Can RNR access the Forces University Short Courses system?

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Purple_twiglet, Jul 29, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

2. Unless it's a required competency for your billet, I doubt it. If your entitled to ELC, then these might pay for it. This is my experience with education matters. Someone may come along and prove me wrong but that's my 2 pennies worth.

3. Purple_twiglet

The DIN I saw today said any one in the services can apply due to the variety of courses of offer at all ranks. But its unclear if it applies to the reserves.

Reserves do get ELC and courses are free at point of origin and don't need ELCs, so genuinely curious if we can go on them or not.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  4. Speak to your units education officer ( if you have one ) and ask if you can do it. If you don't ask you don't get. Even if your not entitled a bit of BS could get you on one!
    As I said earlier, a big factor would be if your position ( billet ) requires these adquals. The navy aren't that keen on wasting money these days

5. fails_as_is

fails_as_is Badgeman Book Reviewer

In fact it appears that ALL service personnel can attend USCP courses, and if it's actually required for your duties, your Career Manager should be appointing you to the relevant course.

6. This thread is breaking me. University Short Courses are pretty much for personal development, and 'help Service personnel make a more effective contribution to Service life by developing their knowledge and personal skills'. It's bugger all to do with your 'billet' or your Career Manager.

Alas Twiglet, I can't actually answer your question! But there's contact details on p5 of the document for the NETS team who would be able to?

Good luck - I know a couple of people who've attended and rave about them.

7. Purple_twiglet

Cheers Spare Rib - I'd tried making contact but hit the dread OOO message, and needed to sort out applications for some soonish.

8. Nothing to lose by submitting an application. Chances are they'll prioritise, so if there's no full-time personnel applying they may accept reserves to use the places