Can i leave the RN and join the Army?

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by pebble_skeg, Jan 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Firstly i apologise to any throbbers for spelling mistakes or posting in the wrong place.

I am a submariner, been in the navy for only about 18 months. After getting my dolphins, becoming lower leval qualified etc and doing a 3 month deployment i have come to the conclusion that the navy really isnt for me. I dont enjoy alot of the crap and to be honest it is bloody boring and for me, the bad points far out weigh the good points.

Now i have heared and researched a little about an 'early termination' clause in my contract which i could use to leave, as well as just begging the old chaplain to help sort something out due to me being quite unhappy with the RN way of life but, will an early departure effect chances of signing up to the army to go into the infantry for example?

Any advice/info on anyone who has done this would be much apreciated. Cheers.

2. Pretty drastic change. I seriously doubt the grass is any greener on the other side.
    Going from 3 meals a day in an air conditioned boat with your own pit. To sleeping in sand and shitting / eating in same sand. Then having some sand warrior trying to kill you is a little ******* stupid.
    If your not happy with RN life then I can only guess your going to be just as unhappy with Army life.
    Pull up your big boy pants and get on with life. Make the most of what you have. You have put a lot of effort to get where you are. Be proud of that. Look for the positive and build on it. Are you gay? Is that the issue? If not then i am sorry for asking if you are then suck it up, it will be compulsory soon enough and you will be all set.
    What ever you good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ha! tbh being an ET hasnt made me the 'engineer' i thought it would. The job is boring, incredibly boring. Its just not for me and not what i thought it would be. If its what i want to do then so be it, there is no point living an unhappy shit life onboard when i dont want to. I'm proud to be in the forces and incredibly proud to be a submariner. I need to know will an early exit from the RN effect my chances of signing up to the Army to eat shit in the sand or whatever it was rather than faff about with pumps and valves?! ha cheers for the reply

4. ha! tbh being an ET hasnt made me the 'engineer' i thought it would. The job is boring, incredibly boring. Its just not for me and not what i thought it would be. If its what i want to do then so be it, there is no point living an unhappy shit life onboard when i dont want to. I'm proud to be in the forces and incredibly proud to be a submariner. I need to know will an early exit from the RN effect my chances of signing up to the Army to eat shit in the sand or whatever it was rather than faff about with pumps and valves?! ha cheers for the reply.

5. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

There will be a way. One of the MODS on here (doesn't post very often anymore unfortunately) went from a submariner to a pongo calling in the fast air in Afganistan.

DO NOT REPEAT NOT GO DOWN THE SKY PILOT ROUTE

That'll be around your neck like a lead weight where ever you go. Suck it up, do your time, do your time so you have a competent and good report so Percy realises he's going to get a good egg and repost this in Newbies so Ninja Stoker can give you the gen on how to transfer (He's an AFCO God).

P.s Dont worry learning personal hygiene skills, you'll end up a smelly pongo.... :)

6. 'Throbbers'. Good start you cock.

What RR said apart from the homophobic self-doubt he expressed, but he's an insecure **** anyhow.

You're clearly a lightweight who is of no use to the armed forces or any other employer I would imagine.

I await a phone call from you asking if I have paid PPI.

• Like Like x 1
  7. wet_blobby

He doesn't like floating around above or below the oggin..... it's not a crime....

8. Pebbles, as you stated, you have only been in for 5 minutes. You really need to give it a chance. You have probably just finished your Part 3 and will have been run ragged learning all your systems. Now, as one step up from a tramp's dog, you find yourself doing 'crappy' jobs. What you need to do is look around you and see where you will be going in the future, then put into place steps to get there.

I was a submariners and before that, General Service. During that time, with sports events, exchange jollies etc, I saw a bit of Army life - trust me, no REALLY trust me, life in the RN on a bad day kicks the arse out of the Army on a good day. Think how laid back your day to day life is on your boat. Well, the Army is just a tad different - they are pedantic personified. No first names to seniors or officers, and that is just on the sports field!

Then you'll lose your Submarine Pay......

But at the end of the day, only you can decide - and you will be cool as feck in a green suit with Dolphins!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The job doesn't suit everyone, granted.

