Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Capita Repeated Blood Pressure Requests.

Notthatguy5

Midshipman
Evening all. Newbie here so I apologise if this has come up already, but I had a bit of a browse and couldn't find any similar problems, so I thought I'd come to you all for some advice. Please bear with me, as this may be a long story.

A little backstory: I have been in the application process to join the RN for around a year now, and have been trundling through everything set for me just fine. I have completed my fitness test, interview and everything the navy has set for me, but I am having huge problems with capita.

I will not go into extensive details of the entire process here, as it would take me a very long time, but the main issue I am currently facing is capita raising an issue that I have already solved with them, regarding my blood pressure.

During my face to face medical, I was declared TMU for a few reasons, one of those reasons was that my blood pressure was high. The medical officer that was looking at me acknowledged that this was due to the stress of the moment (white coat hypertension), and so told me at the medical (and in writing) that I would be required to go to my GP in order to get blood pressure readings over a 3 week period, in order to make sure that my blood pressure was normal. After my doctors confirmed my blood pressure was well within the limits capita had provided (And more to the point, was perfectly healthy!), they sent the report back to capita, who acknowledged it and carried on with my application, practically confirming that blood pressure was no longer an issue. I assumed that this was the end of the story. I went away, and even had my blood pressure tested at the PJFT, which I passed completely normally. I don't have high blood pressure, and quite frankly, never have.

Since providing the report to capita, I have slowly cleared up everything else that they have required. And currently now, the only thing left outstanding is what the medic referred to as "Poor spinal flexion", which arose because I was unable to come close to touching my toes in the medical. This case was sent off to a navy RMO, who asked me to do some hamstring stretches, and that I'd be invited to a medical to asses only my flexibility.

Today I received confirmation of the flexibility appointment from capita (which is booked with the same capita doctor that claimed he could not make the final decision regarding my spine the first time around but that's another story), and lo and behold, capita are stating that they will be taking my blood pressure specifically as part of the medical, as well as doing the flexibility test.I do not understand why capita are requesting another blood pressure test be taken after they had confirmed the results that I provided them were satisfactory. I also feel this is incredibly unfair, as the test will be undertaken in the exact same circumstances that caused me to "fail" the first time around. I do not want to be required to go back to my doctors for another identical report, and I certainly do not wish to be declared PMU over this issue, as I have heard has happened before.

I have already sent my recruiter a message explaining this, and also sent an email to capita, but I was wondering if anyone here had any more advice. Is there a board I can contact regarding this? It is one thing to jump through all the hoops that they have given me, but it is another thing to actively be stuck going round in circles, taking the same tests over and over again, despite Capita claiming my response was adequate the first time around.

I have always wanted to join the navy, and I am now rapidly becoming worried that capita will attempt to chin me off (as they have for others before) over an issue I have already solved.

Thanks all :)

Evening all. Newbie here so I apologise if this has come up already, but I had a bit of a browse and couldn't find any similar problems, so I thought I'd come to you all for some advice. Please bear with me, as this may be a long story.

A little backstory: I have been in the application process to join the RN for around a year now, and have been trundling through everything set for me just fine. I have completed my fitness test, interview and everything the navy has set for me, but I am having huge problems with capita.

I will not go into extensive details of the entire process here, as it would take me a very long time, but the main issue I am currently facing is capita raising an issue that I have already solved with them, regarding my blood pressure.

During my face to face medical, I was declared TMU for a few reasons, one of those reasons was that my blood pressure was high. The medical officer that was looking at me acknowledged that this was due to the stress of the moment (white coat hypertension), and so told me at the medical (and in writing) that I would be required to go to my GP in order to get blood pressure readings over a 3 week period, in order to make sure that my blood pressure was normal. After my doctors confirmed my blood pressure was well within the limits capita had provided (And more to the point, was perfectly healthy!), they sent the report back to capita, who acknowledged it and carried on with my application, practically confirming that blood pressure was no longer an issue. I assumed that this was the end of the story. I went away, and even had my blood pressure tested at the PJFT, which I passed completely normally. I don't have high blood pressure, and quite frankly, never have.

