Can you wear dolphins upon return to general service?

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by danny, Feb 13, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If you somehow managed to get out of the submarine service and go back skimmer could you continue to wear your dolphins?
    I know admirals always wear them but I never saw a rating do it and my old chief was an ex submariner. Was just wondering out of interest rather than actually for my own benefit.

2. Yes, a RO on us went back to Gens. He wore them on Divisions, the Joss was not happy but the skipper was ex Submariner, so the Kissing Kippers stayed. He then joined the Regulating Branch :eek:mg: and carried on wearing them as a Crusher in Faslavatory.

3. on your No.1's
    absolutely. Seen plenty of ratings wear them once they go GS

4. Well its in dress regulations now that they must be worn on both 3s, 4s and overalls as well as 1s. Just imagined it wouldn't go down well rocking a pair on your daily working rig.

5. There was a LReg at Collingrad who wore his (complete with bomber pin) when I was there last year.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

So far as I'm aware, 1's & 3's definitely.

Logically 4's & Ovies, "No". (AWD & basic FF rig & metal = branded port tit).

7. Crushers wearing dolphins!! omfg

• Like Like x 2
  8. No on 4s and Overalls we have embroidered ones that stitch on just above the name tape.

9. They was matelots in Kandahar wearing then on their desert combats.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Damn, I thought Sharkey would bite sooner.

11. I don't think it's mandatory to wear them on 4's and ovies, more personal choice. There's not that many that wear them where I am, it seems to be mainly Faslavatory ratings.

I've seen a few ex-submariners in GS wearing them. They're an award and kept for life.

12. In Faslane it seems to be mandatory, I know some people who were MAA'd for not.

13. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Why would you need to wear them???? The pale skin, smell and lack of social graces is enough to single you out as different.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Flattery wont work

15. Fixed that for you.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Yes because a Porsche makes you less of a cock.....

• Like Like x 1
  17. I would've but er indoors was a bit slow with the smelling salts

• Like Like x 1
  18. I wore mine on both ships I was on after boats. We had S/R's on both who also wore them. Nobody ever asked me why, no isues at all.