Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Car Chargers

Heyo91

Midshipman
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a Plug in hybrid for my next car and I was wondering how bases are with charging points in the car parks. I didn't see any whilst I was at Drake but I also wasn't looking for them.

Good luck with that. We were lucky to have electricity in the accommodation when I was ship's company at Drake.
Will your car have to be PAT tested before you're allowed to charge it on base?

Last edited:
Why should the MOD put in charging points for your car? they don't put in petrol pumps apart from those for the car pool and MoD vehicles.

Why should the MOD put in charging points for your car? they don't put in petrol pumps apart from those for the car pool and MoD vehicles.
With people living on base and the governments drive for electric vehicles, I thought they might have started putting them around the place.

Regular houses don't have petrol pumps either but some do have chargers.

With people living on base and the governments drive for electric vehicles, I thought they might have started putting them around the place.

Can you imagine the hoops you're going to have to jump through to use them if they do? :rolleyes:

Thats a non-existent argument, that's because people pay to have chargers installed, are you going to pay to have one fitted and then take it with you when you go on draft?

Thats a non-existent argument, that's because people pay to have chargers installed, are you going to pay to have one fitted and then take it with you when you go on draft?
To play devil's advocate (fancy)
If we provide services for bods to buy on base eg. Food, NAAFI/SPAR, why not electricity? Seriously.

To play devil's advocate (fancy)
If we provide services for bods to buy on base eg. Food, NAAFI/SPAR, why not electricity? Seriously.
They already do, in a way. People have their own TV's (need a tv licence though), laptops and other devices all charged from the mains, WiFi is free through the DBI, although you can't access all sites, especially "those" ones.

All covered by accom charges apart from DBI, which is free. Other internet is available if DBI isn't fitted but I believe that is charged for.

They already do, in a way. People have their own TV's (need a tv licence though), laptops and other devices all charged from the mains, WiFi is free through the DBI, although you can't access all sites, especially "those" ones.

All covered by accom charges apart from DBI, which is free. Other internet is available if DBI isn't fitted but I believe that is charged for.
So no reason for the MOD to not fit electric car chargers then?

So no reason for the MOD to not fit electric car chargers then?
Apart from cost, but why discriminate against petrol/diesel users?
Until ICE cars disappear completely I can't see it happening, and even then I can't see it happening, unless an establishments welfare pays for it.

I still work in the MoD environment and there's a massive drive on to reduce bills, so something that will increase the power bills (although costs are recoverable at charging points) are a non-starter.

Apart from cost, but why discriminate against petrol/diesel users?
Until ICE cars disappear completely I can't see it happening, and even then I can't see it happening, unless an establishments welfare pays for it.

I still work in the MoD environment and there's a massive drive on to reduce bills, so something that will increase the power bills (although costs are recoverable at charging points) are a non-starter.
They don't have to be free to use.
You can get a grant to install a car charger.

Latest Threads