Since providing the report to capita, I have slowly cleared up everything else that they have required. And currently now, the only thing left outstanding is what the medic referred to as "Poor spinal flexion", which arose because I was unable to come close to touching my toes in the medical. This case was sent off to a navy RMO, who asked me to do some hamstring stretches, and that I'd be invited to a medical to asses only my flexibility.

Today I received confirmation of the flexibility appointment from capita (which is booked with the same capita doctor that claimed he could not make the final decision regarding my spine the first time around but that's another story), and lo and behold, capita are stating that they will be taking my blood pressure specifically as part of the medical, as well as doing the flexibility test.I do not understand why capita are requesting another blood pressure test be taken after they had confirmed the results that I provided them were satisfactory. I also feel this is incredibly unfair, as the test will be undertaken in the exact same circumstances that caused me to "fail" the first time around. I do not want to be required to go back to my doctors for another identical report, and I certainly do not wish to be declared PMU over this issue, as I have heard has happened before.

I have already sent my recruiter a message explaining this, and also sent an email to capita, but I was wondering if anyone here had any more advice. Is there a board I can contact regarding this? It is one thing to jump through all the hoops that they have given me, but it is another thing to actively be stuck going round in circles, taking the same tests over and over again, despite Capita claiming my response was adequate the first time around.

I have always wanted to join the navy, and I am now rapidly becoming worried that capita will attempt to chin me off (as they have for others before) over an issue I have already solved.

Thanks all :)
OK, cut to the chase. Have you been told specifically you cannot join?
If 'No'. Just play along, Search Capita and you will find sod all good mentioned. They are an agency, not the RN. A PITA but it's what you have to deal with.

If 'Yes'. If rejected. Simply go through the 'Appeal process'. Just record all your and your GP's evidence.

Oh, and good luck.
But please! Search 'Capita' and see you're not alone with dealings with these folk.
Frustrating but sadly, they are the hand of cards you have to play with!!

OK, cut to the chase. Have you been told specifically you cannot join?
If 'No'. Just play along, Search Capita and you will find sod all good mentioned. They are an agency, not the RN. A PITA but it's what you have to deal with.

If 'Yes'. If rejected. Simply go through the 'Appeal process'. Just record all your and your GP's evidence.

Oh, and good luck.
But please! Search 'Capita' and see you're not alone with dealings with these folk.
Frustrating but sadly, they are the hand of cards you have to play with!!
Hullo,
Thanks for the quick response! :)

I see that capita has earned itself a rather amusing nickname with some here which I won't repeat...;)

Sorry if I wasn't very clear, I haven't been given a PMU, so at least we have that!
I was just wondering if I could get in and do a bit of preventative maintenance so to speak, as I am always mega stressed at medicals, and I can already see that high blood pressure reading coming from a mile off!
I had figured that because I had already provided the blood pressure report to them (and they said it was okay) I might have some ability to get them to waive the blood pressure test at the face to face, so that I could focus on the main bit which is reaching my toes!

Perhaps I should sit in the waiting room and try and do my best impression of Buddha :p

Jokes aside, thanks for the help and kind words, I'll carry on, attend regardless and will see what happens!

To be fair some relaxation techniques couldn't hurt and may make for smooth sailing (see what I did there). Just search the internet, deep breathing, meditation type exercises that you can do whilst waiting without drawing attention to it.

To be fair some relaxation techniques couldn't hurt and may make for smooth sailing (see what I did there). Just search the internet, deep breathing, meditation type exercises that you can do whilst waiting without drawing attention to it.
Thats about what I was going to say. Try and chill before any medicals.

During my joining process in 2017, I was stuck between my GP saying my blood pressure was fine & Capita saying it wasn’t.

Long story short, I had to pay Nuffield Health to wear a blood pressure monitor for 24 hours, which came back fine and I joined a few months later- not had any issues since & still serving.

