Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Can someone please help

Carl18

So basically I have managed to got myself confused with the phase 1 and phase 2 side of training I was told that phase 1 is at HMS Raleigh then phase 2 is at Collingwood

So phase 1 is 10 weeks

How long is phase 2 and what will I learn?

Just to really confuse you, some Phase 1 classes will be doing Phase 1 at Collingwood, not Raleigh :)

What you will learn depends on what branch you're joining.

I heard about the phase 1 training going on at Collingwood due to the extra applicants. When you say it depends what branch you're joining is there a list of branches that will be going to Collingwood instead of Raleigh?

Going through my medical to join as a WE, so was wondering if the Collingwood situation changes anything? I'd assume they'd send those who go to Collingwood for the phase 2 training.

You're right, Phase 1 is 10 weeks and is common to ALL Rating entrants. Except those undergoing Phase 1 at BRNC are only doing 9 weeks - whether Collingwood Phase 1 is going to be 9 or 10 weeks I couldn't say.

Phase 1 entry dates are predicated on the start dates of Phase 2 training (as best they can be), so that MOST will move straight from Phase 1 to Phase 2; I wouldn't be surprised then to see some whose Phase 2 is at Raleigh doing their Phase 1 at Collingwood and vice versa.

Phase 2 is initial professional training - the length of which depends on branch.

You're right, Phase 1 is 10 weeks and is common to ALL Rating entrants. Except those undergoing Phase 1 at BRNC are only doing 9 weeks - whether Collingwood Phase 1 is going to be 9 or 10 weeks I couldn't say.
Only 9 instead of 10? How comes they’ve manage to knock a week off of training. Bit of a let down if you get told that not only are you not training at Raleigh, but your also doing a shortened course. A week is only a week I know but still.

I don’t know enough detail to be able to answer that I’m afraid, though I’m not convinced that it’s a let-down going to BRNC instead. The admittedly few conversations I’ve had with members of Whittall Division suggest they’re proud of being at Dartmouth.

Fair enough. Be interesting to hear what’s happening with Collingwood, whether they do 9 or 10 weeks since I’m almost certain I’ll be doing phase one there. It’s less being sent elsewhere to do phase one, I’m sure Dartmouth is great to train at, but it does feel like you’re missing out a bit if you only do 9 weeks instead of the full 10.

Might the missing week be down to simple logistics? In that BRNC does not have a Damage Control, FF or RAS rig? And busing the bods between the establishments is exactly what we need to avoid?

Note to reader; This is a stab in the dark, by somebody who knows nowt.

ETA: This does not surprise me:
"The admittedly few conversations I’ve had with members of Whittall Division suggest they’re proud of being at Dartmouth."

Might the missing week be down to simple logistics? In that BRNC does not have a Damage Control, FF or RAS rig? And busing the bods between the establishments is exactly what we need to avoid?
Makes sense I suppose. Don’t you do damage control and HAVOC again as part of phase 2 anyway?

Latest Threads