Can anyone tell me why - Bootie door gunner

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by WhizzbangDai, Sep 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

My resident AFCO Bootie sniper advises that due to the fact you use the helicopter to close the range down to as little as 200metres, an AW50 with red dot non-magnifying holographic sight gives sufficient accuracy and better appreciation of spatial awareness that a Schmidt & Bender sight does not.

In other words telescopic sights ain't used by Bootie door gunners. Apparently. :wink:
  2. I would have thought that the high chance of collecting the sight in your eye socket due to firing a weapon of that calibre in a relatively unsupported position would be another reason for using a red dot sight. :wink:
  3. Remember the smart ass firing/instructing the Charlie G a nice groove was added to the side of his wooden head.
  4. In my profesional opinion as the only ever RN instrament tech (or so i have been told when i passed the course) You woudn be able to use anything that has to much mag on it, due tot he movement of the helo. Yo would srugle even when the helo is in hover to keep the weapon still enough to get around away.
  5. Oh!!! Danny Boy the R.N. ARTISAN :lol: :lol: :lol: ......English not your strong subject then :wink: :wink: :wink:
  6. Nope not at all. Its my only failing in life haha
  7. Scouse, your English language skills are definitely lacking as well.
  8. That type of sight(reflex) does not suffer from the problems of parallax. Where the dot is is what you are aiming at.

9. No sighting system should suffer from paralax if servicable and bing used in conditions it wa designed for.
  10. Unless a scope is parallax adjusted for the range to target, moving the user's eye position in relation to the centre of the ocular lens will always create parallax. Higher magnification exaggerate this.

The S&B is parallax adjustable, however in a helicopter, the ranges to target change so rapidly that adjustment becomes impractical.
  11. Oh heck this is WAY above and beyond the Marksmanship principles.
  12. In one of my rare sensible moods, I'll second that JJ and I am even looking at my old notes on the subject to kickstart my addeled brain.

Weapons mech jive running riot in my mind now, datum marks, Fire control box 10 and interocular target acquirement in overdrive. :D :D
  13. With you on that one Daffy - position and hold...

and not forgetting the 5th principle, " use the force"