Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Career advisor withdrawing application = permanent ban?

I applied for the RNR a while ago and after a phone call from the careers advisor the application was withdrawn. I was angry and a bit sad but after calming down realising he probably made the right decision.

I don't want to go into why, or make excuses for myself. But my medical took such a long time and by the end it was finally passed the rest of my life was in pieces. I think in a funny way, you need to have a more stable life for the reserves, you don't just sign up go away and forget all your troubles. At one point I was just trying to keep a roof over my head and the future was so bleak that I was totally demotivated for anything.

I signed up hoping for the best and maybe I shouldn't have. In the future when my life is more stable and more conducive, I would like to try again. Would this episode be held against me?

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I'll leave it to @Ninja_Stoker for a better response, but suffice to say in my experience, I'd say the service is not keen on Tyre Kickers. We have people who come to recruiting events one after the other, apply and the not see it through repeatedly.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
In my experience, there's virtually always far more to a story than actually declared when it comes to an application being knocked-back.

A repeated history of unreliability over a protracted period, often over several months/years, will inevitably result in a rejection eventually.

Bottom line is the Royal Navy is an employer, accountable to the government and the taxpayer, not a charitable organisation that is wont to 'give someone a break' when they rock-up with a hard luck story.

If two-way communication is maintained during an application to join the service, then discretion can be applied at the time. Excuses made after the event tend to fall on deaf ears, particularly if the individual claims to be the victim rather than accepts responsibility for their actions or inactions.

Best of luck, no harm in talking to your AFCO to ask under what circumstances a follow-up application may be considered.

Hi ninja, yes I accept that. And I know it was fault and I didn't fight it. But I know what changes needs to be made. The phone call was got off to a bad start when I answered with who the hell this as it was a private number and went downhill from there.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Hi ninja, yes I accept that. And I know it was fault and I didn't fight it. But I know what changes needs to be made. The phone call was got off to a bad start when I answered with who the hell this as it was a private number and went downhill from there.
Fair one. I guess you have to ask how you would've reacted if you rang your AFCO and the person answering your call said the same to you as they picked-up the receiver.

Possibly a letter expressing regret may help build bridges.

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Fair one. I guess you have to ask how you would've reacted if you rang your AFCO and the person answering your call said the same to you as they picked-up the receiver.

Possibly a letter expressing regret may help build bridges.

You mean you don't? :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Career Insight: Kyle, Senior Lawyer, Government Legal Department MoD News 0
jrdmd Career Discussion Joining the Royal Navy 7
MoD_RSS Analysis Function Career Story: Charlotte O'Brien MoD News 0
A OR2 full career pension rates 1998 Finance & Pensions 8
MoD_RSS Veterans offered second career in Defence Science MoD News 0
0 Studied law - hated it, now want to pursue a career in engineering with the navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Career Insight: Mass, Legal Trainee, Government Legal Department MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Career fair for people with disabilities in Dashoguz MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Career Insight: Jake, Legal Trainee, National Crime Agency MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Career Insight: Chantal , Legal Trainee, Competition and Markets Authority MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Working as a part-time teacher after a career change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Up to £35k bursary and early career payments for new teachers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DIO shares construction career opportunities with local school MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Career Insight: Milan, Legal Trainee, Competition and Markets Authority MoD News 0
C Marine Engineer Officer Career change Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Career boost for almost half a million frontline NHS staff MoD News 0
L Joining the Navy as a Dual National and Career questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
C Joining as AET - Career Options The Fleet Air Arm 2
MoD_RSS News story: Career Framework MoD News 0
L MA Career Progression UPO/Careers Office 2
O LSO Career path RFA 2
M FAA Pilot career progression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS Speech: Career Fair for Persons with Disabilities: speech by Jemima Gordon-Duff MoD News 0
R Marine Engineering (Technician) qualifications and career path Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
D would joining the navy police be a good career choice? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
N Can political affiliations affect your career? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
D 'Career Discussion' Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
T Career change. Mechanic to Royal Navy. Thoughts? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
A Does RNR help a future RN career Joining the Royal Navy 5
S Branch/Career Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 39
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp ...I have never seen anything like it in my career.” Diamond Lil's 2
MoD_RSS News story: Veterans encouraged to sign up for career transition events MoD News 0
D The career of a royal navy pilot. Joining the Royal Navy 19
K Career Transition The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 6
D How could they mess my sons Navy Career up !!! SO VERY SAD Joining the Royal Navy 21
Simon - Quest Magazine New QUEST: essential course and career information for serving and ex-Service personnel Current Affairs 0
I Medical Assistant and Mental health student nurse career timeline/progression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
BoatyMcBoatFace ET-(WE) career questions Joining the Royal Navy 0
S AET future career prospects Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
S Career as a Nurse in the Navy at 27/28?... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
D Career path sea spec/mw Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
BaldRik RFA career in the event of Scottish independence?! RFA 28
P Advice on career path Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
T Warfare Officer Training Pipeline & career progression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
C Looking into RN career Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
ToonPatriot Logistics Officer Career Pipeline Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
Ingerama Cyber Security career change The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
C TMO - Career Prospects Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
JockJack Recruitment Test Resit and new Career Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
V Career Advice/Potential Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9