Can you identify this sword?

Discussion in 'History' started by paybobsquarepants, May 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

No the thread is not mislaid from 'lils.

My great grandfather was in the merchant navy - Captain with the Donaldson Line, joined around 1910 and reired in 1950. The sword attached was a bequest from him to my mother. The two stories are that it was his own, or alternatively he was given it from a surrendering Italian officer.

Can anyone identify it please? It looks like an RN one without the gold leaf but I suspect that may have been lost over time. For a merchant navy captain, had he served in the RNR I doubt if he would have bought a sword especially if a wartime commission. I do not think he served in the Med, a lot was told about trips on the Arctic convoys - few Italians there.

So, any thought ladies and gentlemen?

Attached Files:

2. With the slight curve it's not a naval officers sword, curved swords like that are usually army (especially cavalry).
  3. This site has some similar ones German Swords especially No's GIS-90111, GIS-01 & GIS-12
  4. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Doesn't look British.

However very old RN swords could be curved. I recall one example used by a chap on course with me at Whaley (something from his family, probably Victorian). Confused the GIs because either the hilt or the point would be out of line with all the others.

When the wimmin were given gold stripes an admiral remarked to me that because of their hips their swords would stick out and get in other people's way.
  5. PBS

Could you take some close-ups of the detail on the sword, please, in case there is something recognisable there?
  6. Here you go Soleil, sorry for the delay.

Attached Files:

7. PBSB

Compare your sword's fouled anchor with that shown in the article "By Jove! Updates?!" at Man the Capstan – Reenactment Blog for British Nautical History

The absence of any crown above the anchor leans towards ruling it out as an RN sword.
  8. Anything engraved on the blade? There should be the maker's name somewhere.

9. Hi,

Nothing engraved on the blade. The anchor on the hilt means navy of some sort. I dont know when the Italians dropped teh Royal from their Navy.

Thanks for any suggestions.
  10. 1946.