Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone tell me why - Bootie door gunner

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
My resident AFCO Bootie sniper advises that due to the fact you use the helicopter to close the range down to as little as 200metres, an AW50 with red dot non-magnifying holographic sight gives sufficient accuracy and better appreciation of spatial awareness that a Schmidt & Bender sight does not.

In other words telescopic sights ain't used by Bootie door gunners. Apparently. :wink:
 

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
I would have thought that the high chance of collecting the sight in your eye socket due to firing a weapon of that calibre in a relatively unsupported position would be another reason for using a red dot sight. :wink:
 
NZ_Bootneck said:
I would have thought that the high chance of collecting the sight in your eye socket due to firing a weapon of that calibre in a relatively unsupported position would be another reason for using a red dot sight. :wink:

Remember the smart ass firing/instructing the Charlie G a nice groove was added to the side of his wooden head.
 

danny

War Hero
In my profesional opinion as the only ever RN instrament tech (or so i have been told when i passed the course) You woudn be able to use anything that has to much mag on it, due tot he movement of the helo. Yo would srugle even when the helo is in hover to keep the weapon still enough to get around away.
 

scouse

War Hero
Oh!!! Danny Boy the R.N. ARTISAN :lol: :lol: :lol: ......English not your strong subject then :wink: :wink: :wink:
 

danny

War Hero
scouse said:
Oh!!! Danny Boy the R.N. ARTISAN :lol: :lol: :lol: ......English not your strong subject then :wink: :wink: :wink:

Nope not at all. Its my only failing in life haha
 

Zoidberg

War Hero
scouse said:
Oh!!! Danny Boy the R.N. ARTISAN :lol: :lol: :lol: ......English not your strong subject then :wink: :wink: :wink:

Scouse, your English language skills are definitely lacking as well.
 
I

In_my_day

Guest
That type of sight(reflex) does not suffer from the problems of parallax. Where the dot is is what you are aiming at.

IMD
 

danny

War Hero
In_my_day said:
That type of sight(reflex) does not suffer from the problems of parallax. Where the dot is is what you are aiming at.

IMD

No sighting system should suffer from paralax if servicable and bing used in conditions it wa designed for.
 

JonnoJonno

Banned
danny said:
In_my_day said:
That type of sight(reflex) does not suffer from the problems of parallax. Where the dot is is what you are aiming at.

IMD

No sighting system should suffer from paralax if servicable and bing used in conditions it wa designed for.

Unless a scope is parallax adjusted for the range to target, moving the user's eye position in relation to the centre of the ocular lens will always create parallax. Higher magnification exaggerate this.

The S&B is parallax adjustable, however in a helicopter, the ranges to target change so rapidly that adjustment becomes impractical.
 

Rumrat

War Hero
JonnoJonno said:
danny said:
In_my_day said:
That type of sight(reflex) does not suffer from the problems of parallax. Where the dot is is what you are aiming at.

IMD

No sighting system should suffer from paralax if servicable and bing used in conditions it wa designed for.

Unless a scope is parallax adjusted for the range to target, moving the user's eye position in relation to the centre of the ocular lens will always create parallax. Higher magnification exaggerate this.

The S&B is parallax adjustable, however in a helicopter, the ranges to target change so rapidly that adjustment becomes impractical.

In one of my rare sensible moods, I'll second that JJ and I am even looking at my old notes on the subject to kickstart my addeled brain.

Weapons mech jive running riot in my mind now, datum marks, Fire control box 10 and interocular target acquirement in overdrive. :D :D
 

labrum

War Hero
daffy1 said:
Oh heck this is WAY above and beyond the Marksmanship principles.

With you on that one Daffy - position and hold...

and not forgetting the 5th principle, " use the force"
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T I have recently applied for the apprentice chef role can anyone tell me when the sift is? RFA 6
P Pussers rum cup HMS Belfast can anyone tell me anything about this? History 4
U Travel overseas - do we need to tell anyone? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 8
P Can anyone tell me??? Current Affairs 545
mick1199 Anyone else waiting on Capita? Joining the Royal Navy 9
Dusty70 Anyone able to see if BNM and Stirlin are OK ?? Nearest & Dearest 6
J 15th Feb intake date, anyone else? Joining the Royal Navy 1
soleil Dorset Echo: "‘Does Anyone Know My Old Navy Friend?" The Quarterdeck 4
superpom Tabloids anyone Diamond Lil's 27
TechnicPR Does anyone have the HMS Raleigh JI/Kit List? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
F Looking for information about Grandads pre-war ship service record... Can anyone help? History 13
BUCK1939 Anyone got any photos from 1960's of the Ship's Company lining the deck when leaving port. The Fleet 2
Bad CO HMS Arrow - Anyone Know Where the Ship's Bell Is? History 17
F Student Nurse Selection Board!! Anyone else have there dates?! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
slim Anyone should be allowed to 'identify' as black regardless of the colour of their skin or background, say university leaders Current Affairs 16
slim Electric Cars Anyone Own One? Which is the best type to Buy? Current Affairs 21
C If possible, I would like to get in touch with anyone who served as a Royal Navy Officer prior to 1993 please. The Quarterdeck 27
M Does anyone know when the next intake for Seaman Specialists ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
T BFPO delivery service, anyone know how it works? Nearest & Dearest 12
T PRNC Completed - anyone have any questions? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 59
Rodgersthecabinboy Can anyone identify this ship. History 12
M Anyone at the fitness test stage? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
janner Anyone got a few quid to spare? Submariners 4
StephenPhillips Does anyone play Airsoft? Miscellaneous 7
F Anyone joining in September this year ? Joining the Royal Navy 2
D Does anyone have experience with the JobTestPrep guide for AIB? RFA 4
B Hi, I recently sat my RT test and have planned to join as a Warfare Specialist does anyone know the current waiting time for joining the roll? Joining the Royal Navy 3
LateToTheParty HMS Conqueror - Did anyone on here serve on her? Submariners 8
Sumo Anyone looking for work in Guzz Diamond Lil's 8
gregleeds Anyone recognise this rig? History 32
TechFin Anyone know what the Deck Officer Cadetships are like? RFA 3
TechFin Anyone know the needs of the service for Aircrewman right now? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
H PRNC 16th October anyone else? Joining the Royal Navy 2
U Anyone starting Raleigh on January? RFA 10
NateDogg Anyone else got PRNC 30th October? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Mr_X [Asthma] Can anyone help me find the exact policy regarding Oral Steriods? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
A Anyone Starting at HMS Raleigh this September? RFA 16
B Anyone joining got PRNC Date as 18th September and Basic Training 5th November? Joining the Royal Navy 5
Impact Anyone else got an RT test on 18/04? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
C Does anyone know Denis Michael hayes?? Social & Reunions 5
L HMS Raleigh - Starting Date 24th September - Anyone else? Joining the Royal Navy 2
fishhead It could happen to anyone. Land Ops 2
T Upper Age 56, Can Anyone Confirm ? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
NateDogg Can anyone help me please I have questions about vetting?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
NateDogg Any serving Aircraft handlers on here? or anyone applying? Joining the Royal Navy 49
T Waiting to hear back from capita - anyone else? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
T Anyone know the terms or conditoins of re-entry? Joining the Royal Navy 2
S Anyone's son at Raleigh this week? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
J Starting 5th Feb anyone else? HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 17
Madden96 Has anyone tried out one of the Stoic Condition training programs? Sports and Adventure Training 2
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

New Posts

Top