Can i join if not british citizen

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by akmehed_abulur08, Mar 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hoelo

I originanly come from Banglidesh but have moved to the UK. I am claimimg benefits off the gov at the moment, i want to join thenavy but can i join even thoo am not britsh?
  2. Providing that you have lived in the UK for 3 years and have a current visa then the answer is Yes. You will be limited on what jobs are available to you as a none UK citizen.

3. As most Indian take aways are run by people of Bangladeshi origin, please join as a chef. You would be in great demand and the quality of the curry sometimes offered would improve beyond all recognition. :p
  4. Think this might be Nails again!!!!
  5. I think you have to be in the UK for three years, that is what my local AFCO said
  6. Scarface you didn't read SM's post I take it
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

"Kylebishop@" is indeed an unusually British sounding email address for a Bangladeshi national who cannot spell his country of origin.
  8. Recruitment Adviser Mode`

hoelo akmehed….

If they let that gwar prince in you should stand a chance…..
    best of luck... might help if you tell erm you`re gay….
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It would also help if the initial poster had not attempted to make an ill-informed sterotypical racist slur.
  10. If not the Royal Navy, then there is always the French Foriegn Legion. Do your 5 year enlistment, and if you have a good record you can apply to become a French citizen and get one of those nice EEC passports.
    You are then a citizen of Europe.
  11. Joke. Quality of life in the legion is piss poor.
  12. The voice of experience no doubt. :roll:
    I was forgetting of course Discovery Channel Documentaries, books and Wiki.
  13. Haven't we in the very recent past recruited directly from other Commonwealth countries? They'll certainly not have lived in the UK for 3 years!

I had a bit of an argument with a recruiter recently about this as when I joined the regulars, though there was the "3 year rule". a special waiver could be applied for (IIRC it had to be signed at ministerial level). This was considered just a formality. I had to get this as though I was British I had spent my entire childhood living abroad - the only proviso was that I couldn't be cleared for any TS role until I'd spent 3 years in the RN. The recruiter professed complete ignorance about the fact this dispensation ever existed or indeed still exists today. Perhaps someone with access to current regs would enlighten us?
  14. Negate my point and you sir shall have one of your own.

Thanks for sharing PartTimer that does help...hopefully I too am eligible for such a waiver! :p
  15. As you haven't experienced life in the French Foreign Legion you don't have any idea whether it's piss poor or not.
    Therefore you don't have a point just an assumption.
    Just like I can assume that although you claim to be a graduate your research skills are so weak that you can't find or understand information you require regarding salaries or enlistment criteria on the official Royal Navy website or here without assistance.
    But then there may be little validity to my assumption, you may not be dense, just lazy.
  16. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I'm jealous NZ, you get all the schooled ones, whilst I'm left with the fat mongs!
  17. Yes, can't wait for the next installment of the FFL debate. :roll:
  18. Flamer for sure.