Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Capital punishment - would you pull the lever or....

fly_past

Lantern Swinger
If capital punishment was reintroduced, would you be prepared to pull the lever, press the button for the lethal injection, shave the head and flick the lever to electrocute, Lock 'n' load "Fire" the bullet??

I would be prepared to lethal inject a person, not so sure about the other methods though.

OSLO

War Hero
Funny this should come up - over lunch I and some colleagues mentioned the number of recent multiple murders who have been sent down and we were wondering whether the topic of capital punishment for particular categories of murder would come back into the media (e.g. today's murderer who killed his ex- and her two kids).

fly_past

Lantern Swinger
OSLO said:
Funny this should come up - over lunch I and some colleagues mentioned the number of recent multiple murders who have been sent down and we were wondering whether the topic of capital punishment for particular categories of murder would come back into the media (e.g. today's murderer who killed his ex- and her two kids).

Am asking the question that IF capital punishment was brought back (never mind the offence) Would you do the deed to the 'guilty' one?

I would set off the lethal injection machine, not so sure about the others though!

dave_88

Midshipman
Did anyone see the documentary with Michael Portillo where he was trying to find a painless way of executing people?

Back to the topic, I dont think I'd be too up for it, but flicking the switch seems to be the easiest one for me.

Taloolah

Banned
All and any of the above appropriate if 110% sure accused is guilty and verdict not reached due to corruption.Method of death not relevant- if crime premeditated.

What about keeping someone alive as better punishment.....make it long, drawn out and ensure subject finds no-one and nothing safe......

ie : General population for kiddy-fiddlers.
or 30 years Solitary Confinement

Then no-one need take responsibility for shooting, hanging or injecting and responsibility stay on the head of those to whom it belongs.

Middle Eastern mystic (Meg?) said:
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

So which one of you has never paid cash directly to avoid VAT, or not, prior to 2000, practiced your archery skills after (compulsory attendence at) Church? How many of you have shaved, for example - a prohibited act in the Bible? :biggrin:

Looks like they'll be no takers then! :roll:

fly_past

Lantern Swinger
thingy said:
Middle Eastern mystic said:
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

So which one of you has never paid cash directly to avoid VAT, or not, prior to 2000, not practiced your archery skills after (compulsory attendence at) Church?

Looks like they'll be no takers then! :roll:

Didn't know not doing them was a death sentence...... got my sons archery kit to look for now!

slim

War Hero
If it had been proven without reasonable doubt that the individual had committed the crime (as in the case of the moors murderers and others) I would be prepared to do the deed, but only if the famly of those who had lost loved ones agreed, and then only if they had turned down the chance to end the killers life personnally.

dondon

MIA
I would do the lethal injection , not sure about the others though , some right evil bastards out there who deserve everything they get . fxxxxxxxxg scum of the Earth .

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
In answer to the question, no I wouldn't do it. Despite rumours about my job I am not God, so would not want the moral responsiblilty of taking away another person's life s part of the judicial process.

Casualties involving combatants in battle is one thing; killing someone for retribution is another.

stabradop said:
12 gauge shotgun loaded with "triple ought" shot, side of head (theirs :lol:) endex.

stab

The Victim was found in the early hours of the morning by a man walking his dog along the Grand Canal in Dublin. He died from a shotgun blast just behind his left ear.

Have you ever seen a head after a shotgun blast! Left ear found on far bank!!

A meeting of the Dublin Council recently it was suggested putting Gondola's on the Grand Canal similar to Venice.

A local councillor stated that is fine but who will feed them!!!!!!!!

I would gladly inject with a rusty needle into my brothers neighbours arm after the scumbag had his gutters renewed by travellers on the day of his wifes funeral. TAWT!!!!!!!!!!

Better still pop him on old smokey make him dance a while!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would if the crime was relating to me and my friends / family. If it related to someone else then it wouldn't be my duty to do that.

Shakey

War Hero
There's a book out there by some bloke called Sid Dearnley, 'A Hangman's Tale' I think it's called. Very interesting reading about hanging in Britain in the 50's and 60's. He used to help Pierrepoint out. Judicial excution in Britain was nothing like the media would have you believe it was like.

