Career in civilian MOD?

cutter

Badgeman
I've been ruled out of a career in the Navy absolutely and forever by my eyesight and I'm currently considering a career in the civilian MOD.

I currently have what most people would consider a 'good' job which pays well and has a future, but it's basically bean counting and bores me to tears. I would ideally like to pursue a career as an analyst or defence procurement.

Has anybody here worked for the MOD or other dept's in the civil service? If so I'd appreciate your input.

Cheers
 
cutter said:
I've been ruled out of a career in the Navy absolutely and forever by my eyesight and I'm currently considering a career in the civilian MOD.

I currently have what most people would consider a 'good' job which pays well and has a future, but it's basically bean counting and bores me to tears. I would ideally like to pursue a career as an analyst or defence procurement.

Has anybody here worked for the MOD or other dept's in the civil service? If so I'd appreciate your input.

Cheers

I wish you well on this, but the CS is drastically cutting recruitment and staff to keep within their budget restraints foisted upon them by Mr Brown, although they still seem to be gaily recruiting hordes of consultants, and agency staff, and throwing loads of taxpayers money at them to do the self same jobs that they have created by making the previous occupants redundandant.
 

cutter

Badgeman
Cheers Whitemouse, this is good info to know. I'm currently a trainee quantity surveyor so maybe a better way into defence procurement might be to wait until I'm fully qualified in this and try and move into the defence industry as a consultant somehow.

I'm still interested to hear everyone's opinion on this though.
 

Not_a_boffin

War Hero
If you enjoy stultifying process with career advancement only via either A) Dead mens shoes or B) Embracing ever more irrelevant nonsense dressed up as science or best practice, then MoD's the place for you.

Don't get me wrong - some of the people you will work with, mil and civvy are top quality and in many ways the tempo of some jobs can keep you wired for weeks at a time. Ultimately however, you'll find yourself increasingly disgruntled with the inability to get anything meaningful accomplished. It's also fair to say that MoD is increasingly losing its technical depth and has in many ways lost critical mass in a number of areas.

By the way - I don't work for MoD, but have been a civil servant in the Research Agencies and had a proper job before that. Am back outside again now and spend an awful lot of time dealing with MoD. If you want to make a difference and you can't join the mob, then pick a good defence contractor (preferably one that's not Big And Expensive) and good luck.
 

cutter

Badgeman
Not_a_boffin said:
in many ways the tempo of some jobs can keep you wired for weeks at a time...If you want to make a difference and you can't join the mob, then pick a good defence contractor

Thanks Not_a_boffin for such good advice. A job that is invloving and meaningful is exactly what I'm after but I do realise the civil service can be frustrating, my old man worked for them, ableit in Customs & Excise.

The irony is I could have easily walked into a defence contractor straight from school/A-levels as I'm from a BAE Systems shipyard town. However, all I wanted to do at that age was get away.
 

SILVER_FOX

War Hero
Cutter - I recommend the quantity surveyor route as you will at least have transferable skills to fall back on.

Whitemouse - standard practice. Reduce staff, but not workload. Increase contractorisation and consultants to backfill gaps in knowledge and skills because many of the experienced people walk when there is a redundancy package. When the costs associated with contractors and consultants grow too high, cut some more staff, increase the workload, increase the costs, reduce morale of actual staff, bring in consultants, etc, etc.

Who would be a civil servant?

SF
 
Not_a_boffin said:
If you enjoy stultifying process with career advancement only via either A) Dead mens shoes or B) Embracing ever more irrelevant nonsense dressed up as science or best practice, then MoD's the place for you.

Don't get me wrong - some of the people you will work with, mil and civvy are top quality and in many ways the tempo of some jobs can keep you wired for weeks at a time. Ultimately however, you'll find yourself increasingly disgruntled with the inability to get anything meaningful accomplished. It's also fair to say that MoD is increasingly losing its technical depth and has in many ways lost critical mass in a number of areas.

By the way - I don't work for MoD, but have been a civil servant in the Research Agencies and had a proper job before that. Am back outside again now and spend an awful lot of time dealing with MoD. If you want to make a difference and you can't joing the mob, then pick a good defence contractor (preferably one that's not Big And Expensive and good luck.

Having worked for MOD contractors for over 25 years I agree with much of what you say, mind you these days I think promotion in the MOB is almost as bad as the MOD. Equally having been bought and sold by Messy Beast they are not all bad, it depends where you are and which part you work for just like parts of the MOD.

I would suggest the first thing to do is to decide what sort of work you want then look carefully at the opportunites both in government service and industry.

Good luck

Peter
 

cutter

Badgeman
SILVER_FOX said:
Cutter - I recommend the quantity surveyor route as you will at least have transferable skills to fall back on.
SF

Cheers for you advice SF. I suppose I should stay with Quantity Surveying. My employer is paying for my masters degree part-time which will include elements of project management which will be transferable, plus it's a specific 'trade' which I can fall back to make money if needed.

It's just boring as p*ss.....:p
 

Not_a_boffin

War Hero
Cutter

If it's THAT shipyard town - I can't say I blame you. One road in, one road out. Grew up across the water from it and was never remotely tempted to go there!
 
Hi Silver Fox,

Too true I'm afraid. My better half is in the CS, and is very dsillusioned, and can't wait to retire in 18 months. I work in the same building, and because I've been here a few years, a lot of the staff are now friends, and the anger and disappointment is totally lost on the Treasury, even the Unions seem not to be too bothered from the info I get.
The cuts are all in the admin/support staff, so it makes you wonder who is actually going to do the work, but they are still recruiting the higher grades - it makes you wonder who is actually doing the budgeting and how they come to such a decision :?

Ah! the intricacies of Government thinking.....?!?
 

cutter

Badgeman
Not_a_boffin said:
Cutter

If it's THAT shipyard town - I can't say I blame you. One road in, one road out. Grew up across the water from it and was never remotely tempted to go there!

Yep, that'll be the one! The 'Wart On The Arse Of The Lake District' I believe we are affectionately known as :lol:

But it's the good life up there really. Six years in London has taught me that much.
 

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top