can any old World war 2 commandoe identify with this service record please

sweetpea

Lantern Swinger
Excellent thanks for all your time and your knowledge, a lot of info. has been confirmed to me. Just the detail that is missing...... always the detail lol........ first in last out...........
Keep digging for info, it's out there so don't give up.

You might try contacting Tony Chapman, Official LST and Landing Craft Association (Historian/archivist) [email protected].

Good luck! :)

SP.

Last edited:
Good morning / afternoon, sadly the link to Tony Chapman, Archivist and Historian of the LST and Landing Craft Association is kaput....... no other contacts?

sweetpea

Lantern Swinger
Good morning / afternoon, sadly the link to Tony Chapman, Archivist and Historian of the LST and Landing Craft Association is kaput....... no other contacts?
Oh dear :( Sorry about that.

No, I know of no other email address for Tony Chapman.
You might get lucky if you visit the WW2Talk forum, as it is the type of place that WW2 researchers and archivists lurk. Ask on there as I am sure someone will know of him.

Good luck. :)

SP.

B

Billy Q

Keep digging for info, it's out there so don't give up.

You might try contacting Tony Chapman, Official LST and Landing Craft Association (Historian/archivist) [email protected].

Good luck! :)

SP.
Sadly the late Tony Chapman

D-Day Landings

by

The late Tony Chapman, archivist/historian for the LST and Landing Craft Association (Royal Navy).

Keep Moving

Keep moving lads ... keep moving

Don't huddle on this beach

Don't make yourselves a target

For those guns up there to reach

There's the seawall ... over there

Don't falter ... or despair

Don't look ... at comrades falling

Around you ... everywhere

We can take this ... on the chin

Keep moving ... and keep praying

Before those guns ... they zero in.

A Quiet Place

It's quiet here ... so quiet

Standing on this hill

But if I stand here too much longer

My eyes with tears will fill

Looking down ... I'm there again

On that beach ... just down below

Far different ... to that morning

That I remember so

That beach ... it was a hell on earth

Where no man ... should ever go

I remember

I was down there

I should know

Don't cry now ... dear old soldier

That was many years ago

The Coxswain

There are forty of us waiting

In this little LCA

We sailors ... and these soldiers

We're taking in today

They came aboard our mother ship

Now several days ago

They're growing very pale

As the strain begins to show

They're only boys ... the most of them

Eighteen to twenty three

For some of them ... tomorrow

Is a day ... they'll never see

I can't promise we'll all make it lads

But I'll do my best ... you'll see

I'll remember you young soldiers

This day ... in Normandy

God bless you lads ... and keep you safe

We'll meet again ... one day

This is it then lads, keep your heads down

AWAY ALL BOATS ... AWAY.

I Stand Here Now

thanks for letting me know, Tony seemed like a dedicated principled man of character judging by his words. I hope he has peace and his family lovely memories.

B

Billy Q

thanks for letting me know, Tony seemed like a dedicated principled man of character judging by his words. I hope he has peace and his family lovely memories.
LCT-445 / LCT-2445 - Landing Craft Tank Photo Index
www.navsource.org/archives/10/18/180445.htm
28 Feb 2014 -... of service and transferred to the RoyalNavy, 6 June 1944; Redesignated HMLCT(5)-2445and transported via LST to the China-India-Burma ...

Looks as if she finished her days with the Indian navy
See http://www.royalnavyresearcharchive.org.uk/BPF-EIF/EIF_Ships.htm#.V0A9D_krKY0
The British and East Indies Fleets---The forgotten Fleets of WW2
You'll find LCT 2445 if you track down the list under LCT's

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Billy q............ YES I looked at this site, yes there she is LCT 445/LCT2445. Can i ask.........
LCT445/2445 history............
  • Placed in service in September 1942, at Philadelphia, PA.- that means she was shipped from USA to Med on LST334
  • During World War II LCT(5)-445 was assigned to the Europe-Africa-Middle East Theater and participated in the following campaign:
    Europe-Africa-Middle East Campaign

Sicilian occupation, 10 July 1943 On my uncles Record (july 1943) at the same time he was being shipped to HMS Salsette, Bombay, India. DID he participate/pickup LCT 445 use it in Italy, then ship it to India 1943-1944, Bring LCT445 back to Anzio March 1944, then onto Corsica, then return LCT445 onto Jan 1945, Scotland. All BEFORE it was reposted and assigned to India??? Whats your opinion, is this 'normal' RN procedure for boats and men?
  • Placed out of service and transferred to the Royal Navy, 6 June 1944
  • Redesignated HM LCT(5)-2445 and transported via LST to the China-India-Burma Theater of the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign to ferry supplies from Calcutta to Chittagong
  • Returned to US Naval custody, date unknown
  • Struck from the Naval Register, 26 February 1946
  • Final Disposition, fate unknown
  • LCT(5)-445 earned one battle star for World War II service

B

Billy Q

Thanks Billy q............ YES I looked at this site, yes there she is LCT 445/LCT2445. Can i ask.........
LCT445/2445 history............
  • Placed in service in September 1942, at Philadelphia, PA.- that means she was shipped from USA to Med on LST334
  • During World War II LCT(5)-445 was assigned to the Europe-Africa-Middle East Theater and participated in the following campaign:
    Europe-Africa-Middle East Campaign

Sicilian occupation, 10 July 1943 On my uncles Record (july 1943) at the same time he was being shipped to HMS Salsette, Bombay, India. DID he participate/pickup LCT 445 use it in Italy, then ship it to India 1943-1944, Bring LCT445 back to Anzio March 1944, then onto Corsica, then return LCT445 onto Jan 1945, Scotland. All BEFORE it was reposted and assigned to India??? Whats your opinion, is this 'normal' RN procedure for boats and men?
  • Placed out of service and transferred to the Royal Navy, 6 June 1944
  • Redesignated HM LCT(5)-2445 and transported via LST to the China-India-Burma Theater of the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign to ferry supplies from Calcutta to Chittagong
  • Returned to US Naval custody, date unknown
  • Struck from the Naval Register, 26 February 1946
  • Final Disposition, fate unknown
  • LCT(5)-445 earned one battle star for World War II service
There was no "normal" RN procedure in WW2. Lease-lend material was quickly and quite often badly built. Whilst larger vessels were shipped back to US at war's end or sold /gifted to other powers, smaller vessels will have been disposed of locally. Many served in the Scottish Highlands and Islands ferrying sheep between islands until the early 80's to my knowledge. LCT's travelling large distances will have been transported on some form of LS. Presumably that's how your uncle travelled to Salsette

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, however I came across this while researching my own father's WWII service history with RMASG (he landed on Juno on D-Day and sailed across on an LCT(A)Mk 5 of 105 Flotilla Force J.

Here is an account on the BBC WW2 People's War archive by R.G Watts who was a Wireaman aboard LCT2455. This craft would have landed on Nan Red Sector of Juno at Bernieres-sur-Mer, carrying Centaur CS Mk IV tanks of 2nd Regiment, RM Armoured Support Group (my father's unit).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/23/a2096723.shtml

Hope this helps.

Latest Threads