can i take... (to raleigh)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by k800i, Nov 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. vitamin pills, protein powder & creatine powder

on my kit list it mentions a 1 litre water bottle, however when i was at my AFCO my career officer gave me a royal navy bottle which is slightly less than 1 litre, will that do? They aint going to get pedantic down there on volume measurements are they :dwarf:

electric toothbrush (with charger stand)

2. Yes, yes and yes. Unless things have changed drastically, maybe Ninja can confirm.

Use the RN one.

I don't see why not, but I'd use a mandraulic one if I were you.
  3. Yep, they measure the contents and if it doesn't meet their tolerance of 0.000001% then they ditch it and make you buy a new one (from the firm your instructor will have shares in).

I honestly wouldn't worry about these things, you shouldn't need the vitamins and stuff as the diet provided should (theoretically) provide you with all you need without having to take supplements.

As for the Toothbrush I don't know as we didn't have them in my day.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Concur, but there's absolutely no need to take Creatine, the meals are completely adequate & artificially inducing ATP production is a waste of money for Phase One training.

It is probably unlikely that someone will measure the specific cubic capacity of your water bottle, as you have done, unless it is instantly visibly smaller in size.

If your "lecky toothbrush" charger is mains operated, it needs to be electrically tested as safe to use.
  5. Thanks. i think i'll just use a normal toothbrush.

Also.. should i keep my BUPA medical insurance? if i got sick in the Navy would the NHS still deal with me .. waiting lists, crap service etc
  6. No-one can tell you whether to ditch your BUPA or not. I did, because by and large the Navy will treat a whole lotta stuff for free (including dental work) that you'd pay for elsewhere. If something really bad happens though, you'd rather end up in a BUPA hospital, so it's very much a personal choice.
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The Royal Navy has free medical & dental healthcare and a private healthcare intiative in case NHS waiting lists are too long for serving personnel- obviously we do not wish for our personnel to be unecessarily unfit for work for extended periods.

Families of service RN personnel are not afforded this cover, so it is up to the individual whether they maintain private health insurance for their family.
  8. They're not that bothered about the size. I took one which must have been more than 1l.Having said that being not really required they let us off with hell.

They give you more free water bottles while you're down there I think, from forces financial.
  9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I concur with the comments posted so far; however as an aside, can I suggest that once you 'pass out'/'in'/'whatever' from Basic Training and enter the Fleet you should take out some form of personal insurance policies that endorse military personnel (many companies will not, due to the risk element involved with the job).

Once you join Raleigh see if you can get hold of the Forces' Discount booklets (or online at: Forces Discount Directory) which will recommend such companies.

I use the following:

For personal injury: PAX Insurance

For military kit & personal contents: Forces Financial Insurance

For travel (medical, delayed flights, etc.): Green Flag Insurance

Obviously it is personal choice, but whatever you decide please ensure that you tell them that you are Armed Forces personnel; some companies will not provide cover for you so when/if you come to make a claim they may not pay out as the policy is invalid. Those they will provide you with a policy my increase your premiums slightly due to the nature/theatre of your work, however some companies (like those above) have policies specifically designed for Armed Forces personnel.

And no, I am not a Financial Adviser nor do I make any commission from the companies that I have recommended! :thumright: