Can I join the Royal Marines?

Dan1234

Hi, I’m 17 years old and I’ve been wanting to join the Royal Marines for about 5 years. The problem is 2 years ago I had breathing problems for about a week. I went to the doctors and they gave me an asthma inhaler. The inhaler had no efffect in improving my breathing and I soon realised that it wasn’t asthma that I had. It was just a small stage of anxiety (I don’t suffer from this anymore). So I don’t have asthma. I’m extremely fit and have no issues with breathing. Earlier this year I tried joining the army as a mechanic but was turned away because it was seen on my record that I was given an asthma inhaler which is a huge pain cos I don’t have asthma and no one in my family has ever had asthma ever. Is there anything i can do at all to get this sorted cos I’m desperate to start serving and I don’t want to wait another 2 years when there isn’t anything wrong with me. Cheers lads.

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
I am pretty certain that you have a wait on your hands, or at least a few letters to write. However I am no expert. If you search the forums you will find some other threads on this exact topic.

@Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Hi, I’m 17 years old and I’ve been wanting to join the Royal Marines for about 5 years. The problem is 2 years ago I had breathing problems for about a week. I went to the doctors and they gave me an asthma inhaler. The inhaler had no efffect in improving my breathing and I soon realised that it wasn’t asthma that I had. It was just a small stage of anxiety (I don’t suffer from this anymore). So I don’t have asthma. I’m extremely fit and have no issues with breathing. Earlier this year I tried joining the army as a mechanic but was turned away because it was seen on my record that I was given an asthma inhaler which is a huge pain cos I don’t have asthma and no one in my family has ever had asthma ever. Is there anything i can do at all to get this sorted cos I’m desperate to start serving and I don’t want to wait another 2 years when there isn’t anything wrong with me. Cheers lads.
If you've wanted to join the Royal Marines for five years, how come you applied to join the Army earlier this year as a Mechanic?

It sounds to me like you've wanted to be a Royal Marine since being knocked back by the Army for four years from your last inhaler prescription and are hoping it doesn't apply for a job that is significantly more physically demanding. This brings into question integrity regarding the circumstances described and the logical next question: "Will the Navy know if it is not declared?" can be answered: Yes.

Mental health issues such as panic attacks, anxiety and depression which require treatment can also be an issue with regard medical suitability for service. If the inhaler was prescribed for a chest infection it may be viewed differently but anxiety would also be an issue unfortunately.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy and Royal Marines join major French deployment MoD News 0
soleil Telegraph: "10 Things No One Tells You Before You Join The Royal Marines" The Corps 27
D hey there, if i initaily requested to join the royal marines The Corps 5
M Waiting time to join the Royal Marines The Corps 6
P Youngest age to join the Royal Marines? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
sniffpipes Am i too old to join the Royal Marines !!!! Diamond Lil's 9
M 15 years old and wishing to join the Royal Navy as an officer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Ed.Ed. Is there a way to join the Royal Navy if I fail the recruitment test. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
R Am i eligible to join the Royal Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
D 34 Years young, considering attempting to join the Royal Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy destroyer to join ballistic defence trial MoD News 0
Horatio Nelson If The Royal Navy Didn't Pay, Would You Still Join? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 44
M Join the Merchant Navy: Forget the Royal Navy The Gash Barge 35
M Can i join the royal navy with a criminal record. Diamond Lil's 59
R Trying to re-join the royal navy what a nightmare !!!!!! Submariners 17
D Ex army wanting to join royal navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 91
S does anybody join the royal navy on 28th feb 2010? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
Scarface2009 why did you want to join the Royal Navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 68
Q Why do you want to join the Royal Navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 38
B Why do you want to join the Royal Navy???? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
H ROYAL NAVY WANTING TO JOIN Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 186
MoD_RSS Government urges public to make a difference and join the police MoD News 0
M Should I join the Reserves or Regular? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS More than 3,000 extra officers join police in recruitment drive MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus: British, French and Dutch join forces in the Caribbean MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Carlisle City Council becomes latest local authority to join central Local Land Charges Register MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dairy industry to join together to manage milk supply MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government and video games industry join forces in fight against coronavirus MoD News 0
P Join as a Rating or Officer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
MoD_RSS Supermarkets to join forces to feed the nation MoD News 0
L Advice on whether or not to join as a submariner Joining the Royal Navy 14
Ninja_Stoker Minimum Height to join RN & RM Joining the Royal Navy 11
soleil RN Website: "Why Join The RFA?" RFA 0
P Still be able to join? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
J Joining as a chef, should I join the RFA or the RN? RFA 11
J Should I join the RN or RFA as a chef. Joining the Royal Navy 6
MoD_RSS Watford Borough Council becomes latest local authority to join Local Land Charges Register MoD News 0
soleil Forces Network: "Navy Veterans Join Future Sailors For Training On Dartmoor" Bases / Shore Est 1
MoD_RSS UK and Australia join forces in simulated African swine fever exercise MoD News 0
S AIB fail - join RNR? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
S Would like to join but on anti depressants. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS African tech firms invited to join UK-led growth project MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence leaders to join forces at 2020 Space Conference MoD News 0
K Another 17 year old wanting to join the Navy Joining the Royal Navy 20
M 17yr old wanting to join the RN Joining the Royal Navy 21
MoD_RSS Join the SORP Committee MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sniffer dogs at the border join fight against African swine fever MoD News 0
J Can i still join the navy with this conviction? Joining the Royal Navy 6
MoD_RSS Three non-executives join HMRC Board MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Iain Clarkson to join National Nuclear Laboratory Board MoD News 0