Caps or Berets?

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Six_and_a_Half, Mar 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

?
  1. Berets

100.0%
  2. Caps

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Having seen a number of people choose to wear berets when in No.3's, (No. 3C ?), it does strike me that one has a choice of headdress in a shore-establishment. So it does beggar the question, do you prefer wearing berets or caps and why?

I personally prefer the cap, because it instantly identifies me as a matelot rather than a bootie, pongo or brylcreem boy which all tend to favour the beret. But then again, can so many people be wrong?

2. I prefer wearing my beret mainly because my cap makes me look like a bus inspector (I'll get you butler!)

3. I used to wear my cap. The beret was useful when wearing No 8s but I preferred my working cap which was comfortable and well worn.

4. Do uniform regs not tell us which to wear?

5. I always wore my cap when i was a stores pomem as did most of my oppo's but since being in Faslane I opted for the beret option due to getting totally peed off with chasing my cap down the road ways.
    But I will return to the cap option when i fly to the med to join my neuvaux bataux at the end of april

6. There was a big thing about mixed rigs at Yeovilton a few years back. I agree with all that you say.

7. Doesn't Daily Orders still exist issued by the Base/Ship XO, and would this not state what the rig of the day was ?

After they issued berets to the RN in the 70s (they only suit squaddies & booties really ) caps were only worn when in Nos 1 / 2s, and berets were only used when in dockyard areas in AWD, never outside the yard gates.

From what I have read on various threads here, it seems the current day jack wears what he wants when he wants :???:

8. I think it might help matters if the question of whether a beret is really more advantageous to a cap onboard a ship was brought to the fore. I can see why a squaddie or a royal would prefer one, as these sorts tend to switch between helmets and more comfortable headdress in the field, a beret can be folded and stowed away with ease. But is this really neccessary at sea?

The only persons aboard who could possibly benefit from a beret are the fleet air arm, who when taking off their flying helmets would need to replace it with something else. But then again, should they really be wearing headdress on the flight deck?

9. Surely the only headgear worn at sea would be the flightdeck bonnets for the use with the deck loop comms system and uniform caps/berets only when Captains / Night rounds / being trooped at the table / or upon entering harbour ?

Personnaly I preferred berets when humping & dumping stores.

10. Our daily dits clearly state headgear as well...

11. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Berets are just so bloody junior rate-ish, cap for me :grin:

12. You can put your Beret in your foulie jacket pocket.

That way no thieving matelot git can nick it/get confused outside the dining room in the mess!!!!!!!!!!

13. Beret with having a overlarge head a cap was just not me.

14. Beret as a matter of course, my cap is comfortable enough but it's inconvenient. And it looks silly in CS95...

15. It was a cap for me, I've never liked Berets… too 'French' in my view.

Why would anyone wish to adopt the headear of a military who's main purpose for the last 300 years has been to provide the RN with a constant series of glorious victories! :wink:

16. On a grey ship/black boat on grey/green/blue sea why do you need CS95.

I can understand FAA having berets but then they are only crabs being paid by a different firm.

Nutty

17. I've spent a fair chunk of my career with the army, and some of it with the RAF. And nowadays there are lots of RN ashore in various places; warfare, engineers, and loggies.

Lots of opportunity for a bit of variety in a career nowadays, and since I decided very early on that I didn't want to command a ship it left me with the freedom not to spend lots of time in the ops room. I've done quite a bit of that, but frankly it gets dull.

18. Don't worry about it, turbans will be the DOTD for all in the near future, :mrgreen:

19. When I was on REMs course at Daedalus in 1963 we had a sikh. He wore a navy blue turban with number 8s and a white turban with number 1s. looked extremely smart.

20. A good point and very true. The turban certainly looks much smarter than what is worn these days and no haircuts. :grin: