Can you give a preference as to which helicopter you work wi

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Sentenashi, Aug 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Like, when you're in BRNC and everythings sorted, can you give a preference as to which type of helicopter you fly?

2. Which aircraft you fly depends on all of the usual things

How good you are
    What the Navy is short of
    Whether your personal qualities are such that a certain billet is or isn't appropriate (i.e. recommended for small ships or not)

I'd worry about passing flying training and nothing else at this stage. Each aircraft has it's own challenges and a certain amount of perceived prestige for flying it.

3. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that you could well end up doing tours on different aircraft anyway? Obviously to get SAR you have to be REALLY good...

4. You are correct, as someone who has worked on many aircraft as a mechanic/technician, it's something I would recommend. You get a very good, but rather short career in the RN, so don't be afraid to go try something new every now and again. The benefits in experience and new friendships are well worth it.

5. You will find that the pilot/obs and and the aircrewman, as one, on the SAR make it that little bit extra special. :thumright:

6. Presumably that's if you don't stay in the navy until you're 55? You can make your stay in the navy as long as you want it to be, surely?

7. Well I was under the impression that your squadron is almost a little band of rothers, as it were.

8. Don't be too drawn into the recruitment literature's rosy picture shippers. There is always going to be an "Us and them" element on squadrons. In fact, it's a good thing, as it keeps both the officers and ratings on their toes, because the one will never want to lose face in front of the other.

As for the career, it may not be as long as you think. Family reasons, medical grounds, better opportunities elsewhere etc. Make the most of what is in front of you whilst it's there because one day, time will have passed you by. :thumright:

9. How about if you are AET, can you give preference on what aircraft you would prefer to work on/what posting you will get?

10. Re: Can you give a preference as to which helicopter you wor

Yes, however, as has been mentioned above - it's still but a preference; I know of one person who wanted Lynx and got Merlin - which I'm sure you can appreciate was something of a kick in the balls for him, more-so that he wanted it so he could get home easier at weekends.

That said, most people get what they want, and if not they'll at least try and get you to your second choice.

-djmm

11. Re: Can you give a preference as to which helicopter you wor

Not being funny, but you should expect that when you join up. As said before, it's not the curse it may seem at first, especially if you're a youngster. Culdrose has a much better social scene than VL, based on the fact that most people hang around at weekends. :thumright:

12. From past experience as an EA(Air), I worked less than half my 17 years qualified time on aircraft. Workshops included GW, Instruments, Electrical and Ground equipment. Plus some admin posts. All of which stood me in good stead post RN.

13. Re: Can you give a preference as to which helicopter you wor

Yep, I'm with you on that one. For me it doesn't matter a shit where I'm posted they're all a bit of distance from Glasgow so I won't be heading home every weekend (which suits me just fine, after living here for most of my life I can safely say this place.... is a shithole!).

-djmm

14. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Re: Can you give a preference as to which helicopter you wor

'Kin right! Did you see "The Secret Millionaire" on Channel 4 last night?! 8O :oops:

15. Re: Can you give a preference as to which helicopter you wor

Nope, did not - I don't own a TV (sure, we have one in our house, but I threw my personal one in the bin years ago); we're not all that big on TV in my house.

I'm more likely to retire with a good read, be on this/ my turntables (I spend far too much time on them), or do something active (learn a language, for example). I know, I'm an odd 'en.

Haven't clicked the link, what's it about? Someone inheriting a load of money and living in the slums of Glasgow? (I'm not actually from the slums, btw :w00t:)

-djmm

16. Re: Can you give a preference as to which helicopter you wor

My bold
    Guaranteed your next posting will be to Gannet! ;)

17. Re: Can you give a preference as to which helicopter you wor

Slim chance of that fella. Gannet SAR is civvy now. (Another 2nd line billet gone!) :threaten:

18. Re: Can you give a preference as to which helicopter you wor

:eek: So the pilots and Sea Kings are RN but all the support ataff (engineers, techies etc) are all civvie?!

19. Yep. Why should they be Matelots? They don't deploy anymore (No 819NAS). There may be one or two providing stop-gap cover in a billet or two, but long term it's gonna be Civvy. I'm pretty sure that all UK SAR is going civvy anyway in the future.