Car tax evasion risen.

bLaZeR666_uk1

Midshipman
It's been said before but the easiest way would be to put vehicle tax on fuel, then everyone (with some exceptions :rolleyes:) pays their dues. The more you use the more you pay. No extra collection costs as it would be linked to the tax already being collected at the pump.
Ive said this for years. Why do they not do this it would be fairly simple to do

bLaZeR666_uk1

Midshipman
due to being a spazz, (blue badge) road tax exempt, I let Motability worry about it.
we have a car sales bod across the road his untaxed cars are over the place, he had a sad on when they started to clamp a few.
only time we really cared was when he blocked all the parking outside my house, he lives across a dual carriageway
remember the "Spaz Chariots" the council used to give out.. Jesus they were shocking vehicles...

huwshpis

War Hero
Ive said this for years. Why do they not do this it would be fairly simple to do
They did it in Jersey, many years ago (before I lived there). Jersey-registered cars have to carry a square "disc" giving their insurance details. Iirc, in Ireland (stand fast Northern Ireland), vehicles have to display both road tax discs and proof of valid MOT (their equivalent, anyway).

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
Anyone NOT see this one coming!!!!!
Only the DVLA, it seems. Anyone with an iota of common sense told them it would cost more than the £10m they intended to save. Civil Servants - less common sense than a, than a, ….. no I have no metaphor to hand.

ANPR cameras everywhere , fitted to most plod motors too , shirley all untaxed motors would be on the ANPR data base.
Issue is the huge amount of real estate without any ANPR. Again, Treasury CS looked out of the window to see heaps of CCTV for Met Pol and Congestion Charge. The fact that rural UK has none of this simply passed them by.

The lost funds would have paid for a whole new hospital in year one alone.

barny006

War Hero
As if no can say we did not see that coming, put road tax on the fuel, make foreign vehicles pay tolls.

Sumo

War Hero
As if no can say we did not see that coming, put road tax on the fuel, make foreign vehicles pay tolls.
you a low mileage driver? plus as a blue badge holder I don't pay Road tax, would I get discount at the pump.
How would that affect red diesel, make it more attractive?
The tax disc worked for a long time, I guess a politician or civil servant had a bright looking for their knighthood?

barny006

War Hero
Own 2 cars, retired ,probably do about 12k per year per car, but believe that way everyone pay to use roads, apart from those that steal fuel.

taffscrivs

War Hero
Put road tax onto fuel costs , not a good idea. fuel theft would increase dramatically.
A lot of vehicles have plastic fuel tanks nowadays, quick stab with a sharpened screwdriver and hey presto! Free fuel.
My oppo had this done to his car in a hospital car park, swift silent way of pinching fuel, the Gyps and dodgy foreigners have been doing it for years!
Bloody Government cleverdicks should have left things alone,there was nothing wrong with the tax disc sytem
so why try to fix it?

bLaZeR666_uk1

Midshipman
Put road tax onto fuel costs , not a good idea. fuel theft would increase dramatically.
A lot of vehicles have plastic fuel tanks nowadays, quick stab with a sharpened screwdriver and hey presto! Free fuel.
My oppo had this done to his car in a hospital car park, swift silent way of pinching fuel, the Gyps and dodgy foreigners have been doing it for years!
Bloody Government cleverdicks should have left things alone,there was nothing wrong with the tax disc sytem
so why try to fix it?
Hardly - fuel theft already goes on. the increase that would be added if they did include it on fuel would be a small percentage anyway.

The tax disc can be easily copied and requires a close inspection to see if it is genuine.

Last edited:

taffscrivs

War Hero
Can't agree with that view, do you really believe that the government would just increase the fuel duty to cover the loss in revenue from vehicle tax? Hell no, they would slap a bit extra on to relieve us of a bit more hard earned money, to help pay for a few more of their harebrained schemes. And it's already proven, the higher the duty on fuel, the more it gets pinched.

Tax discs come back to being a visible sign that the car is legal to be on the road. No MOT, or insurance then you cannot tax your car.

Yes they can be forged but the fact remains that in a lot of cases it provides a visible means of seeing that the car is legal for our roads. I go back to my previous post about shopping a taxi driver who was 2 months out of date for his tax. That being the case, his insurance would be null and void (if he had any) and any fare paying passenger would not be protected in the event of an accident. It took a lot of effort to get the taxi licensing authority for the area to act after the police and DVLA decided that it was not their problem.

No discs just make it even harder for someone to make an informed decision (when sober) whether the taxi they are about to hire is fully compliant with the law.

Just bring the discs back.