It was £200 I think which seemed steep but was worth it.

Just another experience of Capita for you!

When you go to the medical take all of the relevant paperwork with you and if a blood test is mentioned ask why and show the Dr. the paperwork.

Long story short, I had to pay Nuffield Health to wear a blood pressure monitor for 24 hours, which came back fine and I joined a few months later- not had any issues since & still serving.

It was £200 I think which seemed steep but was worth it.

Just another experience of Capita for you!
Sounds interesting, to be honest it was probably worth paying the price just to solve the whole mess and get it over and done with.

Here's to hoping it won't come to that - I can't see the people responsible for working the requests seriously thinking that running the pressure test under the exact same conditions that they declared as void the first time round, but I suppose we are dealing with capita...

Here's to hoping it won't come to that - It's relieving at least to know that someone else had the same problem and solved it one way or the other in the end!

Last edited:
When you go to the medical take all of the relevant paperwork with you and if a blood test is mentioned ask why and show the Dr. the paperwork.
Good point - I think I will end up doing this as belt and bracers regardless of what capita's response to my email is.

I've got a copy of the paper trail where I ask them to confirm they actually received the documents, so there's something.

The doctors will still have the blood pressure readings they took on record as they were likely added to my medical record anyway, so I'm sure if push comes to shove I can pop in there and ask them to provide a physical copy for me to show the medic. Unfortunately, I don't have the original report as the GP sent it to capita themselves without me ever having seen it.

Cheers!

Take a fatalistic attitude, if you're successful Capita can still cause you problems, they got the contract for training, they don't necessarily deliver it, certainly not in Phase 1 or 2, but do all the training design and planning.

What could possibly go wrong? ;)

Sounds interesting, to be honest it was probably worth paying the price just to solve the whole mess and get it over and done with.

Here's to hoping it won't come to that - I can't see the people responsible for working the requests seriously thinking that running the pressure test under the exact same conditions that they declared as void the first time round, but I suppose we are dealing with capita...

Here's to hoping it won't come to that - It's relieving at least to know that someone else had the same problem and solved it one way or the other in the end!
It wasn’t “void”. You were told it MAY have been a flyer.
If your BP spikes every time you see an MD, you have other issues. There is nothing wrong with them retaking it when they wish.

Take a fatalistic attitude, if you're successful Capita can still cause you problems, they got the contract for training, they don't necessarily deliver it, certainly not in Phase 1 or 2, but do all the training design and planning.

What could possibly go wrong? ;)
I see - thanks for the info, I didn't know they were quite so prominent outside of recruitment medicals! I think this certainly has been a learning experience in developing that attitude if nothing else.

This entire process so far has been a life lesson in "Plan for the worst, hope for the best" :p

It wasn’t “void”. You were told it MAY have been a flyer.
If your BP spikes every time you see an MD, you have other issues. There is nothing wrong with them retaking it when they wish.
That is true, though I wonder why they'd go through the whole faff of getting my GP to test my BP if their plan was just to retest it at this face to face anyway. I wouldn't be quite so miffed about it all if it weren't for the medic telling me that "this happens often"!

I also understand that JSP950 is very clear in the matter when it states: "Cases of suspected “white coat” hypertension must be carefully evaluated".

I must say that my BP never spikes at regular doctors appointments, nor did it happen at my fitness test, so It's certainly not a fear of MDs in general. It just so happened that the medical was something I had been worrying about for weeks, as I have learned from the experience of friends that the forces can understandably be very cut and dry about their medical standards prior to entry.

I think it's probably relatively normal to be stressed about failure, more so when its your dream job on the line. I would imagine that if you took anybody's blood pressure before an interview or test for their dream position, they'd be reading at least a few points above their regular level, regardless of how cool and collected they seemed on the outside! It seemed to me rather unfair that they would take a blood pressure reading in a situation they know from experience has a tendency to raise people's blood pressure. :p

It’s very common to have the BP checked, then check it again down the road.
Why is your BP that high when you are interviewed?

Latest Threads