Whilst ET(MESM)'s can attain a list of extremely useful nuclear qualifications and experience, the service, perhaps understandably, is not going to hand over the control and maintenance of a nuclear propulsion plant and it's ancillary 'bits'n'bobs to an individual still with wet paint on his 'kissing kippers' and a 3 month 'deployment' under his belt. Patience Jedi.

As I'm fairly sure the OP is aware, the conventional methods of exit involve opting out (PVR) in the first 6 months of service or completing the Standard Initial Training Period (SITP), a 2.5 year Return of Service (RoS) - not unreasonably required to justify the financial outlay involved in branch training, followed by submitting 12 months (sometimes less) notice to quit.

All "exits" are via your Divisional Officer. Your DO is also the person that is pivotal in determining your future military career prospects, so "burning bridges" is not recommended.

The "best" method of exit, is to transfer whilst still serving. To do this the individual needs manning clearance to transfer. Not unreasonably, the service may insist the RoS is completed first. It ain't conscription but you joined voluntarily, no-one made you join. Also, to gain manning clearance, there has to be a manning surplus in your branch so that there is no operational impact. Finally it causes less nausea when inboard so that no-one gets stitched to fill your seagoing billet.

The "Unhappy under 18" exit strategy is probably inapplicable if you've been in the service 18 months and waited more than 6 months to join.

The "wibble" method, besides getting snot on a pair of pencils, causes most nausea. It also bites the individual in the arse, big time, I'm happy to report. Claiming stress, anxiety, depression and/or compassionate grounds or any other mental health related issue to leave in haste is a 'hot potato' particularly in the Submarine Service. The Army are sitting on a PTSD "time-bomb" following operations in the Gulf & Afghanistan. (For those interested in stats, have a gander here: PRMC forum - Mental Health ) In short the Army is at best "twitchy" when it comes to employing anyone with a mental health issue severe enough to cause discharge. Will they take you? Ask the Army. The Navy will pass over your service records to help them decide.

The "CDT" method of exit is a bar to any future government employment.

My advice? Speak to your DO.

Your call. Good luck.

10. TJP

TJP

Peebles the Salvation army are always looking for ground troops ( just a thought )

11. Daft question

Why not look at the RM? It'd be an intra-Service transfer. I know a couple of blokes (Officers admittedly, but what's sauce for the goose is same for the gander etc) who have gone dark blue - RM and haven't looked back.

Just a thought

C

12. wet_blobby

You've got to have the looks of Adonis and the cock of Black beauty to do that... :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. One of the ex-matelot RM blokes I worked with CERTAINLY matched Black Beauty in cock-a-bility stakes, WB. Shame it was out of his forehead!!

Then again, he was a bit of an anomaly, the rest of them were H-H-HOOOOOOFFING blokes.

14. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Having worked loads with the Infantry my advice is don't do it. You think it's more interesting? 99% waiting, 1% fighting. There are much more interesting jobs in the Army where you can still see front line service if that floats your boat. Surely there are other options in the RN you can consider?

15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

RM is probably the more viable method of "in service" transfer for matelots as there is a projected shortfall of Royal Marines. Problem is you've got to be "fitter" than your average squaddie.

Quite. As Blobbs points-out, it could be painful.

Black Beauty was a gelding, if memory serves...:D

• Like Like x 3
  16. You are correct Ninja, why do you think NewZealand Booty left him?
    I heard in the naafi he was rigged like the proverbial three badge canary, he fled to NZ in shame and worked for a time as Doris in an all night transport cafe.

17. I spent 27 years in the mob, 14 in boats and the rest in general service. During that time I spent over 2 years working with the army and living in an army married quarter. Believe me you are better off in the pusser, life in the RN is far better than the crap most of the army have to put up with. I was a senior rate at that time and spent alot of my social life in the Sargeants mess, the way most army seniors treated, talked about and the general lack of respect for their juniors was unbelievable. Especially in the front line regiments. No the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Try and stick the mob out, later in life you will never regret that decision.

18. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

OP as a matter of interest are you SSN or SSBN?

19. BR3, transfers from RN to Army. Read and enjoy.

20. Having spent 24 years in blue.

The next 20 years as a civvy working alongside the 'Be The Best' lot.

Not a day goes by when I don't utter the magic words. "Thank **** I joined the Navy"

If the OP wishes to join Percy - feel free. Methinks he may live to regret the decision!