Can anybody name the ship?

Discussion in 'History' started by ShortFatBloke, Jul 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK, so I don't want the actual name but the class would be good.

Other information - I believe that it is a destroyer, in the med in Dec '44.

Thanks.

SFB

2. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

wouldn't argue with that...

3. Not Flower class Corvette, they only had single gun up front.

4. Looks like small arms training on the Massive. :)

5. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Concur twin 4", fitted to every class of frigate, Hunts, standard secondary armament on cruisers, not a hope of pinning that photo to an individual ship. And the wartime cap tally would just say 'HMS'.

6. Could be a "K" class, they also had twin 4".

7. Do you know any of the names of the blokes in the pics, as crew list are available for quite a few wartime ships, complete with dates.

8. Bay Class, or Loch class?
    The chap wearing his cap regulation like
    Could be mistaken for or is none other than "Norway Chris" :D

9. Could also be Black Swan class

10. Was Norway Chris on that one as well? :D (I'm going to get slated when he comes on line)

11. Rumrat told me he built it...time to go

12. Time for both of us to take cover then. "Heads up West!" :D

13. Edited for clarity:

The family story is that my father did serve on HMS Tremadoc Bay (which was commissioned Oct '45). However, the writing on the back of the photo says 'messmates 12/44' and so I don't think the two match up. It is possible that he was on a similar Loch/Bay class ship beforehand.

Gents, thanks for your help and efforts on this one, it is much appreciated.

SFB

14. You should be able to obtain your father's service record showing the ships in which he served. Advice and contact details are available on the Veterans UK website here.

15. Don't think so, the L class had 4 fitted with 4 twin 4" HA/LA mountings - LANCE, LEGION, LIVELY and GURKHA((2) ex LARNE), all lost 1942.

16. Photo dated 12/44. Only hope is of getting hold of your fathers SC and see what he was serving on. ( already suggested)

17. Twin 4" were not fitted to the River Class Frigates :!: