with his current employer have been more than my annual wage). A few, not many have started at the bottom, talent recognised and promoted within to good salaries and futures. Me!! I've been a plodder, happy to do anything as long as it pays and offers a good pension. (My only must have).
What also has to be taken into account is the timing of leaving. I can only speak for myself, but I found leaving in the middle of a depression condemned not only job seekers but also those in employment.
What I don't want, is the OP to think it's an easy transition - it isn't. You have to work bloody hard. Back to school/Uni or be prepared to start again from the bottom.
I'm simply a realist. You only get out what you put in. Invest in yourself, don't be put off by rejection. There will be a job for you after the services. Simply don't expect it to be handed to you on a plate.

slim

War Hero
Just because you trained as an aircraft technician does not mean that is what you have to do when you leave the service. Service engineering training is extremely good and you will be able to transfer your engineering skills to most sectors in industry.
I was a Wafu pinkie but on leaving worked on Submarines installing the SINS system and then type 43s installing Phalanx. Followed by a spell on optical gunfire control. After that I worked in a computer workshop (hated it) and finally worked in the tobacco industry installing high speed cigarette making machinery worldwide (loved it) So go engineering any branch (especially submariner) and get set up for life :)

matth1997

Just because you trained as an aircraft technician does not mean that is what you have to do when you leave the service. Service engineering training is extremely good and you will be able to transfer your engineering skills to most sectors in industry.
I was a Wafu pinkie but on leaving worked on Submarines installing the SINS system and then type 43s installing Phalanx. Followed by a spell on optical gunfire control. After that I worked in a computer workshop (hated it) and finally worked in the tobacco industry installing high speed cigarette making machinery worldwide (loved it) So go engineering any branch (especially submariner) and get set up for life :)
Exactly so this is my dilemma I’m kind of facing I feel I’d enjoy my life as an aircraft controller more than as an engineering technician and the rise to promotion is also much faster than that of a technician. However, the skills gained working as an engineering technician would be a lot more widely transferable in the civvy world so looking beyond my time in the Navy this is probably the route to go.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Exactly so this is my dilemma I’m kind of facing I feel I’d enjoy my life as an aircraft controller more than as an engineering technician and the rise to promotion is also much faster than that of a technician. However, the skills gained working as an engineering technician would be a lot more widely transferable in the civvy world so looking beyond my time in the Navy this is probably the route to go.
Go for it. I’ve been out for about 14 years, but it was the hardest course I ever did. But, once passed and qualified, best job ever.
Once onboard, nobody has a scooby about what you do. So, you can walk around with a clipboard looking busy doing nothing!
Winner.