Captain Jim Boyd.

Nigaramus

Lantern Swinger
I had an E-mail on Friday telling me that Captain Jim Boyd had died of a heart attack whilst walking on the Cairngorms. Jim was my ex -Captain on Opossum. He had also been Commander of the Submarine School when it was in Dolphin, and Captain of a Trident boat.

A true Gentleman may he rest in peace. RESURGAM
 
Did a BSQ For'd walkround with him in 1987 when he was XO of Churchill - certainly one of the better XOs I've served with. He became Acting CO in early 89 when we had to leave the CO (Bill Pym) in Gib after the "Hi Ho" incident :thumright:
 
notafourknotfudgepacker said:
Did a BSQ For'd walkround with him in 1987 when he was XO of Churchill - certainly one of the better XOs I've served with. He became Acting CO in early 89 when we had to leave the CO (Bill Pym) in Gib after the "Hi Ho" incident :thumright:
Go on notafourknotfudgepacker tell us about th Hi Ho incident some of us were long into civvie land and have no knowledge about this bit of submarine folk law.

Go on, go on, please tell all.

Nutty
 
Nutty said:
notafourknotfudgepacker said:
Did a BSQ For'd walkround with him in 1987 when he was XO of Churchill - certainly one of the better XOs I've served with. He became Acting CO in early 89 when we had to leave the CO (Bill Pym) in Gib after the "Hi Ho" incident :thumright:
Go on notafourknotfudgepacker tell us about th Hi Ho incident some of us were long into civvie land and have no knowledge about this bit of submarine folk law.

Go on, go on, please tell all.

Nutty
As requested: Quick 24-30 hour stopover in Gib (yeah one of those) before going to Casablanca for fairly high profile port visit. WR starts pissing up at lunchtime (Jim Boyd's birthday), by early evening they are all in a bad way and Jim Boyd goes to a hotel for the night. No-one takes charge of the old man (Bill Pym) and he carries on. Sometime later on, outside the Horseshoe, Bill Pym (clad only in boxer shorts) is leading a Hi Ho routine, on his knees, in the gutter - shore patrol turn up. One of the other dabber officers gets "arrested" trying to protect (bit too late really) his CO, who is in such a state they cart him off to RNH. Boat sails following morning, with XO in charge and CO left behind. Casablanca ends up as a really great run (not) - anchored off for 6 days in Atlantic as King of Morocco does not allow DIPCLEAR (not related to Gib fracas). Couple of months later boat arrives at Rosyth for refit, day after Bill Pym's court martial. Scottish Sun headline that day "Hi Ho Hic - Sub Skipper.....etc. etc." so Rosyth dockies do the Hi Ho routine on the dockside as the boat comes alongside. Bill Pym was effectively "retired" somewhere and Jim Boyd (later drove Vanguard) made Captain.
 
notafourknotfudgepacker said:
Nutty said:
notafourknotfudgepacker said:
Did a BSQ For'd walkround with him in 1987 when he was XO of Churchill - certainly one of the better XOs I've served with. He became Acting CO in early 89 when we had to leave the CO (Bill Pym) in Gib after the "Hi Ho" incident :thumright:
Go on notafourknotfudgepacker tell us about th Hi Ho incident some of us were long into civvie land and have no knowledge about this bit of submarine folk law.

Go on, go on, please tell all.

Nutty
As requested: Quick 24-30 hour stopover in Gib (yeah one of those) before going to Casablanca for fairly high profile port visit. WR starts pissing up at lunchtime (Jim Boyd's birthday), by early evening they are all in a bad way and Jim Boyd goes to a hotel for the night. No-one takes charge of the old man (Bill Pym) and he carries on. Sometime later on, outside the Horseshoe, Bill Pym (clad only in boxer shorts) is leading a Hi Ho routine, on his knees, in the gutter - shore patrol turn up. One of the other dabber officers gets "arrested" trying to protect (bit too late really) his CO, who is in such a state they cart him off to RNH. Boat sails following morning, with XO in charge and CO left behind. Casablanca ends up as a really great run (not) - anchored off for 6 days in Atlantic as King of Morocco does not allow DIPCLEAR (not related to Gib fracas). Couple of months later boat arrives at Rosyth for refit, day after Bill Pym's court martial. Scottish Sun headline that day "Hi Ho Hic - Sub Skipper.....etc. etc." so Rosyth dockies do the Hi Ho routine on the dockside as the boat comes alongside. Bill Pym was effectively "retired" somewhere and Jim Boyd (later drove Vanguard) made Captain.
PMSL :w00t: I do not suppose they make them like that anymore.

