Can anyone identify this ship.

Oooh Game on ;) I'm guessing she's either a troop transport judging by the number of boats, or maybe a Q ship.

When I've got some time I'll have a good search. Where did the Phot come from?

It was posted by a lady on Liverpool Old Photos Web Site , no information or date known . I thought I would pass it over to greater minds than mine, my first thoughts was that she was a Trooper or Survey Vessel.

Bit of a long shot and also out of the box, she MIGHT be a private yacht from the Royal Yacht Squadron as they are entitled to wear a white ensign. However, I also think she might be a bit large for that - no Russian oligarchs in those days!

I think you may have nailed it there Wrecker, I was thinking Boar War, anyone know when the R. F. A. went over to the Blue Ensign.
I have been playing this game, too.
However I'm not sure @WreckerL is correct. The ship in the OP has a square, transom stern. with yet another ship's boat on davits over. Neither are apparent in Wreck's post.
Not that I have yet come up with anything better.... I did look at a number of past Royal Yachts, but none have that many boats, and the funnel is ( I would have hoped) too dirty for a RY.

I have been playing this game, too.
However I'm not sure @WreckerL is correct. The ship in the OP has a square, transom stern. with yet another ship's boat on davits over. Neither are apparent in Wreck's post.
Not that I have yet come up with anything better.... I did look at a number of past Royal Yachts, but none have that many boats, and the funnel is ( I would have hoped) too dirty for a RY.
Not saying it is the Maine as I can't find any photos of her from astern that were taken at the time, it was the only one(so far) with the right mast/funnel arrangement carrying enough boats.

it may not even be a white ensign as the German Naval ensign (for instance) is similar, especially in old B&W photos taken from a distance

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
The dock is definately Naval ? - boat boom in bottom left and the boats appear to be whalers - I tried looking for the Tailors in the photo but no luck