Career pipeline.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by sophielou007, Jan 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

I am currently looking for information about the career pipeline for an Air traffic control officer including the enrolment from SIFTS onwards, if anyone could help then that would be great,

Thank you,

2. I'm bumping this thread to avoid making a new one.

I am also curious about the career pipeline for ATC officer, but more as to what happens after BRNC. The RN website says that after my second term at BRNC there will be grading at Yeovilton. However, elsewhere on the site it says that ATC officers go to Shawbury after the second term.

If anyone could point me in the right direction of information or anything I would be grateful!
  3. Your grading takes place at Yeovilton, but your professional course (Joint Air Traffic Control Course) takes place at Shawbury. As far as I'm aware, your grading takes place before you enter BRNC. On completion of BRNC you may then be sent on hold to Yeovilton or Culdrose to await loading onto JATCC.

If you have any questions about JATCC or the branch, give me a shout and I'll do my best to answer them.
  4. Thank you, makes sense now.
  5. Unless it's changed since I went through recently:

1) BRNC
    2) Grading, Yeovilton (whilst still "belonging" to BRNC but after having passed out)
    3) Holdover, normally Culdrose or Yeovilton unless you can swing something else you want to do and get permission
    4) JATCC, Shawbury
    5) First unit posting, most likely Culdrose or Yeovilton though it is theoretically possible you could do other things - this is v v rare.

(6) Move between various land jobs as CVF gets cancelled and all the sea jobs go.
    7) Leave or join the RAF.)
  6. Congratulations, WAC!!

You have just received a prompt, authorative, accurate and expletive-free response from the otherwise infamous MLP.

(I know not how you did it but be careful to treasure it for it's rarity value alone. :wink:)
  7. Now, I know I should have given up trying to apply common sense in the RN some years ago, but I question the logic of paying to train someone through BRNC and then carrying out the grading. Who other than the Navy would spend money on someone only to see if they have the aptitude for their chosen profession at a later date?

When not faced with retardedness I have my moments Bob.

8. Could you possibly tell me how long is spent doing the grading and then JATCC?

9. How else would you get enough X(SM)?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Grading - about 45 minutes dragged out into 1-2 weeks. JATCC - 28 weeks.