Can the Navy transform someone?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Blackberry, Jan 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I knew a guy from high school who was painfully shy that he was practically scared of his own shadow. Used to ask him out for drinks when we went to sixth-form too (because I could use him as a chick-magnet, this guy had good looks). Girls were all over him, but he never spoke. He was more or less suffering from social anxiety.

Years down the line, didn't see him since as I went off to university and being in a job for 6 years, I met him in the local. Turns out he's a Lieutenant in RN. Such a top bloke. He has a great sense of humour (not changed from high school). I went bright red and asked him why he went in and he said he was interested. It was like speaking to someone completely different. I knew this guy had the lowest of self-esteem possible. He used to talk himself down in everything, I felt sorry for the guy.

Anyways, just need to ask, can the Navy really transform someone that frighten of himself into a dashing young man with self-confidence that could knock Paul Mckenna off his feet? He must of pulled hundreds of women with that uniform!

2. OMM

OMM War Hero

Looks like he's pulled you by the sound of it...

• Like Like x 3
  3. Yes, it does change you.

I joined up as a 16 year old kid, by the time I'd left 6 years later, I'd turned into a 22 year old young adult.

4. In a word - Yes.

Teaches a lot of things that can't be learned in civvy street. Including self confidence.

5. I joined the Mob at 17 when they had finished with me I was a moaning beer swilling old t*wat. after I turned 18 I settled down a bit

• Like Like x 2
  6. It's called growing up and is nothing to do with the Navy.

7. It transformed me from a sober young man into a pisshead of the highest calibre.

8. You don't seem to be as proud of this as I would expect.
    What more should they have done for you?

9. Given him some DF's what else

10. I no longer buy socks, ever. Does that count?

• Like Like x 3
  11. I got up to things Mummy would definitely not approved of if I'd tried the same at home, believe it's called "character building" and the OP's oppo couldn't have been that shy if he passed AIB. Maybe he was just quiet because he's won the role of duty friend again!

12. The short answer to the question is yes.From Spring Chicken to hairy-arsed Shitehawk in about twelve months or quicker depending on amount of effort expended.

13. Why was she homophobic?:lol:

• Like Like x 1
  14. I was shy, spotty and wouldn't say boo to a baby goose when I joined up.
    Then the LHOM on my first ever ship shoved a tube of toothpaste up my arse.
    I saw the light - joined Das Boots and went completely insane.

15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Clearly he gave you the ring of confidence.

16. Did you get the Colgate "ring of confidence"?

Edited to state I am now actively seeking to capture as many pigeons as I can and have them transported to Liverpool.
    I will then observe if distraction slows up post response.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Too slow, dude.

• Like Like x 1
  18. What the hell do you [email protected] into then.....? ;)

19. Women.

Ten letters.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Not that T42stoker would know :) Welcome back.

• Like Like x 1