Can you Delay/Cancel your Fitness test

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by IconicBuck, Feb 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have my medical 12th this month and I've been training only recently and I'm no were near ready for 1.5miles in under 11.30 minutes, am i right in thinking i would have to cancel my medical and take it later on as you HAVE to do the fitness test 28 days after your medical ?

Did my test and passed with 9.32! had nothing to worry about
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  2. Unless you've been ill, I reckon you need to question whether you have the commitment to join the RN. I'm 55 and can run 1.5 miles ln less than 11.30 mins.
    Infact 11.30 is not much more than a brisk walk.ffs.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. You have 28 days from your medical, sensible training and you should be alright, are you within the required weight perameters? I am still in the application process myself so I can't give 'recruiter' advice, but I would imagine it is better to let them know, you do get 3 attempts but it will add time onto your application if you do fail and all that. I am sure someone will be along in a bit with an answer
  4. well the thing is ive been training on a tredmill for the past month now and ive been doing 1.5 in under 8 mins ... im starting the question if im running in miles or kilometres because 1.5km is about 0.9 miles ... also my treadmill is rubbish as it can only go up to 10 on speed
  5. just looked at the manual it does 10kph which is very easy for me to keep up with
  6. And there is your answer to your question above. You have been running in Km not miles.
  7. You're not the brightest puppy in the litter are you?
    • Like Like x 5
  8. Defiantly, shocking at maths i am... guess ill be cancelling and buying a better treadmill then
  9. A better treadmill won't make you run bet is to save your money and go and measure a mile and a half outside...and then run like feck...and keep doing it till you get under 11.30mins....twice a day..once early and again in the've got stacks of time !!!
  10. OMM

OMM War Hero

Trust me you will know if you're running 1.5 miles in 8 minutes!

How about you sack off the treadmill and get your running shoes on, the PJFT requirements are absolutely shocking and you're dripping that you can't do it?

Take a look at yourself, how long have you been in the joining process and you knew this was coming? Failing to prepare is preparing to fail!
  11. The first time the navy get in touch with you via letter for any date for any part of the process they say and i quote "strongly asvise to start exercising regularly" You should know what you are getting involved in, and 4 weeks you have max to get 1.5 mile in under 11:30, that is a realistic target so get your jogging shoes on
  12. If you go running five times a week for the four weeks you have then you will be fit enough to pass the PJFT. Push yourself and you'll do it! If you still can't then i'd suggest the Navy isn't for you.
  13. OMM

OMM War Hero

When I first started training I was going for RM and their PJFT is 12:30 then 60 second break then again under 10 mins on a 2% incline and I went from not being able to finish the 2nd 1.5 at all to 11 minutes then 10:45 then 9:30 and a PB of 8:42 and I did this from January to March.

Just get your head screwed on, focus on your goals and run.
  14. Road running is a hell of a lot easier than treadmill running, and is how the RNFT is performed. I think the PJFT is treadmill based but still - run on a road. If you stay on a treadmill, 1.5 miles is equivalent to 2.4 km. You'll need to set the pace to around 13.5 km.h-1 to scrape it - bit faster to smash it. These figures arn't 100% accurate but I'm afraid I can't be arsed working it out - mainly because of the distinct whiff of dogshit I'm experiencing.

I really hate being in Pompey.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Yep, quite a few of these sites around to plan your route and distance for mile and half.

WalkJogRun Running Routes
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  16. OMM

OMM War Hero

Or Nike+ if you have an iPhone.
  17. [​IMG]

Habit forming isn't it......=D
    Sorry MODs couldn't resit it, standing by heels together.
    • Like Like x 4
  18. i couldnt do my run and i took advantage of the 28days now i can practically wlk the 1.5 in 11.30, just do some core and run more 1.5 everyday
  19. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

"Interestingly", as candidates undergo a quick medical 'once-over' (BP, BMI, and the obligatory: "You ain't going to die/leave a dockyard pizza on my treadmill are you?") there is no reason why a full service medical must be undertaken before the PJFT - it's not really a random spaceshot to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life forms and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before. It's more of a timed 2.4Km run on the bouncy, rubbery, moving spot, really.

To this end, it's quite possible your AFCO may send you the PJFT before the medical examination as a gauge of motivation.

If it's not completed within the 28 days for no other reason than the individual couldn't be bothered getting fit enough, then it counts as a first fail. A fail adds two months to the wait to join, which effectively means two months' new entry pay is forfeited, ie: bye-bye 2/12ths of £14,145. It's not so much you're letting your headteacher, the whole of your primary school and the Royal Navy down, you're simply ripping yourself off.

Top tip; Log-off, trainers on, get a training partner, get running outside.

Mix-up your training with swims & cycles (non-impact CV) so you're not running daily and battering your knobbly knees too much.

Good luck.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. OMM

OMM War Hero

Set myself up for that,

But I didn't come close ha!