can i serve the full 18 years?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by hohohoey, Jan 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i am 25 and was wondering if i could serve the full 18 years or only until i am 40?
  2. No mate, but you can do 22. How about that 4 extra
  3. It's 18 years now alacrity - though the whole 'pensionable service' thing is far more complicated.
  4. thought it changed from 22 to 18?
  5. Blimey, is this all part of the Tri Service thingy?
  6. if you are 25 you would serve till you are 43 mate if you done your full 18 yrs service
  7. More the radical pension change in '05 (though it is tri-service). It's until age 40 or 18 years if over 22.

Don't even ask about LS or OE 8O
  8. thankyou chaps
  9. But that's what I wanted to ask!!!! :lol:
  10. aye, it's 18 years or til the age of 40 or whichever is longer.

11. i was under the illusion that it was which ever comes around first, so in your case itll be age 40 then you will go before the admirality who will then decide wether or not to offer you an additional contract
  12. It's just that - an illusion.

What has been said before is correct. Eighteen years or age 40, whichever comes later.
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You were indeed under an illusion.

It's whichever is longer (ie: occurs last), not whichever's first.

So the answer is that the person can serve 18 years if reaching the age of 40 happens first, as already stated.
  14. i withdraw my last statement...

i feel as pathetic as morty :(
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You already demonstrate a sense of humour :wink:
  16. hi i'll be 34 when i begin training and was planning to stay in as long as i possibly can what age would that make me when i leave is it 56 or 52.
  17. you'll be 52, same age as me if i can get in...... we'll be old timers lol
  18. will that be the maximum
  19. You can serve until 55 if you get the extension of service - there is no guarantee that you will.

Edit: Not having a dig, but can you really not add 18 to 34?
  20. yeah i can do the maths just that i was told by my afco when i originally applied that it was 22 years full service. i was hoping to retire after doing full length of service sounds like i got to work after now.