Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cardiovascular training

Shakey

War Hero
Can any club swinging types tell me if there is any benefit of training at more than 90% of predicted max heart rate?

Mine occasionally goes up to 92% whilst on a good uphill slog whilst running. (Am using one of them fancy Polar heart monitor gadgets.)

Does this do more harm than good?

Cheers.
 
Shakey said:
Can any club swinging types tell me if there is any benefit of training at more than 90% of predicted max heart rate?

Mine occasionally goes up to 92% whilst on a good uphill slog whilst running. (Am using one of them fancy Polar heart monitor gadgets.)

Does this do more harm than good?

Cheers.




An old post, but found it whilst browsing and thought I'd reply.

Shakey it depends on the purpose of your training and also on any goals/targets you have.

Once you've calculated your HRTB (Heart Rate Training Band) you normally work at a certain percentage of this depending on your goals. i.e. to burn fat you would work at 60-70% of your HRTB for 30-60 mins.

Pushing your heart rate to 90% + obviously means your digging out blind and that in turn is definitely going to benefit your cardiovascular fitness. The problem is, its impossible to sustain that over long periods of time. To counteract this, I would recommend fartlek training. This method of training pushes your body hard but also gives it short periods of recovery time, enabling you to go harder, faster, longer. A bit like the energizer Bunny mate!!! :wink:

If you need any advice or clarification, feel free to PM me.

Cheers

Spenny
 
Spenny, I use sprint work up hills in 6-8 sets of six, with a 30 second rest in between sets, I find it really gets the heart and lungs working and improves my stamina for playing sport, do you have any other types of exercise that would assist me, as I get bored with doing this every week and I am nearly back to full fitness after my injury.

Cheers for any tips.
 
rugger_bob said:
Spenny, I use sprint work up hills in 6-8 sets of six, with a 30 second rest in between sets, I find it really gets the heart and lungs working and improves my stamina for playing sport, do you have any other types of exercise that would assist me, as I get bored with doing this every week and I am nearly back to full fitness after my injury.

Cheers for any tips.




Alright RB, hows things mate.

I also do loads of hill sprints - for short, sharp fitness there's nothing better. Try any of the following, which work for me:

1. Find a good long hill (I use Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh) and sprint hard for 10 secs.
Stop, turn around and facing downhill do 25 push ups (decline press).
Turn around and run uphill again for 20 secs and then stop and facing uphill do 25 sit ups (incline crunches)
Carry on with this system adding 10 secs to every sprint time and use, squat thrusts, v-sits, close arm press-ups etc varying between incline and decline on the exercise.


2. Try pushing your body harder by avoid the rest stops. Find a circuit/loop and sprint uphill as hard as you can. When you get to the top, jog the level and downhill section. Once back at the start point bomb- burst away uphill again and repeat this 6-10 times depending on the severity of the circuit.


3. If you have a training partner alternate sprinting with exercises. One sprints uphill and jogs back, whilst the other does an exercise at the bottom of the hill (push-ups for example).
As soon as the runner is back you switch, without any rest stops. As the runners time will increase through fatigue the more he runs, so your push-ups, sit-ups etc will last longer, giving your body and intense workout.

Good luck mate


Spenny
 

Tartan_Terrier

Badgeman
I wouldn't trust the 'maximum heart rate' thing too much. There are a couple of different formulae, the most common being 220- your age.

If this were in the least accurate I'd be dead.

I regularly run at over 90% of my theoretical maximum, and when I'm really pushing it have been up to 111% of what my max. should, according to this formula, be.
 
Tartan_Terrier said:
I wouldn't trust the 'maximum heart rate' thing too much. There are a couple of different formulae, the most common being 220- your age.

If this were in the least accurate I'd be dead.

I regularly run at over 90% of my theoretical maximum, and when I'm really pushing it have been up to 111% of what my max. should, according to this formula, be.


Thats because we are Scottish and Speshul Soliders mate!! :wink:
 

slim

War Hero
I looked at the Brittney photograph and didn't need any exercise to push my heart rate up!
 
spenny said:
rugger_bob said:
Spenny, I use sprint work up hills in 6-8 sets of six, with a 30 second rest in between sets, I find it really gets the heart and lungs working and improves my stamina for playing sport, do you have any other types of exercise that would assist me, as I get bored with doing this every week and I am nearly back to full fitness after my injury.

Cheers for any tips.




Alright RB, hows things mate.

I also do loads of hill sprints - for short, sharp fitness there's nothing better. Try any of the following, which work for me:

1. Find a good long hill (I use Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh) and sprint hard for 10 secs.
Stop, turn around and facing downhill do 25 push ups (decline press).
Turn around and run uphill again for 20 secs and then stop and facing uphill do 25 sit ups (incline crunches)
Carry on with this system adding 10 secs to every sprint time and use, squat thrusts, v-sits, close arm press-ups etc varying between incline and decline on the exercise.


2. Try pushing your body harder by avoid the rest stops. Find a circuit/loop and sprint uphill as hard as you can. When you get to the top, jog the level and downhill section. Once back at the start point bomb- burst away uphill again and repeat this 6-10 times depending on the severity of the circuit.


3. If you have a training partner alternate sprinting with exercises. One sprints uphill and jogs back, whilst the other does an exercise at the bottom of the hill (push-ups for example).
As soon as the runner is back you switch, without any rest stops. As the runners time will increase through fatigue the more he runs, so your push-ups, sit-ups etc will last longer, giving your body and intense workout.

Good luck mate


Spenny

Cheers mate, I will give it a go apart from the press ups for the moment, due to injury. :D
 

nutty_bag

War Hero
snapdragon said:
Masturbation will push your heart rate up too.

