Caps over the right eye.

Discussion in 'History' started by fishhead, Oct 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When you see old photographs of Lower Deck Ratings during World War 2 their caps are not on straight but dipped over the right eye.When did this cease to be standard dress.My guess is the 1950`s sometime but I would be grateful if anyone could give me more details
  2. Caps were always worn straight to my knowledge, styles vary, it was once common to wear your cap at the back of the head as it were. But it wasn`t legal neither i suppose was wearing it dipped over the right eye, some wore it dipped down on the bridge of the nose, but as i have said the only legal way was to wear it straight.
  3. I have no reason to doubt what you say,so when did Pusser decide that caps were to be worn straight at all times, as the photographs I have seen invariably show the rules being ignored.More often than not the Cap Tally bow is somewhere over the left eye rather than the left ear too.
  4. Perhaps you have heard the saying ` Different Ships, Different Cap Tallies `
    Some Captains were more lenient than others, Jaunties and GI`s too for that matter.
  5. Pusser always said caps worn straight with bow over the ear. Fashion in the forties said bow over the left eye and hat worn at an angle. Now if you had just seen two of your oppo ships blown out of the water did you really take what pusser said about fashion to seriously. Into thr 50's now peace time fashion changed and Reggies gained more control, even more as National Servicemen reduced in numbers.

Now they wear shit baggy No1's without bell bottoms and flat caps that look like milk churn lids. I fecking hate it buts not my navy any more its the 2000 generation

6. Bugger, I was looking forward to the flares!
  7. Stepto, below (far right) are how cap tallies were one tied. Also notice the instructor sporting a Nietzschean moustache.....

8. Bloody hell, looks just like my prep school!!!
  9. Hig is the lad with his hands on his hips...... :twisted:
  10. :thumright: Maybe they were trying to emulate the daddy of all tilting caps. Admiral of the Fleet Sir David Beatty :salut: :dontknow:
  11. You were there scouse? :w00t:
  12. nice one Dundee :thumright: His Home is round the corner from where i now live. Stapely in Cheshire. Used to have two Lions figure heads, on the entrance to the drive. As Hms Lion was his Flag ship. At Jutland ( No charge for the History lesson :thanks: ) Jimmy :thumright:
  13. It's a fair point: when did we stop wearing caps at a "jaunty angle"? And why?
  14. The majority of ships carried neither Jaunties or GI's
    The PO or CPO Coxswain was the Doc, Social Worker and Wet Nurse principally to his embarked National Service Coders, Writers and SBA's.
    One ship I had a day at sea on carried a LS Coxswain. He had been disrated for filling in a RPO ashore and Commodore Hong Kong was unable
    to find a qualified replacement
  15. My lords Ciommissioners of the Admiralty--at great expense -deliberated for many post war years on how they could stop Jack wearing his cap with bow waves and tiddly bows.
    In the mid-fifties the brain-waves at Colchester (I think it was) invented an oval one in order to overcome the Bow-Wave perceived problem.
    It was short lived, as most of His and Her Majesty's sailors were found not to have oval heads.
    Who remembers?
  16. Regrettably it's no-ones recognizable Navy. Ghastly contrived ill-fitting sailor suits with not a nubile female rushing to touch their collars for luck
  17. Norman service is resumed.......
  18. Does that mean it will yet again become interesting?
  19. Aye SC he's even talking to himself in another thread lol Bless him
  20. Reiterating or no. Does it bleedin' mean it's to become more interesting More Rum Ration than UA without the G and T
    That's Grog and Temperance --not a Tom Collins in the Seahawk Club or wherever