Can anyone help?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by noremorsejoe, Nov 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am looking for a book about WW2 minesweepers for my old Dads christmas present.
    He served on HMS Spanker as a telegrapher and as he is now 85 there isn't much else he wants or needs.
    Any suggestions please.
  2. I've just looked on Amazon under Minesweepers and there are a few to choose from. Have a look at Outsweeps and also His Majesty's Minesweepers. This has last one has a few sellers but it was a 1943 publication by the Ministry of Information (so it says). It also gives you the websites of the guys selling it so you could ask them any questions direct.

Good Luck!
  3. Thanks a lot
  4. Hms Spanker was an ''Algerine class'' mine sweeper [J 226] built 1942
    and sold to the Belgian Navy in 1953 [renamed DE BROUWER]

Have a search through Amazon for Algerine class Minesweepers and possibly Google -- there may even be a site for old Algerine crew members.

Good Hunting.

:nemo: :nemo:
  5. I've done so more digging (must be bored) and found the name of the following book: 'The Role of the Motor Minesweeper in World War 2 By Michael J. Melvin BEM'.

If you paste that into google it takes you to a site where there are plenty of out of print books about minesweepers in WWII. There is also a thriving chat site on Harry Tate's Navy website.
  6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Not wanting to appear crass (which I am, no doubt) did someone in the Admiralty have a scoring chart for the amount of ships/shore establishments given double entra....fcuk, dont do french..... suggestive names?
  7. I have got the MMS book --its total reference stuff --few stories but MMS
    boats were wooden built by America --called ''Mickey mouse'' boats.
    Algerines were big ocean going vessels.

:nemo: :nemo:
  8. Greenie, this has got to be a wind up! ;)
  9. Is there not an Algerine Association that could help - saw them marching on Remembrance Sunday ? Try
  10. Off topic, sorry, but:
    Well, there was always the 'Gay' class frigate/destroyer/corvettte or whatever they were. Names went 'Gay Cavalier', 'Gay Bombardier' at the like.
  11. The 12 "Gay" class fast attack craft were ordered in 1951 and were launched in '52/'53.

Built mainly of wood they were 75" long,20" wide and had a4" draught. They were powered by 3 Packard engines, and had a crew of 13.

They could be configured as MTB or MGB.

MTB's had two 21" torpedoes and two 40mm guns. MGB's had a sawn off 4.5" and one 40mm gun.

Semper Strenuissima