Can anyone remember.....?

I seem to have vague memories of being on a type 42 that carried out weapons firings off the coast of North Wales, and being shipped ashore in liberty boats to this small village, where I can only describe the local pub as being akin to the "Slaughtered Lamb" from American Werewolf. We were stared at all evening by the locals as though we all had two heads. I am desperately trying to remember the name of the place, can anyone help me remember the name of the range/place?

Cheers

T42

lsadirty

War Hero
Had dealings with this incident at the MoD. There was an immediate RN presence at the crash site (they pulled 3 frigates of the Derry Squadron (17FS) out of a visit to Belfast to assist), but only landed wreckage and human remains. There was a comprehensive review of all RAF flights, missile firings, but as stated, the range was closed that weekend. There were attempts to make something of the missing RN ships logs, but as 2 of the vessels were Type 14 frigates, armed with 2 single Bofors (deadly to aircraft at high altitude), nothing really could be laid at our door, but the saga went on for months. Probably a very unfortunate material failure in a very sensitive area, blown out of all proportions by a rather hysterical press at the time.

NotmeChief

Banned
type42stoker said:
I seem to have vague memories of being on a type 42 that carried out weapons firings off the coast of North Wales, and being shipped ashore in liberty boats to this small village, where I can only describe the local pub as being akin to the "Slaughtered Lamb" from American Werewolf. We were stared at all evening by the locals as though we all had two heads. I am desperately trying to remember the name of the place, can anyone help me remember the name of the range/place?

Cheers

T42

Don't think you were being stared at, there have been a million matlots through there and they must have been used to them by the time you paid a visit.

Feck guys remember spending weeks at Aberporth on BRISTOL lots of expensive missiles lots of failures and a big fire in Milford Haven those were the days not even going to mention IKARA dive deep boys

[/quote]

Don't think you were being stared at, there have been a million matelots through there and they must have been used to them by the time you paid a visit.[/quote]

Well I suspect it was the small village mentality kicking in. Either that or they were amazed to see bi-pedal lifeforms in their "village"..... :lol:

type42stoker said:

Cheers

T42

The British Military they probably remember the time Churchill sent in the army with fixed bayonets to route the welsh coal miners at the Tonypandy Riot told around the home fires for long long times.

Of course like other tales it never happened but Uncle Blodwyn was there and he told our cousin from the Rhonnda who told our kid from Cardiff who told our? so it must be true.