Can I join the Royal Marines?

Hi, I’m 17 years old and I’ve been wanting to join the Royal Marines for about 5 years. The problem is 2 years ago I had breathing problems for about a week. I went to the doctors and they gave me an asthma inhaler. The inhaler had no efffect in improving my breathing and I soon realised that it wasn’t asthma that I had. It was just a small stage of anxiety (I don’t suffer from this anymore). So I don’t have asthma. I’m extremely fit and have no issues with breathing. Earlier this year I tried joining the army as a mechanic but was turned away because it was seen on my record that I was given an asthma inhaler which is a huge pain cos I don’t have asthma and no one in my family has ever had asthma ever. Is there anything i can do at all to get this sorted cos I’m desperate to start serving and I don’t want to wait another 2 years when there isn’t anything wrong with me. Cheers lads.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Hi, I’m 17 years old and I’ve been wanting to join the Royal Marines for about 5 years. The problem is 2 years ago I had breathing problems for about a week. I went to the doctors and they gave me an asthma inhaler. The inhaler had no efffect in improving my breathing and I soon realised that it wasn’t asthma that I had. It was just a small stage of anxiety (I don’t suffer from this anymore). So I don’t have asthma. I’m extremely fit and have no issues with breathing. Earlier this year I tried joining the army as a mechanic but was turned away because it was seen on my record that I was given an asthma inhaler which is a huge pain cos I don’t have asthma and no one in my family has ever had asthma ever. Is there anything i can do at all to get this sorted cos I’m desperate to start serving and I don’t want to wait another 2 years when there isn’t anything wrong with me. Cheers lads.
If you've wanted to join the Royal Marines for five years, how come you applied to join the Army earlier this year as a Mechanic?

It sounds to me like you've wanted to be a Royal Marine since being knocked back by the Army for four years from your last inhaler prescription and are hoping it doesn't apply for a job that is significantly more physically demanding. This brings into question integrity regarding the circumstances described and the logical next question: "Will the Navy know if it is not declared?" can be answered: Yes.

Mental health issues such as panic attacks, anxiety and depression which require treatment can also be an issue with regard medical suitability for service. If the inhaler was prescribed for a chest infection it may be viewed differently but anxiety would also be an issue unfortunately.