Canada's Navy to be Royal Again

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Gino, Aug 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm not sure if you ladies and gents in the Andrew pay too much attention to what goes on in the former colonies, but I thought you might appreciate this bit of news from across the pond. August 16, exactly one century after King George V granted Canada's naval service the title Royal Canadian Navy, our naval forces will once again bear that proud name. The former service was abolished 1 February 1968, when Canada's armed forces were unified into a single service. The Government will announce in just a few hours that what are currently known as Maritime Command, Land Force Command and Air Command will henceforth carry the names Royal Canadian Navy, Canadian Army and Royal Canadian Air Force. This will not affect the unified command structure of the Canadian Forces in any way, but will serve as a traditional link to our heritage and a living example of our continued allegiance to the shared Crown.
    Navy and air force to be royal once again - Canada - CBC News
  2. Hurrah for the Canucks. Not only are they 'Royal', but they've got their curl back!
  3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Common sense at last. And at last this appreciates and commemorates the valour and endeavour of the RCN, the Canadian Army and the RCAF in Freedom's War - every one of them a volunteer too.
  4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Well done the Canuks.

(Which one of you RR's gave the Colonies away when I wasn't looking)
  5. Good for them,long admired their fighting ethics and sacrifice even if five of them beat the shit out of me in Gib!
    I'll let you off this time!
  6. wal

wal Badgeman

....and hopefully they will get rid of that one covers all green uniform and revert to the individual colours. Nothing like Royal Blue for the boys, drab olive for Percy and insipid blue for the others.
  7. Already happened although it's closer to black than navy (not royal) blue.

HRH Prince Charles in CN uniform.jpg
  8. wal

wal Badgeman

Is that a cattapillar under that Canuck's nose?
  9. Excellent news. I was in SHAPE in 1968 and the RCN lads were not best pleased at the change, in particular, to their uniform.
  10. I remember huge amounts of simmering angst among a few Canadian officers I was on course with at Gun Wharf - 1985/86 IIRC -and subsequent unbridled joy when they got their blue uniform back a few years later.

Good decision to restore the Royal.
  11. Great news and encouraging, we need an allied family we can depend on
  12. ???? What on earth has a change of name and/or uniform got to do with dependability - they have been a dependable ally for as long as Canada has existed - what drugs are you on?
  13. I think it's fantastic news.....and it sends a message to the Quebecois.............up yours Pierre ! :thebirdman:
  14. I know, shameful isn't it? It's permitted, unfortunately, but I would never trust a sailor with a moustache. That's our former Chief of Maritime Staff, who was against the executive curl and the name Royal Canadian Navy.
  15. Many thanks for the kind words from our British cousins. We have always been and will remain your faithful allies. The next move afoot is the introduction of a distinctive naval ensign as opposed to flying the national flag like the French or Americans.
  16. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Somewhere among my few possessions I have one of the original Maple Leaf ensigns (possibly boat ensign) from the change over in 1963/4 I believe it was "presented to me" by one of the RCN sparkers on the Algonquin
  17. Excellent News; I am sure HM will be delighted.

Ensign - Follow the pattern from RAN and RNZN? White Ensign, no St George Cross, GREAT BIG RED Maple Leaf? :smilebox:

Is the executive curl back, too?

18. Now that we are "Royal" again, can we return the "Cupholders"...:D

There is also a move afoot to get the original ranking system back, may be a few hiccups though with that gash rank Master Seaman, too few Killicks and too many PO's, so hands to cleaning stations may see more P2's on their knees..;)