Can you start a new sport in the Navy

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by CallumPM, Feb 25, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondering if (after you have done with training of course) will you have the opportunity to start a new sport? Did Judo for 10 years growing up but I'm sick to death of it as I find the competitive side naff with all the bull**** rules. Would love to give football or rugby a go. Only know the basics of rugby though and haven't played it since school.

2. No, you have to declare what sports you have done prior to joining and will not be permitted to get involved in any others at all during your service.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    • Like Like x 7
  3. You pulling my leg?? Sure they said we could start new sports during my PRNC.

I apologise if I'm being moronic

4. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

in phase 2 you can submit a sporting preference chit via JPA.

5. Does that not go hand in hand with ship choice? No point choosing rugby on a minesweeper (no room)?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

6. Is this true? I was playing suckers for years and stated that I was a long distance runner on my application.

7. The only chance you have is with Tennis. We're crying out for Tennis ratings so you might get lucky if you volunteer for that. Otherwise you'll be stuck with Judo I'm afraid.

• Like Like x 1
  8. exJenny

are you saying JPA got it wrong?

• Like Like x 1
  9. ****ing predictive text did!!!

10. If you get caught playing a new sport its an instant discharge. For insurance reasons you can only play sports you already know. The Navy would be responsible for any injuries in new sports.

11. Bullshit.

I know of at least two blokes who successfully transferred from Rugby Union to Rugby League.

Fair do's it's a long a protracted process but it is possible if you're patient and you dig out like ****.

Don't listen to these *****, I would say you probably have quite a good chance if being able to try out at least one other sport in addition to judo, providing it's another martial art.

12. Yes but the OP wants Football and Rugby making your advice irrelevant.

13. Fair one, I didn't read the whole post and I've had a few beers.

Judo to rugby and footy?

What ****ing planet are you on you spastic?

14. Now now be politically-correct! We prefer the term window licker! What other martial arts is there to take part in?

15. OMM

OMM War Hero

Phase 2 onwards you will play sports, if you're good then tell them and you get time off to play.

Many new sports to choose from.

16. Ooooh sounds good! Let's hope I can get back into the swing of it

17. exJenny

Ahhh, now you're talking... it's been a while since the RN had a tri-service Swingball champion... In addition to representing the service, you also get to utilise the RN caravan. Pitch up anywhere with welcoming facilities and an on-site shop and within minutes you can be fighting for glory!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  18. I'm a boccia pro as well

19. Proper or American; Union or League?

So many choices.

20. Counterpane Hurdling is an option providing your not a submariner