Can someone tell me if my gym routine is ok?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by tenacious_g, Jun 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey everyone!

Hoping to join the RN as an Marine Engineering Technician and have my psychometric test on Friday. Im confident that I'll pass, and think the same about the interview afterwards (and thanks for all the threads on here, given me alot of help).

Only one very small thing to ask. The PJFT- At the moment, I go to the gym most days. Im 5'11 and weigh 14 stone (Im not fat, just quite muscular) and was wondering if on the 4 day test, if its really just constant running, pressups and pushups, just so I can alter my gym routine.

At the moment, I do the following

Monday- 20 mins on the treadmill at "cross country" level 19
    Assisted pull-ups
    wide grip lat pull-ups
    Close Grip lat-pull-ups
    Machine crunches (80kg, 4 sets of 15)
    15 mins on rowing machine

Tuesday- Swimming

Wednesday- 20 mins on the treadmill at "cross country" level 19
    Bench press
    Weighted dips
    Dumbell machine

Thursday - Swimming

Friday- Wednesday- 20 mins on the treadmill at "cross country" level 19
    Bear Complex
    Dumbell press
    Tricep pushdown
    Bicep 21's

Saturday- Swimming

Then have a break on Sunday

Will this be enough to send me through my 4 day test? Ive been a regular at the gym for about 2 years, but since Ive applied for the RN Ive had to amend what Ive been doing to get a good mix of stamina/strength and explosive power. Ive also come off creatine completely so that I lose any excess water.

WIll this be enough to serve me through the training, or is there anything I should alter?

Also, my swimming is getting better, but the local pool doesnt take kindly to people swimming fully clothed, are there any other ways to prepare for this?

Many thanks in advance,

2. Hi!

Which 4 day test? As far as I'm aware the PJFT is a 2.4 KM run on a treadmill at a local gym, and the time limit depends on your age. Unless this is different for an MET?

Are you thinking of the RNAC? this is a four day "taster" course which covers a variety of the aspects of a new recruits course at Raleigh. There isnt a pass/fail - although passing the 2.4 km at this stage would be passed back to you AFCO.

On a side note I did my medical about a month back. according to the BMI scale I am overweight - but the doctor took into account muscle mass (measuring chest / waist) and passed me without question so I wouldnt worry about that.

In answer to your main question, I'm no PTI but it seems that you're doing the right exercises - and plenty of it so keep it up!
  3. Erm...which 4 day test are you talking about? As an ET(ME) there is no 4 day physical training course...

The only thing that sounds remotely like that is the PRMC...and that's for guys who are joining the Royal Marines, not the Engineering branch.
  4. Sorry, I may have understood the girl at the careers office, Im sure she mentioned something about a 4 day test, so I assumed thats where all the fitness tests would take place. My mistake!
  5. Nah mate - all you need to do is the 2.4k (1.5 mile) treadmill run. That's the PJFT for the RN. But keep the gym sessions up - it all helps!
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The odds are that someone somewhere is confusing Royal Marine, with Marine Engineers. Two completely different beasties. (The latter being better looking.)

The Royal Navy Fitness Standards are quite different due to the nature of the job. Royal Marines have a more physically demanding selection procedure
  7. Look decent enough to me but try to keep it simple, do your runs, and bodyweight excercise, but get rid of some of the weights training, and replace it with compound excercises such as dead lift, squats, shoulder press and benchpress. Doing compound excercises will increase your strength alot more than doing all the ones you mentioned.
    BUT..... if you find that your training routine is working for you, no need to change it, just train hard.
    I usually tend to just to keep to compound exercises 3x a week and have variation, so the fist week i will do 4x12 excercises then the next week i will do supersets for the week then back to normal sets just to keep my body guessing, i found this works for me really well.

Good luck
  8. the training you'll be required to do at HMS Raleigh is almost exclusively cardio, ditch the weights and hit the running track.
  9. You haven't got to be superfit for the Royal Navy, fit yes, superfit, no.
    I think if you can run your 2.4km in a decent time, can do enough pressups, dips, and a few pullups, you're going to be middle of the class.
    I just hope that tenacious_g isn't signing up as a Marine Engineer Technician (MET), and thinking that he will come out as a Royal Engineer, a sapper, in 24 Commando Regiment.

10. (The latter being better looking.) Unquote:

Now now, don't be modest.
  11. Sorry, I'm hardly qualified to comment!!!!
  12. take it he is training for the marines
  13. What the f*ck is an MET? (here's a hint, it's not a real rate in the RN!)

dips and pullups are not required or practiced at HMS Raleigh, you'll know this once you've been and then your words of advice will be worth more than the paper they're not even written on. Until then, go away and practice handwashing your socks.
  14. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

:lol: :lol:

Ain't that the truth! :wink: