Can women serve on Mine Countermeasure Vessels?

#1
I can't seem to find any information to confirm whether they can or not. I have looked around all the MCMV homepages and checked out the photo gallery's and can't seem to find any pictures of or write ups on women but there seems to be no information suggesting they cannot work onboard in certain roles (logs for example)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
 
#3
BBB

Yes.

Women are excluded from serving on submarines, as divers and as Royal Marines but not, AFAIK, on Mine Countermeasure Vessels. I can see no logical reason why they would be.

Is this something which would interest you?
 
#4
Yeah it's definitely something that would interest me and I didn't think there was a logical reason why I wouldn't be able to serve on them. I just think a little bit of paranoia set in when I was checking out all the MCMV homepages and couldn't find any sign of women! Must dig deeper...

Thankyou for the confirmation, Soleil :)
 
#6
Additionally, bear in mind that MCMVs don't carry any Logs (Personnel). They do have Catering Services ratings comprising a Leading Chef, a Chef and a Steward.
 

mrbullcrap

Lantern Swinger
#7
Spidiver said:
Women officers currently serve on MCMV's, but as yet there are no female ratings, mainly due to the very limited space onboard.
PRRR!! sorry for laughing at the divers comment but female ratings do serve on mcmvs!
 

Blackrat

War Hero
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#8
mrbullcrap said:
PRRR!! sorry for laughing at the divers comment but female ratings do serve on mcmvs!
Everyone should contribute something to a discussion. Your contribution should be silence.
 
#9
mrbullcrap said:
Spidiver said:
Women officers currently serve on MCMV's, but as yet there are no female ratings, mainly due to the very limited space onboard.
PRRR!! sorry for laughing at the divers comment but female ratings do serve on mcmvs!
Always willing to learn..do tell, rates trades etc..numbers..
 
#12
Naval_Gazer said:
Additionally, bear in mind that MCMVs don't carry any Logs (Personnel). They do have Catering Services ratings comprising a Leading Chef, a Chef and a Steward.
Ohh okay, thankyou. I just came across HMS Atherstone logistics department which talked about "stocktaking and storeroom management, to hotel services, food preparation for 48 crew and accounting" and had thought that personnel might fit into there somehow.
 

mrbullcrap

Lantern Swinger
#13
For the sake of helping the little lady out

There is one currently serving LH WS(MW) serving on an mcmv, there were a couple of others who recently went in to train for their killicks don't know if they're also serving as killicks at this point, also you can get a draft on any other branch (even on divers branch if you believe what the RNR says) but easier said than done due to limited accomodation spaces for female ratings on board ship.
There are currently no female mw PO's serving, so the positive is you could be one of the first female POMW's to serve in the RN so get cracking with your taskbooks! Also i believe more females should be welcome to serve! :)

Edit: Just hear say of course, i on the other hand don't know much about mw.
 
#16
blondeblackbelt said:
Naval_Gazer said:
Additionally, bear in mind that MCMVs don't carry any Logs (Personnel). They do have Catering Services ratings comprising a Leading Chef, a Chef and a Steward.
Ohh okay, thankyou. I just came across HMS Atherstone logistics department which talked about "stocktaking and storeroom management, to hotel services, food preparation for 48 crew and accounting" and had thought that personnel might fit into there somehow.
Yes, all performed by the three ratings I've mentioned as orchestrated by the ship's Coxswain, normally a Petty Officer (Diver). Responsibility comes early in smaller ships. Pay, promotion and other personnel admin is managed by Logs (Personnel) staff at their shore base. However, a Leading Logs (Personnel) is borne at Squadron level ashore and acts as the Sqn Cdr's Secretary (more important than it sounds), often accompanying him (no 'her' to date) when he deploys with his staff for operations and exercises afloat or to a FOB (Forward Operating Base).
 
#18
There's certainly no room in the Officer's flat on a Hunt Class for an additional female cabin. I had to sleep in the switchboard when I visited for a week.
 

Similar threads

New Posts