Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you use other bases/barracks sickbays if ill on leave

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone can help me, I am currently on Christmas leave until mid January but have become unwell. I am not registered to any GP around my home and not sure if it’s possible to be seen by gp in the local army barracks sickbay.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Waspie

War Hero
Don't see why not. Give them a call, local guardroom number will be advertised either in the phone book or available courtesy of Messrs Google and Co.
If they can't, they may be able to advise you where you can be seen.
Or, call the NHS helpline. (Sorry don't know the number).

soleil

War Hero
Notsosalty

I was going to suggest that you speak to NSFPS when they open on Monday at 0800, but realised that you might need to see someone sooner. I'm not sure what kind of illness is affecting you and don't want to suggest waiting till Monday to speak to someone, if you really need to see a Doctor tomorrow.

I'm wondering whether the best thing for you would be to speak to the appropriate OOW for advice. I attach a list of the numbers issued for use over Christmas by NSFPS. If none of these is appropriate, say so and we will think of something else.

Sol

Last edited:
1. Speak to NHS 111 or go and see your local NHS walk-in centre if you need to see a medical professional within the next 24 hours.
2. Phone the OOW for teh appropriate base on the numbers above, and ask if you can speak to the Duty MA. Outline your problem to them, and they may be able to make you a booking at a near-by garrison or base. Any Army establishment is unlikely to have a Doctor available until they come back from leave (or recalled if necessary). There is no point just turning up at their gate without a booking.
3. If you feel you can’t make it back from leave, make sure you’ve seen a NHS centre and also had your details taken by the OOW/OOD of your unit.

4. Rest, hydrate, take pain relief as necessary.

Get better soon.

Thank you all for your replies and advice. Greatly appreciated. I’ll get on to the numbers you have provided first thing.

@Notsosalty. Not high on your to-do list as your health is your obvious priority;

It used to be the case that 'Days spent officially sick whilst on leave' would be credited back to your Annual Pusser's Leave allowance.*

Perhaps someone serving could kindly confirm/clarify and provide you with a JSP reference:
Calling @alfred_the_great or @northern-matelot ?

*Certainly applied to my civilian employees when in business after I left the RN.

Meanwhile - Best wishes & Get Well Soon.

soleil

War Hero
@Notsosalty. Not high on your to-do list as your health is your obvious priority;

It used to be the case that 'Days spent officially sick whilst on leave' would be credited back to your Annual Pusser's Leave allowance.*

Perhaps someone serving could kindly confirm/clarify and provide you with a JSP reference:
Calling @alfred_the_great or @northern-matelot ?

*Certainly applied to my civilian employees when in business after I left the RN.

Meanwhile - Best wishes & Get Well Soon.

I think that this may be covered in Paras 21.10 + 21.11 of JSP 760.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary statement on attack on Iraqi military bases MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Welsh Secretary welcomes Defence Secretary to Welsh bases leading the way in training and education MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Defence Secretary confirms £1.7bn investment in Scottish military bases MoD News 0
alfred_the_great Dear Potential Officers on visits to RN bases! Joining the Royal Navy 32
J Joining up- likely drafts and bases Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
P MoD awards £3.2bn in contracts for UK’s naval bases and Royal Navy fleet Current Affairs 8
soleil Financial Times: "MoD To Hand Over Running Of Bases To Private Sector" Bases / Shore Est 7
MoD_RSS Libyan Navy visits Royal Naval training bases Current Affairs 0
soleil Telegraph: "Inland Somali Pirate Bases To Be Targeted" Current Affairs 19
frogman007 Military Bases near Norwich Bases / Shore Est 13
C The names of U.K and overseas naval bases Bases / Shore Est 3
trelawney126 Training Bases may Merge (BBC) Current Affairs 33
soleil Telegraph: "Liam Fox Warns Independence Threatens Scottish Bases And Shipbuilding" Current Affairs 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Navy frigates to stay at Devonport and Portsmouth bases Current Affairs 3
soleil BBC: "Navy Frigates To Stay At Devonport And Portsmouth Bases" Bases / Shore Est 0
N What aircraft are based at what bases? The Fleet Air Arm 17
J Donibristle RNAS pics [ sorry cross-posted in shore bases ] History 1
soleil Scotsman: "SNP will let English keep military bases" Bases / Shore Est 10
wavijunk EU wants our overseas bases Current Affairs 24
Gazza82 foreign bases Bases / Shore Est 25
T Future of Submarine Bases in Scotland in doubt? Submariners 3
dogdriver Comprehensive Spending Review - bases safe, both carriers on Current Affairs 38
A Submarines Bases Submariners 60
slim Closing of Naval Bases What are the advantages? Current Affairs 6
P CUTS... FLOGGING... CANE ... at NAVAL TRAINING BASES Diamond Lil's 23
Graybags Derelict Bases Bases / Shore Est 41
exile1 Old Bases Bases / Shore Est 81
soleil FB: The Bands Of HM Royal Marines:: The 31st Anniversary Of The Deal Barracks Bombing The Corps 2
MoD_RSS DIO awards contract worth £17-million for next phase of work at Bassingbourn Barracks MoD News 0
vauxhall Roadshow Brief at ARRC Imjin Barracks 17 October Finance & Pensions 0
Z What is Whittington Barracks / Lichfield like? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS News story: Iron Age and Roman evidence found at Corunna Barracks Ludgershall MoD News 0
P MoD to sell Stonehouse Barracks Current Affairs 23
MoD_RSS News story: £9.7 million construction contract awarded for Baker Barracks, Thorney Island MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Army medics move into refurbished homes at Keogh Barracks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Aldershot barracks revamped for army medics’ arrival MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Development plans for North Luffenham army barracks approved MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Graduates key to success of Beacon Barracks development MoD News 0
Sgt Jobsearch Project Manager (Imphal Barracks) - North Yorkshire - £34,000 + Benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BillyNoMates Victory Barracks Diamond Lil's 12
Merlin28 keogh barracks Bases / Shore Est 6
B Keogh Barracks (DMS) Bases / Shore Est 11
A HMS Nimrod Barracks, Campbeltown scotland History 1
R Deal Barracks.. The Corps 7
S Road Names In Barracks Diamond Lil's 14
G Letting the boys out of the barracks Diamond Lil's 29
soleil Navy News: "Marines remembered in new barracks" The Corps 0
finknottle Prince Charles & Chelsea Barracks Current Affairs 17
M Soldier Gives Birth.....At Abingdon Barracks The Gash Barge 18
The_Jimmy Teen girl found dead in army barracks Current Affairs 0