Capt. F.J. Walker - a war criminal?

Now, for starters I don't think he was but a poster on YouTube thinks he was and has stated his reasons.

Basically, Walker gave an order that prisoners were not to be allowed on board until they had stated the name (or U-number) of their ship. This is certainly correct, Alan Burn quotes the order in his book and Burn was Walker's gunnery officer. However, the YouTube poster says that there is a video in which a seaman who was there states that he was very distressed in having to leave German sailors in the water to drown.

Now, I happen to think it is false and have asked the poster to give me the links. Having read Burn's book and previously, "Walker RN", I developed an interest in the man and went researching as much as was publicly available and that included YouTube videos and I did not come across anything of the kind. There are also two incidents quoted in Burn's book that would seem to indicate Walker was anything but a war criminal; one was how he dealt with the accidentally wounding of a German prisoner by a guard and the other was the burial at sea with appropriate ceremony of a German prisoner who had died of his wounds.

Does anyone here have any knowledge of such alleged activity on the part of Walker? Personally, I find it very unlikely but am open to evidence.

OP is unlikely to gain much here except opinions.

Mine is that I'd ignore these scurrilous allegations attempting to besmirch a great man who drove himself to an early death combating the far greater Criminal activities of the U-boat arm of that charismatic, megalomaniac and ultimately cowardly leader of Nazi Germany

It was a total war for existential survival. Judge by those standards, not those of the 21st century.
Not for one moment am I suggesting that Captain Walker was a war Criminal, but P_T, that is just wrong on so many levels, and highlights your level of hypocrisy and double standards in regards to Sgt Blackman, but there again the good sarg was not an ossifer was he!!!!!!

As BOOTWU Says Johnny Walker drove Himself to an early grave fighting the Battle of the Atlantic.The longest continuous battle of WW2. If anyone is looking for a potential war criminal check out some of the alleged actions of Anthony Myers, Submarine Commander and from reports, all round bellend.

G

guestm

Not for one moment am I suggesting that Captain Walker was a war Criminal, but P_T, that is just wrong on so many levels, and highlights your level of hypocrisy and double standards in regards to Sgt Blackman, but there again the good sarg was not an ossifer was he!!!!!!
Not even remotely similar scenarios.

Not even remotely similar scenarios.
Captain is accused of leaving German sailors to drown unless they give the number of their boat etc, if true, this would have been a far more heinous crime than shooting a seriously injured insurgent who may have been involved in the dismemberment of British troops. P_T says we should not apply the standards of the 21st century, I say bullshit. The RN, unless it endangers the vessel, has always pulled enemy combatants out of the sea when possible.

IF Captain Walker did leave German sailors to drown, he risked the German Navy doing exactly the same in revenge, Sgt Blackman shooting the insurgent, well, what would the enemy do, it they were lucky a British serviceman (person) falling into the hands of the Taliban would be at best shot out of hand, at worse torture and beheading, I doubt very much his actions would have changed anything.

Yes you are right Monty, not even remotely similar scenarios.

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Let me be really clear here - the world has changed. What was acceptable in 1940s UK during a total war where the very fabric of the nation is threatened would not be acceptable today. If Capt Walker was found to have committed his act on the bridge of an RN vessel today, then absolutely I would support war crimes charges - because those are the rules we play by now.

In the 1940s we worked to a very very different situation, and trying to backwards apply our current values to then is heading for trouble. There was widescale execution of prisoners on all sides then - it happened. Do I like that fact - absolutely not. Do I think that those involved should face war crimes charges today - absolutely not.

I am glad we live in a more civilised age. I am glad we sent Mr Blackman to prison - I am disappointed that Mr Blackman isn't still in prison for what I consider to be murder. I do not want though to try to turn around and judge our predecessors in a totally different world by the world we live in today.

Does that make me a hypocrite - probably. Do I care? No

Believe it or not, we were probably a lot more 'civilised' in 1940 than we are in 2017, the difference being, many more people understood difference between right and wrong.

But one big difference, was it was understood that errors of judgement were made when under the pressures of combat and allowance were made. Sgt Blackman was not prosecuted because his killed an insurgent, he was prosecuted for political expediency, was he guilty, no doubt about it, should he have been brought up on murder charges, in my mind no, manslaughter yes, diminished responsibility, probably, but the bleeding heart liberals wanted a scapegoat and he was it, served up on a platter by the MoD and the lickspittle jobsworth yes men in command positions (until they retire that is) and the brown nose mid level officers who work for them (who will never really change their view even after retirement, incase they upset the 'wrong' people).

Believe it or not, we were probably a lot more 'civilised' in 1940
Much more civilised. That's why we locked people up for being homosexual.

Alan Turing?

"Turing played a pivotal role in cracking intercepted coded messages that enabled the Allies to defeat the Nazis in many crucial engagements, including the Battle of the Atlantic, and in so doing helped win the war."

"Turing was prosecuted in 1952 for homosexual acts, when by the Labouchere Amendment, "gross indecency" was still criminal in the UK. He accepted chemical castration treatment, with DES, as an alternative to prison"

Believe it or not, we were probably a lot more 'civilised' in 1940 than we are in 2017, the difference being, many more people understood difference between right and wrong.
That's right, there was never any looting of bombed buildings during the blitz. no thriving black market, no widespread marital infidelity, no prostitution or racketeering.
That never happened. :rolleyes:

Grat issue of rose-tinted spectacles...?

....the alleged actions of Anthony Myers, Submarine Commander and from reports, all round bellend.
Rank Rear Admiral
Commands held HMS Torbay
Battles/wars Second World War
Awards Victoria Cross
Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire
Companion of the Order of the Bath
Distinguished Service Order & Bar
Legion of Merit (United States)

Sigh...I take it those 'bellend reports' were considered by none of his award committees nor his subsequent promotion boards then? :rolleyes:

Rank Rear Admiral
Commands held HMS Torbay
Battles/wars Second World War
Awards Victoria Cross
Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire
Companion of the Order of the Bath
Distinguished Service Order & Bar
Legion of Merit (United States)

Sigh...I take it those 'bellend reports' were considered by none of his award committees nor his subsequent promotion boards then? :rolleyes:
Apparently they weren't. Just by those that had the misfortune to have to work closely with Him. He did get results.