Anyway as for pulling the lever - I would. Same as I'd point a SA80 at someone and fire that off if I had to. The person pulling the lever is just as much as part of the machinery of the State as the judge who passed the sentence, the barrister who prosecuted the case, the prison officers who kept the accused in custody etc. etc.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Capital Punishment Type Diamond Lil's 0
MoD_RSS Called-in decision: land at Citroen Site, Capital Interchange Way, Brentford (ref: 3226914 - 10 September 2020) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS eAlert: 23 July 2020 - Countryside Stewardship capital work extension MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chancellor requests OTS review of Capital Gains Tax MoD News 0
MoD_RSS eAlert: 18 June 2020 - Countryside Stewardship capital grants MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HMRC urges people to prepare for Capital Gains Tax payment change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Get ready for changes to Capital Gains Tax payment for UK property sales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Natural capital tool launched to help protect the environment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK primed for capital investment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visit the culture capital of Pakistan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Matthew Rycroft speech on impact investing to unlock more capital for the Sustainable Developments Goals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy Guatemala City joined Capital Pride MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Investigation into London Capital & Finance launched MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: More than a third of the capital’s boroughs attend workshop on housing for Veterans MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Investigation into London Capital & Finance launched MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Independent inquiry into events at London Capital & Finance announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Independent report says the capital’s local authorities could do more to help... MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign Secretary condemns bomb attack in Yemeni capital MoD News 0
soleil Capital FM: "Portsmouth Sailors Send Mother's Day Messages" The Fleet 0
F Cumbria - fat capital of UK Health & Fitness 12
T The lettering of WW1 RN Capital ship turrets? History 12
doublehelix White Flight from the Capital City Current Affairs 89
F Tamworth the fat capital of UK The Gash Barge 92
finknottle The Global Banking ‘Super-Entity’ Drug Cartel: The “Free Market” of Finance Capital Current Affairs 0
soleil Edinburgh Ev News: "Another String To Capital’s Bow As Navy Training Vessel Sails In" SCC and URNU 0
soleil Navy News: "Commandos Row Through Capital For Charity" The Corps 3
soleil The Scotsman: "Capital Welcomes Armed Forces Day" Current Affairs 1
soleil RN Website: "Naval Version Of The Swiss Army Knife To Put On Show For Capital" The Fleet 19
soleil Scotsman: Huge Navy Vessel Docks In Capital After £37m Refit RFA 5
soleil HMS Bulwark: A Capital Opportunity for a Capital Ship The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Beyond prison, redefining punishment: David Gauke speech MoD News 0
Rachelthree Punishment for thieves? The Gash Barge 58
Ninja_Stoker Unspent convictions - Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Act 2012 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
stan_the_man Corporal Punishment in Schools 1970 style Diamond Lil's 26
stan_the_man Best days No9 punishment you ever had Diamond Lil's 8
Catballou Cruel & Unusual punishment required Diamond Lil's 36
maninblack Historical Punishment (RN/RM) History 17
B punishment;in the rattle The Gash Barge 3
H A new perspective of punishment Diamond Lil's 30
whitemouse Punishment- US soldier is jailed for 100 years The Quarterdeck 7
A Is there a requirement for pull-ups? Health & Fitness 3
Strangelove Russia and Syria: Putin prepares Tartus pull out Current Affairs 1
N Jack on the Pull !! Blue Jokes 0
Bond509 When are those RN webmasters going to pull their fingers out The Gash Barge 1
soleil Royal Navy - Broadsheet 2009 - Ships/Boats/Aircraft Pull-Out Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
tug1970 Pull The Pig Diamond Lil's 9
soleil "Never too late to pull the plug on Navy's new carriers" The Fleet 0
J Afghanistan Why not just pull out? Diamond Lil's 7
Gundulph Pull Up a Sandbag by Jonathan Smiles Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 5
T Psychopaths pull the most girls..... For the BOYS only... Diamond Lil's 8