"Can't do" Students

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Nutty, Jun 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After 40 years the Education Establisment may be waking up to the fact that all this worry about students self esteem and failure to push them hard so as not to uset the little darlings has produced generations that "Can't Do". See todays article from the Times.

Can't do

But then what do us old pharts know about,as we are always told its different world/navy. Well no it is not, it is just a continuous lowering of standards and responsibilities undertaken by the current generation.

The other day I advised a Newbie the following

"Ignore anyone who has a go about your spelling or grammar. Just tell them to feck off. Please avoid use of text speak. i.e 4 instead of for etc. it is so annoying"

His response was:

"Confused - My grammar was fine, and I didn't use text talk, or am I going mad? Was that aimed at me that comment? (Getting use to using a forum)"

Why was he confused ? Because the thought patterns of even intelligent youngster show they are continually defensive, seeing shadows which do not exist, thinking people having a go at them. This is what the world has come to.

Nutty

PS Please do not quote me the good news stories about some of our young servicemen/woman, they are to be praised, but we all know that bad news stories far outstrip the good.

2. Very true Nutty, though I couldn't help laughing at the slightly mental comment:

"What we are seeing is a relatively late stage in the decline of an empire".

3. Could this be because the media is more interested in victimising the youth of today and report more bad stories than good? Just because there are more bad stories reported than good doesn't necessarily mean that there are more bad things happening than good.

Correct me if im wrong but as far as the counsellors are concernced isn't this what Chaplains are for?? So doesn't this also make the forces responsible??

4. There are good news stories? When did this happen? No one informed me!!

Seriously though - good article, :thumright: especially as I was beginning to think about teaching as a second career. The more I look into it though the less inclined I am to go for it.

SF

5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Nutty: With reference to your comment about the Newbie, I think you may be reading too much into his reply. I have to admit that the atmosphere in RR can sometimes appear hostile - I may have unintentionally contributed to that in my time, but I can imagine that the site appears even more hostile if you have just joined and have no appreciation of the many different and varied characters here, people whose comments and humour are often lost in translation. I imagine that when you joined you weren't quite the young, head-strong, aggressive and robust contributor that you are now. I certainly wasn't! :wink:

But as for the rest of the post, re: "Can't Do" I agree.

6. I had a graduate send in a CV to me a few years ago…

"i think U wil c im the best person 4 this job" was the final line of his covering letter.

Oddly enough, i did not c he woz the best. He rang up a week later and was most miffed that he'd been turned down and wanted to know why.

7. sgtpepperband

Well it proves that he could at least use a 'phone - didn't you offer him a job as a receptionist? :thumright:

8. "What we are seeing is a relatively late stage in the decline of an empire".

Wondered when this would happen. You've only got to look back at the Romans. It's live sex shows in the Colesseum and vomitariums to come next. I'm in. But then I'm "Can do" so I would say that.

PS, I have no idea what a vomitarium is, or whether it does what it says on the tin. Sounds like a good night out though......

9. The RN does nor rely on padres for counselling. It has the divisional system. Every rating (yes even CPOs) have a divisional officer. Any problems a man can see his DO. The first and most important duty of any DO is to care for his division. The system has worked well for many years and is the envy of the other services.

10. sgtpepperband

DE: Vomitariums were the aisles beside the stage in an theatre, and not an area where Romans would regurgitate their food, as many people think... :wink:

11. "Why was he confused ?"

Nutty I think we are both reading our post wrong, and getting the wrong idea. :D

I am part of another forum, and we have members that I would consider "hostile" towards members, especially new ones because they use text talk, and have very bad grammar. I thought you were commenting on mine, which had me confused as I also hate bad grammar and text talk even though I do not highlight others should they fall victim of such. I was just confused if you were talking to me or somebody else as a moderator.

I in the real world I wouldn't call myself "defensive or see shadows" sorry it came across like that. The internet is a really hard medium to communicate with. You can't see peoples expressions, see if they are laughing for example, or hear how they say it e.g. with sarcasm. If I said "Nutty you are a twit" I could be laughing with a bit of tongue in cheek or I could be here sat here seriously with a real issue to discuss with you. By the way I don't think you are a twit :D

I am not going to deny us "youngsters" can be defensive at times, I try not to be. But as you said, we are young and still learning. We can't be expected to know everything takes time as some people say "see the real world".

:D

12. I have to say I have never done that!

13. You are wrong SP. Vomitariums were invented because, in those days, nobody had thought of keeping fish.

14. DE: Vomitariums were the aisles beside the stage in an theatre, and not an area where Romans would regurgitate their food, as many people think...

Cheers SPB. Another dam good run ashore ruined.

15. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

'Can't do" Students?

Well there are some here where I work that I would definately do......

16. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Its alright to call Nutty a tawt 'cos 'e iz m8

17. hahahaha!!!

18. Contributor Mode

See your PM's. On RR Moderators are only Moderators on the subject under which their name appears on the main Forum Menu this being Submariners for myself. I use to enter Contributor Mode or Moderator Mode before posting but as us Submariners are so well behaved I have hardly ever had to use my GOD like powers I have drifted away from that habit. Note to self start doing it again.

I do know that contributors on this and other forums try scoring points by picking up both spelling and grammar. I personally, have little problem with others spelling or grammar as mine is appalling. Now Two, To, Too that is confusing.

It was an honest effort to protect you from Janner a bitter and twisted old Country Bobby, previously a Cock-Swain in Submarines who was about to bait you on the SC or PCSO subject.

YES I HATE Text MESSAGES AND THE SPELLING ITS HAS GENERATED. IT'S A PHONE, TALK TO THE PERSON THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE MADE FOR. Mobile phone not mobile text message sender.

I always adopt the titles bestowed upon me so see my signature.

Nutty

19. Difficult to tell if you're saying that you're laughing or actually laughing with the appropriate number of knashers on show?

I agree - it's, like totally confusing for sure.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Seriously though - welcome in davies 2201. We don't all bite, but we sure as hell will always try to get you on one.

SF

20. I think it’s mostly due to him being young and aware of his actions, most teenagers are probably a bit self conscious as they’re in the middle of puberty, covered in zits and worried about girls etc. They're just at the point of discovering who they are, this is really nothing new to the world imho.

I wouldn't say it's a generation of 'can't do', just look at the lads & lasses in the sandy places for that.

-Vesper