Cap Tallies

Discussion in 'History' started by stirling2, Nov 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any serving or ex Stores Accountants remember the huge collection of tallies displayed on the back wall of old slops building in Nelson ( Vicky ) barracks ?, does it still exist and is it kept up to date.
    Buzz was in my time that they held almost 90% of all ships tallies since ship ''name '' tallies were first introduced.

2. I doubt it still exists, but I do recall one of the pubs near Commercial Road in portsmouth having a huge collection of cap tallies on its wall.

3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I must have a look in the Black Dog at Weymouth and see if the collection there is still in being

4. Not sure if slops still has them on the wall, but I do remember Sally James of Tiswas fame had some on her lovely thighs many years ago. Wonder if they are still there? :)

5. The Royal Standard or The Standard, they did have up until 3 years ago.

Nutty

6. That's the one!

7. Thanx for the response fellas

8. The tallies may still be there but not for much longer, I hear one of the accommodation blocks at Nelson has been condemned for demolition.

9. All the grotty old JR accommodation blocks at Nelson (Saumarez etc) have gone and have been replaced by shiny new single berth cabins! You probably wouldn't recognise the place now.

Some of the kids still treat the accommodation like sh*t though.

10. It certainly is a different setup from what we all remember. Much more modern and "individual". I reckon the accom itself is probably better than most SR's & Officers get. That makes a change.

SF

11. The old slops were on the other side of the parade ground from the old accomodation blocks and were moved to somewhere near the admin if memory serves....probably a lost cause here but thanx again for all posts.

12. So who can locate the longest cap tally. Lets say HMS is three spaces then each letter or word between a space is one space. i.e. HMS Loch Killisport would be 19 long. HMS Tenby would be 8 spaces. HMS Mull of Kintyre also 19. Lets any boats in commission since 1945.

Lets us discount shore establishments it has to be a metal or wooden ship wot floats or has floated on the oggin in 1945 or onwards.

Nutty

That should keep the anoraks happy for a few hours

13. The best I can do is 20 - HMS Dumbarton Castle?

Well, almost!

14. 20 HMS Empress Of India

21 HMS Duke Of Edinburgh

15. 24. HMS Knaresborough Castle

21. HMS Porchester Castle

16. Andy we did notice you popping out side of the envelope . It was 1945 onwards not 1845.

Nutty

17. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Going on on the Wartime theme, the longest cap tallie then would have been HM Submarines, the rest would have been HMS

18. Do I recall correctly that Flag Officer JR staff ( FOSNI, FOSM etc) had tallies ?

19. Yes, but if I remember correctly, the tally was just the initials (FOST, CINCNAVHOME)?

I stand to be corrected.