Nutty
 

Dunmytime

Badgeman
Sorry, can't type (being ex LRO) - that should have read around 78/79 time. Jim Boyd was our Navigator on Repulse Stbd - just wonder if it's the same guy.
 

bigbaddog

Banned
I believe he was also the CO of either Opossum or Sealion, but can't remember which
(a good skipper....I recall, for some strange reason that his cap always seemed to look
three sizes too big for his head). RIP.
 

oberon

Lantern Swinger
bigbaddog said:
I believe he was also the CO of either Opossum or Sealion, but can't remember which
(a good skipper....I recall, for some strange reason that his cap always seemed to look
three sizes too big for his head). RIP.
Opossum
 

skyvet

GCM
Sounds like our skipper on Sealion (name withheld out of respect), who was leading the lads in a sods opera in the casino. A mess-dressed Chief off the Brighton took exception to the performance, and not realising whom he was addressing (all in civvies) proceeded to rip the skipper off a strip, announcing that he was Chief Petty Officer so-and-so off HMS Brighton, and if he didn't get down from the table and behave, the shore patrol would be called, and he'd be arrested. A hushed silence descended over the crew, as the skipper poked this little Chief in the chest, pushing him right across the casino, informing him at the same time that if he didn't piss off, his "lads" would sort him out big time!
Fortunately, no shore patrol involvement occured, and the Boss got away with it, and his already high status among the crew soared to new heights.
I doubt that they make submarine officers in the same mould now, and who knows - that may be a good thing?
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Captain R.N 1969 . John Templeton-Cotill Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 8
soleil ITV "Advice From A Submarine Captain: Six Lessons On How To Cope With Lockdown" Submariners 4
MoD_RSS Bristol boy inspired by Captain Tom wins PM award MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM recognises Captain Tom as neighbourhood 'Point of Light' MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fines for captain and owner of party boat which collided with police dock and vessel MoD News 0
soleil The Times: "Captain Mike Booth, 70: Helicopter Pilot In The Falklands, Naval Attaché And Cabinetmaker" The Fleet Air Arm 3
MoD_RSS The final voyage of Captain Matthew Flinders MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Heroic captain awarded for 75 years of outstanding service MoD News 1
Ageing_Gracefully Captain of HMS QE Sacked The Quarterdeck 33
MoD_RSS Press release: Remains of Captain Matthew Flinders discovered at HS2 site in Euston MoD News 0
janner Captain Walker History 14
soleil Forces Network News: "Former Army Captain MP Blames 'Defence Cuts' For Labour Win In Military City" Bases / Shore Est 5
soleil BBC R4 - Woman's Hour - 26/3/18 - Interview With Captain Ellie Ablett, CO HMS Raleigh Bases / Shore Est 3
soleil Telegraph: "Captain Peter Grindal – Obituary" Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS News story: Captain Dean Sprouting has died MoD News 0
Drakey Surgeon Captain Rick Jolly - RIP The Fleet 65
Naval_Gazer Prince Harry appointed Captain General Royal Marines The Corps 1
S Memorial Service Captain IW Powe Nearest & Dearest 1
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Captain MLC "Tubby" Crawford RN DSC* - The Times Obituary History 0
Bad CO Auction of Estate of Captain Eric M 'Winkle' Brown The Fleet Air Arm 10
Ageing_Gracefully Captain Eric 'Winkle' Brown Current Affairs 25
Ageing_Gracefully Captain Eric “Winkle” Brown CBE, DSC, AFC Royal Navy History 1
drewfester Captain fined for forgery Current Affairs 46
I Career progression, Captain and beyond? The Fleet Air Arm 28
L George atkins - captain royal navy History 3
Seaweed Heads up, Captain Eric 'Winkle' Brown doco History 13
soleil Guardian: "Territorial Army Captain Resigns Over Afghanistan Book" MoD News 1
soleil Pompey News: "New Captain Speaks Of Pride After Taking The Helm Of HMS Warrior" Bases / Shore Est 0
T HMS Queen Elizabeth's first Captain The Fleet 43
F Don't panic Captain Mainwaring Diamond Lil's 24
soleil Herald: "Search For Photos Of RM Captain Who Died In Commando Display Accident" The Corps 0
soleil Crosby Herald: "Former Captain Of HMS Eaglet Receives Merchant Navy Medal" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
babygravy Captain Phillips Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 3
FAAFLYNAVY Captain's Jaguar XJ OY60 ATF Motoring 11
soleil Liverpool Echo: "The Battle Of The Atlantic Legacy Of Captain Johnnie Walker" History 1
soleil Radio 4 - iPM - Interview With Captain Eric Winkle Brown The Fleet Air Arm 2
scouse Captain Eric Winkle Brown The Fleet Air Arm 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp HMS ANTRIM’s Captain’s DSO auctioned for £44k History 1
soleil Telegraph: David Hart Dyke, The Captain Of HMS Coventry, On The Loss Of His Ship History 16
Topstop George Michael`s sympathy for Italian Captain Diamond Lil's 2
MoD_RSS Captain Tom Jennings killed in Afghanistan Current Affairs 1
Ninja_Stoker Fake Naval Captain Current Affairs 92
SONAR-BENDER Walting Falklands 'Captain' Diamond Lil's 27
T Walt RN Captain even fooled the RNA Current Affairs 0
soleil Pompey News: "Captain Who Took On Pirates Awarded An OBE" The Fleet 0
soleil York Press: "New HMS York Naval Captain Takes The Helm" The Fleet 0
soleil Coventry T'graph: "Captain Jack Sparrow Is Britain's Most Famous Seaman" Current Affairs 5
BillyNoMates Captain "Andy" Buchanan RN (Ret'd) Submariners 1
soleil Liverpool Echo: "Captain Of HMS Cumberland Talks Exclusively To The ECHO" Current Affairs 0
R12_CV New Captain General RM The Corps 19
Similar threads


















































Top