Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you identify this ship?

Lemacque

Midshipman
Difficult one, could potentially be any captured trawler converted for armed use. I know the pic isn't the one, but it looks a bit like it. Emphasis on "bit" so don't shoot me. Does have similar struts in the middle.

CTB018954.jpg

Waspie

War Hero
I've been looking at it, and would say there are positions fwd & aft. That funnel though....weird one to have such a short one in those days
Yup, nearly all, if not all pics I have seen of vessels of similar ilk have taller funnels. Closest I have come is Yugoslavian trawler captured by the Germans in WW1. Rounded bath like superstructure. Can't find the web site again though with the image!!!

Lemacque

Midshipman
Yup, nearly all, if not all pics I have seen of vessels of similar ilk have taller funnels. Closest I have come is Yugoslavian trawler captured by the Germans in WW1. Rounded bath like superstructure. Can't find the web site again though with the image!!!
Unless Fritz pimped up a trawler by chopping down the stack.... 3rd Reich Kustomz

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
The website was linked on one of the previous posts.

Waspie

War Hero
The website was linked on one of the previous posts.
Nah, the one I found the Yugoslavian WW1 trawler was an obscure link from an even more obscure search!!! I s'pose I could 'trawl' back through my search history. But I'm kinda losing interest if I'm honest!!!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Nah, the one I found the Yugoslavian WW1 trawler was an obscure link from an even more obscure search!!! I s'pose I could 'trawl' back through my search history. But I'm kinda losing interest if I'm honest!!!
I did see the Yugoslavian trawler but there's too many variants/local modifications to name the OP 's trawler IMHO.

Waspie

War Hero
I did see the Yugoslavian trawler but there's too many variants/local modifications to name the OP 's trawler IMHO.
Agree fully. No different to the Soviet AGI's of yesteryear in a way.

Trouble with warships and war. A welder can change the role and visual profile of any vessel.
Look how we changed some of the merchantmen in 82!! Welding flight decks in place, using containers to make areas to conceal helicopters and harriers in transit!!!!

Long live the welding rod!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rodgersthecabinboy Can anyone identify this ship. History 12
S Would you help me identify this ship? History 23
JamesH Can you help identify the ship? History 0
MoD_RSS New technology to help identify those at high risk from COVID-19 MoD News 0
D Trying to identify a uniform History 21
BreechSpike Identify the T boat? Miscellaneous 34
slim Anyone should be allowed to 'identify' as black regardless of the colour of their skin or background, say university leaders Current Affairs 16
MoD_RSS New UK-led satellite will identify natural resources from space MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dye project to identify fish migration on the Alne MoD News 0
E Help me identify this sailor..... History 37
MoD_RSS Press release: Signs help to identify flood risk car parks MoD News 0
P Can you help identify these ships? History 5
B can any old World war 2 commandoe identify with this service record please The Corps 33
K Identify This Instrument History 15
Tui Bird Identify EA left behind when AFFRAY sailed on her fatal training trip. Submariners 0
SONAR-BENDER Identify this boat? Submariners 7
Ninja_Stoker Identify the medals The Quarterdeck 20
P Can you identify this sword? History 10
jesse Which fictional characters do you identify with? Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 7
Hermes_R12 Derbyshire Police appeal to identify mystery object Current Affairs 15
S Can any one help identify this photograph History 23
U Ship shifts 12hrs Joining the Royal Navy 20
F Looking for information about Grandads pre-war ship service record... Can anyone help? History 13
BUCK1939 Anyone got any photos from 1960's of the Ship's Company lining the deck when leaving port. The Fleet 2
MoD_RSS UK Ship Register Information MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Braemar Cruise Ship: Foreign Office Statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Office statement on the Grand Princess cruise ship MoD News 0
soleil Afloat: "Large UK Naval Auxiliary Replenishment Ship Completes Special Survey In Merseyside Shipyard" RFA 2
B Hypersonic attack(s) on ship building yards Current Affairs 38
soleil Navy News (FB): North Shields - HMS Northumberland - Ship Open To Visitors - Saturday, February 8th 2020 The Fleet 1
soleil T-23 Ship Systems Controls Simulator Trainer - Vacancy - Gosport - Closing Date 07 Feb 2020 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 1
Bad CO HMS Arrow - Anyone Know Where the Ship's Bell Is? History 17
MoD_RSS London model ship builder helps chart the course of Qatar’s history MoD News 0
IrishGuard HMAS Choules - A cruise ship without the pina coladas International 1
Happy Day Ship's Library! The Fleet Air Arm 0
MoD_RSS Test site to help develop autonomous ship work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bell from American ship destroyed in Second World War going home MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New ship to boost safe navigation in UK seas MoD News 0
A visit to ship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 44
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp HMS Argyll: Navy crew saves 27 from burning ship The Fleet 1
J Ship shift length Joining the Royal Navy 5
MoD_RSS News story: Government stakeholders endorse DASA’s safety at sea competition - Get the Ship in Shape: accounting for, and tracking, personnel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Extra dial-in and 1-2-1 sessions announced for Get the Ship in Shape: accounting for, and tracking, personnel competition MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Russian carrier ship which ran aground off Cornwall is refloated MoD News 0
M Ship's Corporals History 1
MoD_RSS News story: The Royal Centre for Defence Medicine pays tribute to the wreck of His Majesty's Hospital Ship Glenart Castle MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: QEC ship-air certification MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Get the ship in shape innovation event MoD News 0
soleil Portsmouth News: "Portsmouth Survivors Of HMS Sheffield Back Bid To Name New Type 26 Frigate After Doomed Falkland Ship" The Fleet 35
MoD_RSS Press release: Royal Navy Ship HMS Albion to visit Indonesia 22-25 April 2018 MoD News 0