Can i appeal the AFCO decision

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by jonwilcox, Jul 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just had some expolrative surgery on my knee with no repair work carried out at all. The surgeon signed me off and declared me fit, however the AFCO GP has declared me unfit for a year.
    What i dont understand is how can a GP undermine a surgeon who is one of the best orthopaedic surgeons in the country. Is there any way of appealing the GP's decision??
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Doubtless 'Angrydoc' will illuminate us all on how a civilian surgeon is not always best qualified to overrule the medical standards for entry as the majority are not fully aware of the standards or the reasons behind the set rules. (I'd happen to agree).

Disappointing though it is, there are set standards & whilst you may appeal against misdiagnosis, you cannot appeal against the medical standards for entry unfortunately.

The same happened to me when I joined after a cartilage operation, so I can empathise entirely.

Good luck!
  3. I think a letter from your consultant .To the AFCO GP Should do the trick . We have The top orthopaedic surgeon at our local Hospital dealing with all the local/international football players etc and his word is LAW :thumright:
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You can get a letter off the Pope if you wish, but certain medical procedures/complaints have a set rehabilitation period before the service will allow you to enter.

Quite possibly the fact that an eminently qualified surgeon saw fit to cut open your knee & insert a camera or whatever for a shufty, would suggest that it wasn't done on a whim and perhaps the underlying complaint rather than the minor op was the reason you were deferred.

Then again, there's no harm in raising the question. I was miffed at the time also.
  5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

It's a shame the exploratory surgery wasn't done on your brain, and then you could've joined up as an Occifer immediately!

6. Ninja has pre-empted my well known anger!

I have every sympathy with you, but at the end of the day:

1. GPs are not inferior beings.
    2. Surgeons are not God (even if they are "the best in the country" (you'd be amazed how many "best in the country" surgeons there are!).
    3. The words of a civilian doctor, no matter how eminent, mean diddly-squat when they relate to Service medical standards. They have no knowledge of our standards (as your case has proven), and it never ceases to annoy me that they often build people's hopes up just to be brought crashing down my the AFCO medical advisor / AIB MO.

In short, even though your knee has been shown to be normal, you have had a camera and a couple of instruments shoved into the joint. With this knowledge, if the RN was to force you to do lots of intense physical exercise and you were to suffer an injury then you'd have a pretty strong legal case for negligence against the RN. That is why the standard exists.

If your knee is normal then, rest assured, things will be fine in a year. I know it's a pain in the ass waiting, but that's the way it is. There's no grounds for appeal, I'm afraid - the standard is there and that is that.
  7. Well said Ninja and AngryDoc,

Unfortunately what they have said is correct. I know it's hard, but the Navy will not go away and will still be recruiting in 12 months time. Use the time wisely and it should help when you do get down to Raleigh.

By the way what job are you hoping to get into.......the reason I ask is there may be waiting time before you can enter, if so your application date is the date you sat the RT. Meaning that when you are fit you should go to the top of any waiting list.

Keep smiling

neil - Supermario

8. Cheers for that guys. I am going in as a diver so i guess that the year is just time to get to my optimum fitness level. What really annoys me is that after the operation i told the AFCO that i had it and i had to see the AFCO GP who at that point said i was unfit for 6 months. which would have taken me to October. I cant understand now why he has changed his mind. Thanks for all the comments guys.
  9. Look on the bright side Sarge peppered got in
  10. I got annoyed that Im uneligible for service for life, never mind 1 year! and to say that I did get in for training a few years ago and now I cant again is gutting!! so wait the 1 year if you have to!! all I could say about doctors civvi or military is... we are all human beings which ARE the same no matter what job your in
  11. Er, unless you can't pass the Medical... then you're a civvy.
  12. read again, we are all human, no matter what JOB your in, being in the forces does not make you any different than any other human being. ITS A JOB, NOT a type of human. We all have the same biology.
  13. I`m afraid that being in the Royal Navy makes you a Special sort of Human Being, It`s not a JOB It`s a way of life, but then you will never know that will you.
  14. What Hig said.
  15. maybe so but you are a human being, simple... and .
  16. and by the way, ok you MAY have a point, but why afraid?
  17. Dry your eyes petal and move on.
    The Legion of Frontiersmen is always looking for keen youing thrusters, a life of adventure awaits you.
  18. Try the French Foreign Legion, or failing that Join the Boy Scouts and do some good with your life, Dib, Dib, Dib, try helping your fellow man, MOST of them are human beings too.
  19. Not long now mate, Hope you get the all clear!
  20. 8O Are you trawling through long dead threads posting [email protected] trying to get your post count up or something? How odd!