CAPITA Training diary for competitive athlete

First some background:
Ankle (2013) and Back sprain (2007), both required a GP visit in order for my private healthcare to take over for physiotherapy. Neither required longer than 2 months recovery time.
I am a competitive athlete in athletics, competing at county, intern-county and national level championships. This has been throughout the injuries listed and continues to be the case. On my pre-medical questionnaire i listed the injuries as they are on record and put a comment detailing fully recovered and back competing at national level.
Capita requested the GP notes for the injuries, and have come back today as TMU requesting a 3 month training diary "to show that you are able to perform to a level of fitness constant with military training." Is this not what the pre-joinign fitness test is?
Yet to get ahold of the AFCO to see if there are other options open to me for proving myself, without delaying a further 3 months.

I have training diaries of my weekly exercise program, however this has been reduced over the last few months due to being in competition season. I also have diaries showing 6 days a week training for 12 or so years every winter period (September - April.) Further to this i also have been cycling 5 days a week to and from work (11.5 miles each way) and could get a letter from my current employer validating that. Only some of this cycling is recorded on Strava due to my phone holding battery for about 40 minutes max when GPS sucks it dry.

Would appreciate any advice on how to progress, hopefully will have some contact back from the AFCO this week too.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Capita requested the GP notes for the injuries, and have come back today as TMU requesting a 3 month training diary "to show that you are able to perform to a level of fitness constant with military training." Is this not what the pre-joinign fitness test is?
No, unforetunately not. It only lasts 12 minutes or so. Initial Naval Training is 10 weeks, RM Recruit Training 32 weeks. They want to be certain you are up to the rigours of training and able to take the knocks without recurrence of the pre-existing injuries.

By the book recurrent lower back pain is an outright bar to entry so they are providing the opportunity to demonstrate you are not likely to cost the service a medical pension.
I have training diaries of my weekly exercise program, however this has been reduced over the last few months due to being in competition season. I also have diaries showing 6 days a week training for 12 or so years every winter period (September - April.) Further to this i also have been cycling 5 days a week to and from work (11.5 miles each way) and could get a letter from my current employer validating that. Only some of this cycling is recorded on Strava due to my phone holding battery for about 40 minutes max when GPS sucks it dry.
Pauses in training schedules can indicate a recurrent injury unfortunately, whilst appreciating you are a National Level competitive athlete.

I found the Map My Ride or Map My Run App or Strava to be an excellent method for consistently recording dates, times, distances and elevation - far less easy to fabricate than a handwritten diary and easily able to record 20+ mile cycling distances - bearing in mind, most people are able to recharge their phone at work prior to the return trip.

My tip? Gather together what training data you already have to hand, submit it and see if that is enough. If it isn't, it's going to take 12 weeks of consistent, valid data.

Good luck.

Thanks Ninja, submitted my training diary as completed over the last 3 months and this has been accepted!
Now just to re-organise my medical date so i have more than two days to recover from a Duathlon first.

Just an update, passed the face to face medical tests however due to having to review 96 pages of medical info (capita has uploaded my GP notes 4 times to the system, doc was thoroughly confused!) and concern with the 2007 back sprain, I have been referred to a higher body in Capita for decision, quoted a time frame of up to 9 weeks. If capita can’t make that decision then I get referred over to RN medical team for review. Fingers crossed it’s sooner rather than later and I can get on with the PJFT

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SeaKing2001 Capita! Joining the Royal Navy 2
B CAPITA MEDICAL Joining the Royal Navy 39
F GP surgery not sending capita data Joining the Royal Navy 2
Avocadolol Capita Joining the Royal Navy 2
Avocadolol Capita and medical Joining the Royal Navy 9
SeaKing2001 Capita and Asthma Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
R Capita problems Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
couper172 Medical time frame capita Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
T Capita postal address Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
A Medically Unfit decsion from Capita Joining the Royal Navy 2
C How long does capita to give you a medical interview? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
A How long did it take Capita to review your medical info? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
F Capita Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
R Medical questionnaire and call with capita Joining the Royal Navy 6
Anchor Faced Capita Current Affairs 2
J Capita Triage Call and what best to do now? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
Jakeo Medical and capita Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
S Capita is a joke Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
T Waiting to hear back from capita - anyone else? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
Tigerpaw Medical & Capita incompetence Joining the Royal Navy 4
G Capita Peak Flow Test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S Capita Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
M Capita lost my medical notes! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
C Contact number for capita Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
M Capita and the medical The Corps 1
Seaweed Capita? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
MoD_RSS Civil/crime news: launch of ‘help us say yes’ online training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Training for Security Control Room Operators in Responding to Terrorist Incidents – We would like your views MoD News 0
soleil P. News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth Leaves Portsmouth For Training With US Marines F-35" The Fleet 8
N HMS Sultan Simulator training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
P Training leave Joining the Royal Navy 8
B Can I wear athletic tape during Royal Marine Commando training ? Joining the Royal Navy 7
MoD_RSS UK launches multinational training to enhance Ukrainian Navy against threats from the East MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Troops reach training milestone ahead of UN Peacekeeping deployment to Mali MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ride Free: new online motorcycle training to improve road safety MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Theory tests and motorcycle training and tests to restart in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New teacher training inspections to focus on the ITE curriculum MoD News 0
Z Logistics Officer Training RFA 4
MoD_RSS Improved training to reduce conflict in youth custody MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Psychological first aid in emergencies training for frontline staff and volunteers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CT training at your kitchen table MoD News 0
soleil Forces TV: Basic Training At HMS Raleigh: "We Can't Afford To Stop". Bases / Shore Est 7
crash_evans How is the RN training new recruits while social distancing? Joining the Royal Navy 10
MoD_RSS Government outlines conditions for elite athletes' return to competitive training MoD News 0
O Change of service in training Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS Government guidance to help Britain's top sportsmen and women to return to training safely MoD News 0
soleil Forces News: "How Is The Defence Animal Training Regiment Working During Lockdown?" Current Affairs 1
U PHASE 2 TRAINING Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS Coronavirus precautions on the Defence Training Estate MoD News 0
T Systems Engineer Officer Training and Beyond RFA 2