How rude!! see the thread on diamonds for that one snappers!!! getting someone else to do it for you is even better!! :lol: Or if your single lay on your arm until is goes numb and then spank said veiny vicar and it APPARENTLY feels like some one else is doing the deed :wink: :lol:
 
I'm too adept at doing it with my other hand, numb or not, i'd know it was me.

I put my slim figure down to the solo CV excercise i get.
 

nutty_bag

War Hero
snapdragon said:
I'm too adept at doing it with my other hand, numb or not, i'd know it was me.

I put my slim figure down to the solo CV excercise i get.

Steady on snapmeister nutty_bags getting a lob on here you can hang a wet towel on!!! :lol:
 
I've gone and lowered the tone again! I'm sorry, i swear to God i'm not like this in real life. Well i am like it but i keep me gob shut.
 

nutty_bag

War Hero
snapdragon said:
I've gone and lowered the tone again! I'm sorry, i swear to God i'm not like this in real life. Well i am like it but i keep me gob shut.

:lol: :lol: Bet you are you minxmeister!! Oh god i'm flirting again and as if i didn't have enough women problems!! My problem is walking. I cant seem to get far with all the women hanging onto my bloody ankles!! :lol:
 
No, really! I've done this on virtually every thread i've posted on. I don't mean to, i just don't get the chance to be like this any other time!

I do truly apologise to the original poster, really.
 

nutty_bag

War Hero
snapdragon said:
No, really! I've done this on virtually every thread i've posted on. I don't mean to, i just don't get the chance to be like this any other time!

I do truly apologise to the original poster, really.

Err why are you apologising exactly?? This forum is an excellent intro into life in the RN. You really dont need to kiddo it's good that you have a good sense of humour!! Dont mind Nutty_bag he's just bitter about women per see!! :oops: :oops:
 
nutty_bag said:
snapdragon said:
No, really! I've done this on virtually every thread i've posted on. I don't mean to, i just don't get the chance to be like this any other time!

I do truly apologise to the original poster, really.

Err why are you apologising exactly?? This forum is an excellent intro into life in the RN. You really dont need to kiddo it's good that you have a good sense of humour!! Dont mind Nutty_bag he's just bitter about women per see!! :oops: :oops:

I know, but i keep spinning posts into sordid little Snappyness. I'll keep it to Lil's next time :)
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS New synthetic datasets to assist COVID-19 and cardiovascular research MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Ambitions set to address major causes of cardiovascular disease MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New ROI tool shows best ways to prevent cardiovascular disease MoD News 0
G Royal Navy Marine Engineer Professional Training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
D RNP Training Joining the Royal Navy 51
MoD_RSS PHE launches new Psychological First Aid training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Expansion of prison kitchen training scheme to cut reoffending MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New UK Cyber Security Council to be official governing body on training and standards MoD News 0
R RFA training Bases / Shore Est 2
MoD_RSS Changes to the training you need for an SIA licence MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New kitchen and dining facility at Cameron Barracks enhances training experience for armed forces MoD News 0
R Observer Training Pipeline The Gash Barge 9
D WARFARE OFFICER TRAINING + CAREER PIPELINE (up to date, 2021) Joining the Royal Navy 10
MoD_RSS New carbon efficient accommodation marks start of nationwide improvements on the Defence Training Estate MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Baby red squirrels born on Ballykinler Training Area MoD News 0
B royal fleet auxiliary training Joining the Royal Navy 3
MoD_RSS New NHS maternity leadership training to address Ockenden Review recommendations MoD News 0
IlikeB33r GYH(T) Capped at training establishments? Diamond Lil's 57
R CIS Submariner Phase 2 & Sub Training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
pompeyexpat Capita to run training Current Affairs 15
MoD_RSS Letter from Amanda Spielman to the Secretary of State for Justice about Rainsbrook Secure Training Centre MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Written Ministerial Statement on Unconscious Bias Training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS SIA suspends over 130 licences and seeks retraining after investigating training fraud MoD News 0
M Cold weather training? Sports and Adventure Training 20
A Terms at BRNC & Observer grading & training thereafter Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
RabC Training Places Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS British Embassy Costa Rica provides training for customs officials on UK-Central America Association Agreement MoD News 0
S Training Diary for appeal Joining the Royal Navy 3
MoD_RSS Top award for regulator training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ministry of Defence Police clamp down on illegal activity and keep the training estate safe in the south east MoD News 0
P Pipeline Training RFA 1
K Please help with Interview and Training information Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MoD_RSS Training fund launched to help vets prepare for 1 January 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Major expansion of post-18 education and training to level up and prepare workers for post-COVID economy MoD News 0
S RFA Training Pipeline RFA 11
MoD_RSS Completion of training facility at RAF Waddington MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint approach to training gets international recognition MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil/crime news: launch of ‘help us say yes’ online training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Training for Security Control Room Operators in Responding to Terrorist Incidents – We would like your views MoD News 0
soleil P. News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth Leaves Portsmouth For Training With US Marines F-35" The Fleet 8
N HMS Sultan Simulator training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
P Training leave Joining the Royal Navy 8
B Can I wear athletic tape during Royal Marine Commando training ? Joining the Royal Navy 7
MoD_RSS UK launches multinational training to enhance Ukrainian Navy against threats from the East MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Troops reach training milestone ahead of UN Peacekeeping deployment to Mali MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ride Free: new online motorcycle training to improve road safety MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Theory tests and motorcycle training and tests to restart in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New teacher training inspections to focus on the ITE curriculum MoD News 0
Z Logistics Officer Training RFA 4
MoD_RSS Improved training to reduce conflict in youth custody MoD News 0
Similar threads


















































Top