Cap badge question

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by dombo63, Nov 3, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My local Sea Cadets were selling poppies the other day. Among them were some RM Cadets wearing navy berets with the globe and laurel on a red flash. The adult with them had a green beret but also with the red flash behind his globe and laurel. I was wondering what the red flash signified? Thanks, just curious.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I was a rm cadet a few years back and was told the blue beret with the red patch are used by rm new recruits, they are issued the green beret once they pass the rm course. It is also used by rm cadets.

3. That's quite correct BC. Fairly in depth discussion at :)

I was surprised that the green beret had a red tombstone as well as the one is swapped for the other on completion of the commando course.

ROYAL MARINES BADGE BACKING [Archive] - British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

• Like Like x 1
  4. it is possible that he was wearing his poppy behind his cap badge .

5. No, it was definitely a flash. I noticed it at last year's Remembrance Parade so may ask him if I see him next Sunday.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Seems odd. Green beret = Commando qualified, nothing else, when worn with a G&L.

7. I doubt anyone would go to the extent of sewing a red tombstone on a green beret as it would indicate a non-qualified qualified commando. Mind you, stranger things have happened at sea :)

8. Don't some Army units have a green beret?
    That might explain that he's done the commando course but isn't a RM.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

That's actually a good shout. Makes sense.

10. The scouts! :)

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

11. Ah! That'd explain what's going on here (photo taken from the HMS Calliope Facebook page).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  12. The clues are in the wording!

“My local Sea Cadets were selling poppies the other day.Among them were some RM Cadets wearing navy berets with the globe and laurel ona red flash. The adult with them had a green beret but also with the red flashbehind his globe and laurel.”
    So the adult with the RM Cadets you would expect to be a Royal Marine! Note then that the adult with the RM Cadets is wearing a Green Beret complete with a Globe and Laurel.

Some call these clues. To me this indicates that the said person is a Royal Marine, nothing to do with the Army or any other unit/service wearing a similar colourer beret.

As pointed out by v8diver a Royal Marine wears his Poppybehind the G &L.
    But as dombo63 states that the red behind the G&L was aflash as worn by Royal Marine Recruits or members of the Royal Marine Band with their Blue Berets, then a word in a certain person’s ear is recommended.

No genuine Royal Marine Commando would have such a red flash on his CGB!

Rover

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  13. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Yep.

Those that have Commando elements that have passed the course (R Signals, RE, RLC, RA for example)

The Rifles (rifle green colour)

Int Corps (light green)

The Gurkhas

14. I'm a former bootneck who is a now Detachment Commander of the local Royal Marine Cadets and we have been out Poppy collecting over the past week or so, I have the poppy petals behind my cap badge on me CGB, its the done thing !

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  15. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Any similarity with this lid?

ImageUploadedByNavy Net - Rum Ration1383775103.088950.jpg

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren.

16. Thanks all. Realised now it was a poppy after all. Woody's post was the clincher.